Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #1681
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Like picture-taking devices from view cameras (19th C.) to smartphones (21st C.),
the viewfinder is the screen on the back.

There are lots of us who don't like spending our time peering through keyholes!
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I hope your smiley face indicates you are just kidding.
Surely. The eyepiece viewfinder and the 19th C view camera have image isolation in common, except that the view camera had black cloth in place of the eyecup. People would look at you with suspicion if you were to cover your head with a black cloth whilst using a Q.

EVFs were the exception when the K-01 was released. Now, they’re almost universal. In another thread, I posted a size comparison between the K-01 and the Leica CL, to illustrate that an EVF doesn’t need to add greatly to a camera’s bulk.

09-23-2018, 04:48 PM - 1 Like   #1682
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Surely. The eyepiece viewfinder and the 19th C view camera have image isolation in common, except that the view camera had black cloth in place of the eyecup. People would look at you with suspicion if you were to cover your head with a black cloth whilst using a Q.
When I first joined here and started looking at getting a Q-7, one of the members tried to convince me that all I needed was a hat with a large brim. Once I did get the Q-7, I quickly established that his words were goofy, but a Hoodman would suffice .... that experience convinced me to purchase a K-30 instead of a K-01. I am firmly convinced that Pentax learned the wrong lesson from the K-01. In the language of politics, they 'learned' "MILC is not for us", when the answer "EVF is essential for MILC" would have worked better.
09-23-2018, 05:51 PM - 1 Like   #1683
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
they 'learned' "MILC is not for us", when the answer "EVF is essential for MILC" would have worked better.
Agree. There were at lot of 'issues' with the k-01 no EVF being one of them. But nothing that could not have been sorted out in follow on models. But they decided that instead of improving on it they would just drop it. I think that was a mistake and a K-02 with improvements might have succeeded. But we do not get to see the numbers so maybe it was really bad.
09-23-2018, 08:55 PM   #1684
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Agree. There were at lot of 'issues' with the k-01 no EVF being one of them. But nothing that could not have been sorted out in follow on models. But they decided that instead of improving on it they would just drop it. I think that was a mistake and a K-02 with improvements might have succeeded. But we do not get to see the numbers so maybe it was really bad.
As far as I can see, the people who rejected (i.e. chose not to buy) the K-01 did so for one or more of the following reasons.
- too expensive
- too big
- no viewfinder
- not weathersealed
- unconventional design
- lack of control points
- general sense of unease at that time (not knowing that Ricoh would change direction toward FF)

So you could “fix” some aspect of the K-01 and a few people would be persuaded, but most people would not care. Or you could try to address all the complaints and make something like the K-30/K-50, but mirrorless. They made the K-30.

Personally, I love my K-01. It’s a one-off camera, and has been with me on many travels. I wouldn’t wish it were any different, but at the same time I don’t think it would necessarily make sense for Ricoh to repeat the exercise and hope for better outcome.

09-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #1685
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Again, as I have asked you in another thread - What is the basis for this assertion?
It's a joke. We know nothing.
09-23-2018, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #1686
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
We know nothing.
My friend Sgt Shultz is with you!
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's a joke.
09-24-2018, 02:37 AM - 3 Likes   #1687
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
As far as I can see, the people who rejected (i.e. chose not to buy) the K-01 did so for one or more of the following reasons.
- too expensive
- too big
- no viewfinder
- not weathersealed
- unconventional design
- lack of control points
- general sense of unease at that time (not knowing that Ricoh would change direction toward FF)

So you could “fix” some aspect of the K-01 and a few people would be persuaded, but most people would not care. Or you could try to address all the complaints and make something like the K-30/K-50, but mirrorless. They made the K-30.

Personally, I love my K-01. It’s a one-off camera, and has been with me on many travels. I wouldn’t wish it were any different, but at the same time I don’t think it would necessarily make sense for Ricoh to repeat the exercise and hope for better outcome.
The best things about the K-01 were the size, image quality (which was really nice), and the fact that it kept the k mount.

