Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 07:12 AM - 3 Likes   #1861

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RJDavis-OK Quote
I’ve been on the forum for sometime but only recently started contributing. Like everyone else, I wish for new and innovative releases from Pentax. I think we Pentax owners can help make that happen by going out and buying their products. Nothing spurs R&D and growth more than making money on your products.

Instead of complaining and being disappointed, I’d recommend buying a new lens or body to add to your kit.
I don't post much either and do agree we should purchase Pentax products, since 2007, I currently have a K10D, K7, K5 and still using my K3, I'm low on the lenses cause I only have the 16-50, 17-70, 50-135, 18-250, 60-250, FA 50 and the kit lens all bought new from B&H or Adorama. I also have a Sigma 70-200 and the 50-500 but thanks to Pentax remaining at the top of innovation spectrum Sigma will not produce lenses in K mount anymore.

I have bought Pentax products and all I wanted was an updated K series crop body or a least a notion that one was in the pipeline, what they showed at Photokina was not even close. I believe I have spent money with Pentax (a small amount by some standards) and I can have an opinion to be disappointed.

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 07:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Maybe it is time to close this thread.
It might be a good idea to close this thread because too much truth is coming out and most people do not like the truth

09-26-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #1862
Forum Member

I’ve been on the forum for sometime but only recently started contributing. Like everyone else, I wish for new and innovative releases from Pentax. I think we Pentax owners can help make that happen by going out and buying their products. Nothing spurs R&D and growth more than making money on your products.

Instead of complaining and being disappointed, I’d recommend buying a new lens or body to add to your kit.
yep... but its also a wise move to only buy the convincing products and leave out what is missing desired and long awaited features...

Just because you go and buy 2 Dacia Logan with the weakest possible motor and no extras for your company, that doesnt mean they will start to
build a car like the Peugeot 508 SW Hybrid... THAT IS FAIRYTALE SIMPLICITY.

What really could help, would be:

To stay loyal but start criticising them directly - via eMail, customer support, or Facebook-Site-Chat.
and of course (instead of stayin with a used-bought K-30 - but critizising like you would have bought 3 aps-c flagships and 2 FF)
buy products, that are built well. like the K-1 which is fine piece of camera overall - or the new DFA* 50mm 1.4 SDM AW (which from a technical point of view is a MILESTONE for the K-MOUNT!! and delivers way more sharpness than other lenses with its price-tag!!!)

I dont think people who go and buy a DA 18-55 and some funny "lets-look-if-they-pay-for-design-only"-cameras like the Pentax KP and Pentax K-S1... will help us out here...
But on the other hand, if you buy a K-70, K-1 or K-3II ... or the new lens i mentioned above...
and of course a RICOH GRIII
(yes, I find some drawbacks in it, but i dont believe we will see a more compact pocketable APS-C camera with SR and 24mp any time soon.)
Buying such products may indeed have a positive effect.

But, !PLZ! dont go off and buy things without value for the money... THX

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 07:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
... and I can have an opinion to be disappointed.
I just wanted to take up exactly that and repeat:
confront them directly: email, support, facebook-chat.

If enough long loyal users do that, that may really help.

(I also vote +1 on closing the doors here any time soon)
09-26-2018, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #1863
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm sure that the GR is useful as a "street camera" - a very niche market. I'm sorry, but the usage as described - quickly point the camera and take a photo while the opportunity is there, no fuss, no muss - sounds like "point and shoot" to me. I will sometimes use my Q-7 that way, but in most cases I need to attach a Hoodman to make it useful to me. Other than something that would require attaching a flash, I'm unaware of any use for a GR where I couldn't use the smart phone already in my pocket.
Haha. Okay, analogies are somehow lame, but how about this:

a sports company brings out a new racket. It is light but rigid, made of High Modulus Graphite with Kevlar and has a BG Aerobite string for perfect control and 30lb string tension for professional level players. Some users in the forum start to complain, that they can't play tennis with it, it's too small and lightweight and absolutely unusable for tennis. Some complain, that the size is nice but for squash they should have built it more rigid - no way this can be used for squash. There are users who claim they have used the predecessor and have been very happy with it, but are now worried that the change in material may change that. Others realise, that it is suited for badminton, but they have played battledore with their kids at the beach and this did not require any special equipment, just for hitting a shuttlecock over a net, come on!
09-26-2018, 07:24 AM   #1864
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
What really could help, would be:
To stay loyal but start criticising them directly - via eMail, customer support, or Facebook-Site-Chat.
and of course (instead of stayin with a used-bought K-30 - but critizising like you would have bought 3 aps-c flagships and 2 FF)
buy products, that are built well. like the K-1 which is fine piece of camera overall - or the new DFA* 50mm 1.4 SDM AW (which from a technical point of view is a MILESTONE for the K-MOUNT!! and delivers way more sharpness than other lenses with its price-tag!!!)

I dont think people who go and buy a DA 18-55 and some funny "lets-look-if-they-pay-for-design-only"-cameras like the Pentax KP and Pentax K-S1... will help us out here...
But on the other hand, if you buy a K-70, K-1 or K-3II ... or the new lens i mentioned above...
If nothing changes, I will purchase a KP in the next year or so. I think the appearance is 'cool', reminds me of my first Pentax cameras, but I would never spend that much money for appearance. I will purchase it because it is the best high-ISO machine in that price range. Punct.

09-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #1865
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Haha. Okay, analogies are somehow lame, but how about this:

a sports company brings out a new racket. It is light but rigid, made of High Modulus Graphite with Kevlar and has a BG Aerobite string for perfect control and 30lb string tension for professional level players. Some users in the forum start to complain, that they can't play tennis with it, it's too small and lightweight and absolutely unusable for tennis. Some complain, that the size is nice but for squash they should have built it more rigid - no way this can be used for squash. There are users who claim they have used the predecessor and have been very happy with it, but are now worried that the change in material may change that. Others realise, that it is suited for badminton, but they have played battledore with their kids at the beach and this did not require any special equipment, just for hitting a shuttlecock over a net, come on!
Your analogy misses my point entirely. I don't care about the weight. I care about the fact that no camera lacking a viewfinder has ever been much use to me. When people use cameras without viewfinders, they use them as a point-and-shoot - point in general direction of interest, and press the shutter.
09-26-2018, 07:49 AM   #1866
Pentaxian

Your analogy misses my point entirely. I don't care about the weight. I care about the fact that no camera lacking a viewfinder has ever been much use to me. When people use cameras without viewfinders, they use them as a point-and-shoot - point in general direction of interest, and press the shutter.
Your standpoint of defining your needs is fine, but debating about the semantics of point and shoot is moot. Yes, professional badminton players do the same as you do with your kids on the beach, they hit a shuttlecock with a battledore. Still, there is a difference.
09-26-2018, 07:49 AM - 2 Likes   #1867
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Since I went digital in 2012 I have purchased an MX-1, a K5, a K5-IIs, a K3, a K1 and a K1-II. Battery grips for each too. For lenses I have purchased a DA 12-24, a DA 55-300 WR, a D FA 28-105 and a D FA 150-450 lenses. What I need currently are new full frame teleconverters. Being on the vaporware roadmap is doing me no good. Having to look on Craigslist, eBay, the EE or Goodwill Store to purchase 20 plus year old equipment is not what I want to do. I have old stuff and some of it needs replacing. For a 300mm f2.8 lens I had to go to Sigma as Pentax does not offer one. Then to Tamron for a 70-200 F2.8 lens because Pentax had nothing to offer at the time.

How much more should I have spent to get them to change their minds? I am extremely frustrated with them right now. Like it or not, Photokina is THE SHOW in the world of photography and Ricoh's anemic presence there shows exactly how much investment they are putting into the Pentax line. I would love for them to prove me wrong but I doubt that they will.

