Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 08:44 PM - 2 Likes   #1816
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
:)

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That’s odd, because I recall reading something earlier today that suggested development models were out with users (not sure about the “professionals” though), which I thought was part of an official announcement, but it isn’t in those links, nor in any other that I can find, now.
You're not going to see detailed first hand account yet online guys- although I did see the same you did. Trust me, the GR is very close to production level. Lots of tuning to do, mostly with firmware n such. Just happen to be close to what's going on and reporting, as I said I would

09-25-2018, 11:05 PM   #1817
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sbh Quote
The latest Capture One update 11.3 (perfectly timed for Photokina) makes me think that Fuji pulls all strings they can grab. The GFX 50s is now supported by Capture One which makes it the only none-PhaseOne medium format camera there afaik.

There is even a dedicated version of Capture One for Fuji. I wish Pentax (or Ricoh) could pull this off too.
I downloaded v11.3 and it has zero (0) improvements for Pentax cameras. This time it is all Fuji.

---------- Post added 09-25-18 at 11:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
+1. That one blew me away too. It makes me wonder if Phase One is trying to democratize their software vs. being exclusive. Remember, they initially offered support for non-MF cameras because they acknowledged professionals may use a smaller body in parallel with their own Phase One body. After Apple obsoleted Aperture they probably got a lot of enthusiasts, hobbyists, and pros who don't use MF cameras. Positive word of mouth recommendations on the net added even more users. I bet their software now greatly overshadows their hardware. They are starting to see more dollars roll in and want even more rolling in. Why only have 10k users worldwide when you can have 100k or even more worldwide?

This could be the start of a new trend for them. They will offer free or "free-mium" versions of their software to entire users to upgrade to the Pro version. If they did this with Ricoh then we may get support pixel-shifted images!!
Ain't gonna happen. If Capture One can not support pixel shift on Sony, they will never support it for Pentax. As I said, absolutely no additional support provided for Pentax.

I say this as a confirmed Capture One advocate. As long as I do my Exiftool thing to get lens information into the system I will continue to use it. But don't waste your breath talking about what if this or that. Somewhere in the past Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh made Phase One angry, the don't even have a decent list of lens profiles. They will not update any new information either. Sad but true.

And I predicted that Photokina would have zero announcements from the Pentax side of the house - and I was correct. Nada, Nothing.
09-25-2018, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #1818
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Just a question: are you in the process of aquiring any of these items?
I donīt have to, I have just bought a new camera and a couple of lenses in August and am very happy with it. However this is not about my will to buy Panasonic or Fuji, its about the future of these brands and the innovations they bring compared to Pentax/Ricoh. You surely see a diffenrence between announcing a brand new system, a first fullframe mirrorless camera (actually two) by Panasonic or a worlds first 100MPx mirrorless medium format camera by Fuji and announcing the development of new generation of... a compact camera. And this clearly demonstrates the difference between Ricoh and the rest regarding inovation, willingness to invest in the brand, perspective and future. Pentax, once a leader, is now only a follower, and a late one.
09-25-2018, 11:42 PM - 2 Likes   #1819
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
Pentax, once a leader.....
When was that? I'm in my 40s and I don't remember that in my lifetime.

09-25-2018, 11:45 PM - 1 Like   #1820
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Trust me, the GR is very close to production level.
If this was true, Ricoh wouldnīt announce the introduction in Spring 2019 (and yes, the materials said "spring"), which is half a year, a loooong time in photo industry and basically half of a life-cycle of many cameras. If the development was "close to production" and "already being tested by photographers", the announcement would be in 1-2 months, not 6.
But anyhow I appreciate your optimism, if everyone was as sceptical (I say realistic) as me, Pentax would be dead already. And Pentax needs believers willing to wait.

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 08:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Medium format digital SLR for example. Letīs give credit where itīs due.
09-25-2018, 11:53 PM   #1821
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Well before both your and my lifetime. In the 50's and 60's they were a leading brand
09-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #1822
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Well before both your and my lifetime. In the 50's and 60's they were a leading brand
And 70s and early 80s in some ways - the ME Super was still a popular camera - the decline didn't really come until they held back on AF, which might have been for technical reasons, might have been because they were better placed than most to know about Honeywell's intention to sue for patent infringement, might have been for corporate reasons we'll never know.

09-26-2018, 12:13 AM   #1823
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Could you please point out where working copies being in photographers' hands are mentioned, either in the US press release

Ricoh to debut highly anticipated RICOH GR III high-end digital compact camera at Photokina 2018

or in the German press release?