Most everything wasn't so great. Auto focus was pretty poor, there was no viewfinder, frame rate and buffer not so good. And the release price was 750 dollars which was really high for a camera that didn't give the level of performance of a camera like the K-30.

If Pentax learned from the K-01 that making a mirrorless camera with a K mount is a mistake, I think they learned the wrong lessons. I think the lessons to be learned are that you need to price cameras for what they are not (not for what their styling is) and that you need to have a certain level of performance in your camera -- whether it is an SLR or MILC.

09-24-2018, 05:24 AM   #1688
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The best things about the K-01 were the size, image quality (which was really nice), and the fact that it kept the k mount.

Most everything wasn't so great. Auto focus was pretty poor, there was no viewfinder, frame rate and buffer not so good.
Except for the pentaprism,
what you say about the K-01 here
is what people have also said about the K-1.

I was using a Tamron 17-50/2.8 on DSLRs when I bought the K-01,
and the CDAF on the K-01 was the only way to get the Tammy
to focus properly at the wide end.

So I cannot agree with your comment on the K-01's autofocus.
It's not fast, but it's accurate.
09-24-2018, 06:21 AM   #1689
Pentaxian

Wasn't focusing for K-01 same as LV focusing for K-30?
09-24-2018, 07:31 AM   #1690
Veteran Member

Well, even on a DSLR, CDAF in Liveview is often the only way to make the Tamron 17-50 focus properly... Let's say the Tamron hasn't the most reliable or predictable autofocus, to say the least. Some copy can really drive you mad...

Last edited by CarlJF; 09-24-2018 at 07:44 AM.
09-24-2018, 07:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1691
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Except for the pentaprism,
what you say about the K-01 here
is what people have also said about the K-1.

The K-1 II is in a whole different category. Not sure if you have used it, but it has the fastest auto focus any Pentax camera I have used. Frame rate is 4.5 fps, which is significantly better than the K-01 when it is shooting RAW images. Not sure what kind of buffer you got with the K-01, but I could shoot a burst of three RAW files followed by a 2 second or so pause while those images were written to the card. You could also use single shot mode which basically required buffer clearing after each shot.

I don't own any Tamron lenses, but my guess is that they would actually function better with the live view of any modern camera (K3, K-P, K-1) compared to the K-01. My lenses all functioned worse on the K-01, particularly the DFA 100 macro which was basically unusable, except in manual focus mode.

I sound like I hate the K-01, but I'm a Pentaxian and I can make most things work, as long as the image coming off the sensor is good. For landscape, I enjoyed it a lot, but I just think it's (lack of) functionality compared to other cameras on the market, combined with its high release price, explained its failure.

(Pentax K-01 with FA 31)

09-24-2018, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #1692
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quick update ya'll....

The reason why there are no rumors out there yet is because Ricoh are completely buttoned down until the announcement. No press. We won't know till the announcement happens. That's news as of 15 minutes ago. But yet again, the third time, I've been told an announcement is happening.

Just thought I'd relay...

Carl
09-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #1693
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Well, even on a DSLR, CDAF in Liveview is often the only way to make the Tamron 17-50 focus properly... Let's say the Tamron hasn't the most reliable or predictable autofocus, to say the least. Some copy can really drive you mad...
My Tamron 70-200 is completely unusable because of focus issues, even on the CDAF K-01.
09-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #1694
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Quick update ya'll....

The reason why there are no rumors out there yet is because Ricoh are completely buttoned down until the announcement. No press. We won't know till the announcement happens. That's news as of 15 minutes ago. But yet again, the third time, I've been told an announcement is happening.

Just thought I'd relay...

Carl
Any chance you can find out when that announcement will be?
09-24-2018, 08:30 AM   #1695
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
Any chance you can find out when that announcement will be?
Tonight at 10:00pm UTC, I would imagine.
Closed Thread