Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 03:35 AM   #1771
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well Photokina isn't over yet. Maybe there is more news coming. We'll see.

---------- Post added 09-25-2018 at 03:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
To be honest with you, I am not impressed. All this "buttoned down" secrecy looks like an attempt by Ricoh to manufacture some news when they didn't have any genuine news. This was not your 'fault'. You never were 'on the hook' ..... but Ricoh didn't impress me any; this was a non-event from my perspective.
I was hoping for more too. Maybe there will be more, I don't know.

I was told that I would be emailed the press release as soon as it came out. I was sleeping when this news happened, and no email yet .

So yeah, of the two of us....

Carl

09-25-2018, 03:45 AM   #1772
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Well Photokina isn't over yet. Maybe there is more news coming. We'll see.

I was hoping for more too. Maybe there will be more, I don't know.

I was told that I would be emailed the press release as soon as it came out. I was sleeping when this news happened, and no email yet .

So yeah, of the two of us....

Carl
There are a few more hours left in the Japanese 'today' when you were told the announcement would be made ........
09-25-2018, 04:03 AM   #1773
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
I like GR concept but this is "Pentax News and Rumors"
I have a smart phone which I selected for the camera inside it. I have a Q-7. I have zero interest in the camera I will probably call the "GRRRR".
09-25-2018, 04:40 AM   #1774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not as down on the idea of a GRIII as you are but this is a bit underwhelming. Maybe the full specs aren't out but no WR and no viewfinder.

I suppose it comes down to price. A GRII is $600. If they price the III at $800 or $1000 there's no way. Even at $600... there's more productive things I could do with $600.

Even my Dad, who is a pocket camera user, would rather have the features of a Sony or Panasonic. He wants viewfinder and zoom more than pure image quality.

09-25-2018, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #1775
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Maybe the full specs aren't out but no WR and no viewfinder.
No WR would be a disappointment, but the addition of dust removal addresses the main problem. No viewfinder? It is an optional accessory if you want one, but for most GRists the size penalty of a built-in one would be too great. Clearly neither you or your dad are the target, but it's a happy day for those that are.
09-25-2018, 04:55 AM   #1776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
No WR would be a disappointment, but the addition of dust removal addresses the main problem. No viewfinder? It is an optional accessory if you want one, but for most GRists the size penalty of a built-in one would be too great. Clearly neither you or your dad are the target, but it's a happy day for those that are.
I'm as concerned about wet as I am dust. Maybe just because my last vacation was Iceland and even though I'm mostly a prime shooter I rented a 16-85mm and it stayed on the camera a lot because of the weather. I suppose with a camera as small as the GR it's easier to keep it out of the rain with pocket/hat/etc.

I'm glad the GRIII exists, I love that there's a larger sensor compact available from Ricoh/Pentax. I know the earlier models got great reviews and in a world with unlimited resources I'd have one. But I'm not sure this is (insert final price) better than my Google Pixel for casual photography when I don't want to carry the DSLR.
09-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #1777
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
But I'm not sure this is (insert final price) better than my Google Pixel for casual photography when I don't want to carry the DSLR.
No, it's absolutely not. Because it is absolutely not for 'casual photography'.

09-25-2018, 05:51 AM   #1778
Veteran Member

I missed it. Was the GRIII the only announcement?
09-25-2018, 05:51 AM   #1779
Veteran Member

09-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #1780
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Announcement of it being in the pipeline...Yes. Not that it counts as an announcement when everybody knows already, but there are some specs and a predicted date for them to miss.
09-25-2018, 06:02 AM   #1781
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photokina, Ricoh has Confirmed .... What??

If this is the only "news" thus far, I suppose there isn't going to be much more announced during the week of September 26-29.
Of course, one would always want to be hopeful for the next one scheduled for May 8-11, 2019.

All that said ... I'm out of here until real news or "confirmation" materialise.

Cheers!
09-25-2018, 06:55 AM - 2 Likes   #1782
Pentaxian

Suggestion for a next thread:

Photo Plus Expo, Ricoh have confirmed their confirmation

Photo Plus Expo | Photography Tradeshow for Pro Photographers
09-25-2018, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #1783
Veteran Member

So I'm presuming "IF" we do get a K3-II replacement announcement next year then it will just be a confirmation that they are hoping to have it out sometime in 2020?

I know there are limited resources and I know Pentax are only a small player in the market now but it pains me to say it, ... they really aren't doing themselves any favours and by the time they get a new camera out they will have a much smaller user base than it is now.

As a side note I would love to know how many active forum users there were 5 years ago compared with today.
09-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #1784
Pentaxian

Things can go very, very fast in today's world:
QuoteOriginally posted by ePHOTOzine:
Sigma Set To Axe SA Mount Cameras - Sigma won't be releasing any more SA mount cameras, as they shift over to make L-mount models.

Sigma has announced at Photokina that it will not be making any more SA mount cameras.

The news comes as an alliance has been announced by Sigma, Leica and Panasonic to work on new L-mount cameras and lenses.

Sigma has said that they will still be making SA mount lenses for existing SA mount users however no more cameras with SA mount will be made.
Source: Sigma Set To Axe SA Mount Cameras | ePHOTOzine
09-25-2018, 07:36 AM   #1785
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
So we finally know. And I can be let off the hook...?

Well you were right, they announced "somethihg", so you are free to go. However it is no camera, no lens, just a promise they will bring the GR next year. How typical for Ricoh in last years: later, next spring, someday... though it would bee too little and too late if it was today.
Closed Thread