NEWS RICOH GR III - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH or https://www.ricoh-imaging.de/media/54eeb3ef3ba23451269c559ccd57e8c7/PI_RI_GR...g_25-09-18.pdf
I read the German site announcement and to me it sounds like the camera is in development stage. Not near finished, but specs are mostly sort out. They still have 7 months to finish it and put it in production before end of spring.

I think any other claims about the GRiii being ready are just wishful thinking.
09-26-2018, 12:57 AM   #1824
ebk
Loyal Site Supporter

a new GR III world shocking news
09-26-2018, 01:42 AM   #1825
Pentaxian

I guess the only 'world-shocking news' Pentax might be still capable of is either hybrid EVF/OVF viewfinder or full format 645.
09-26-2018, 02:04 AM   #1826
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
+1. That one blew me away too. It makes me wonder if Phase One is trying to democratize their software vs. being exclusive. Remember, they initially offered support for non-MF cameras because they acknowledged professionals may use a smaller body in parallel with their own Phase One body. After Apple obsoleted Aperture they probably got a lot of enthusiasts, hobbyists, and pros who don't use MF cameras. Positive word of mouth recommendations on the net added even more users. I bet their software now greatly overshadows their hardware. They are starting to see more dollars roll in and want even more rolling in. Why only have 10k users worldwide when you can have 100k or even more worldwide?

This could be the start of a new trend for them. They will offer free or "free-mium" versions of their software to entire users to upgrade to the Pro version. If they did this with Ricoh then we may get support pixel-shifted images!!
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
For one moment is thought I was dreaming here. I have used Capture one since v3, and never thought I would ever see them support a MF camera other than their own backs.
This Photokina is one to remember.

Chris
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I downloaded v11.3 and it has zero (0) improvements for Pentax cameras. This time it is all Fuji.

---------- Post added 09-25-18 at 11:06 PM ----------

Ain't gonna happen. If Capture One can not support pixel shift on Sony, they will never support it for Pentax. As I said, absolutely no additional support provided for Pentax.

I say this as a confirmed Capture One advocate. As long as I do my Exiftool thing to get lens information into the system I will continue to use it. But don't waste your breath talking about what if this or that. Somewhere in the past Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh made Phase One angry, the don't even have a decent list of lens profiles. They will not update any new information either. Sad but true.

And I predicted that Photokina would have zero announcements from the Pentax side of the house - and I was correct. Nada, Nothing.
I always thought locking out other MF cameras was a bit narrow-minded.
However, I don't think that Phase One sees a relevant business case in Fuji cameras but rather Fuji approached Phase One.
That would be not much different that what Pentax does with Silkypix. DCU is a version of Silkypix Studio just for Pentax. But I think Fuji picked the better Software developers (although Capture One wasn't a relevant player at the time when Pentax made their decision).
09-26-2018, 02:26 AM - 1 Like   #1827
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
If this was true, Ricoh wouldnīt announce the introduction in Spring 2019 (and yes, the materials said "spring"), which is half a year, a loooong time in photo industry and basically half of a life-cycle of many cameras. If the development was "close to production" and "already being tested by photographers", the announcement would be in 1-2 months, not 6.
But anyhow I appreciate your optimism, if everyone was as sceptical (I say realistic) as me, Pentax would be dead already. And Pentax needs believers willing to wait.

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 08:47 AM ----------

Medium format digital SLR for example. Letīs give credit where itīs due.
Medium Format digital had been around for a long time when Pentax released the 645D. It may have been a bit cheaper than other options on the market at the time, but it certainly wasn't ground breaking.

I've been shooting with Pentax since I got a *ist film camera and eventually moved to a K100 and I don't remember any time during that period when I would have said Pentax was a "leader." They have interesting features and nice glass, but the purposely do not choose segments of the market that are covered by others at this point.

On a different note, next year is going to have to be a crazy year for Pentax. The K3 II sequel will come out, the K70 and 645z are both due a refresh some time next year and there should be a couple of new lenses coming out the door. Hopefully they can accomplish most of that and people will be a bit more optimistic.
09-26-2018, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #1828
Pentaxian

I'm at the Ricoh's stand - which is disappointingly smaller. The GR III is displayed under glass but that's all new.
I want my money back

OTOH I've seen Mr. Takashi Arai (too scared to approach him, lol). Adam, please make sure to ask all the righr questions.
09-26-2018, 03:02 AM   #1829
Pentaxian

Not a single roadmap update?XD even for date in small font on the bottom?
09-26-2018, 03:03 AM   #1830
Pentaxian

Apparently not
Closed Thread