Quite frankly the Nikon D810/D850 line is looking real good to me. Not because I think they are better cameras for me, but because they have a complete system to go with it and good third part lens support. It is looking like the $11,800 I have spent on Pentax branded equipment and the $5,500 on third party lenses would have been better spent on another system supported by a company that is more active in the field. Pentax certainly is not. It is time for them to either fish or cut bait. If they can only work on one project at a time that is not good for future growth.

Just think of me an almost 5 decade long Pentax user who is ready cut his losses and jump ship to a company more interested in supplying the products that I will need going into the future.

Sorry for the rant. Moderators can delete if they want. Just needed to vent. I feel much better now.

Last edited by gaweidert; 09-26-2018 at 11:08 AM.
09-26-2018, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #1868
Forum Member

I basically agree and keep saying that a camera costing more than 300 Euros should have a viewfinder. Ok, GR is a small camera so it it not realistic to expect a 0,8x 3,7MPx EVF, but Sony RX100 shows that a viewfinder can be put in a camera even smaller than GR. So you are right that a camera vithout viewfinder is used mostly in point-and-shoot way. OTOH I still don´t think it ´s fair to say the GR is just a point-and-shoot. I was considering buying the GR for hiking and mountain climbing where even the smallest DSLR with the smallest lens is simply too big. The GR is really tiny, but still has a big APSC sensor and wide lens, so fine for landscapes. Shooting landscapes is no point-and-shoot thing, you have time to compose properly, maybe use a tripod (I use a small Gorillapod that fits in my small backpack easily). So for me the GR is not only a point-and-shoot, but also a nice travel and hiking camera when you need to keep things as light as possible.
So I like the idea of small APSC compact, I only critisize the useless "announcement of development" and sa the GR should have been introduced in final form and ready to sell.
09-26-2018, 07:58 AM   #1869
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alcstudios Quote
I don't post much either and do agree we should purchase Pentax products, since 2007, I currently have a K10D, K7, K5 and still using my K3, I'm low on the lenses cause I only have the 16-50, 17-70, 50-135, 18-250, 60-250, FA 50 and the kit lens all bought new from B&H or Adorama. I also have a Sigma 70-200 and the 50-500 but thanks to Pentax remaining at the top of innovation spectrum Sigma will not produce lenses in K mount anymore.

I have bought Pentax products and all I wanted was an updated K series crop body or a least a notion that one was in the pipeline, what they showed at Photokina was not even close. I believe I have spent money with Pentax (a small amount by some standards) and I can have an opinion to be disappointed.

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 07:15 AM ----------

It might be a good idea to close this thread because too much truth is coming out and most people do not like the truth

I’m with about having an opinion to be disappointed - I’ve spent several thousand dollars in the last few months on lenses and intend to be with Pentax long into the future. It sounds like you are helping as a consumer as well.

My point was that it takes product sales to fund new and innovative products. We consumers can shape the future by the products we purchase.
09-26-2018, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #1870

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Since I went digital in 2012 I have purchased an MX-1, a K5, a K5-IIs, a K3, a K1 and a K1-II. Battery grips for each too. For lenses I have purchased a DA 12-24, a DA 55-300 WR, a D FA 28-105 and a D FA 15-450 lenses. What I need currently are new full frame teleconverters. Being on the vaporware roadmap is doing me no good. Having to look on Craigslist, eBay, the EE or Goodwill Store to purchase 20 plus year old equipment is not what I want to do. I have old stuff and some of it needs replacing. For a 300mm f2.8 lens I had to go to Sigma as Pentax does not offer one. Then to Tamron for a 70-200 F2.8 lens because Pentax had nothing to offer at the time.

How much more should I have spent to get them to change their minds? I am extremely frustrated with them right now. Like it or not, Photokina is THE SHOW in the world of photography and Ricoh's anemic presence there shows exactly how much investment they are putting into the Pentax line. I would love for them to prove me wrong but I doubt that they will.

Quite frankly the Nikon D810/D850 line is looking real good to me. Not because I think they are better cameras for me, but because they have a complete system to go with it and good third part lens support. It is looking like the $11,800 I have spent on Pentax branded equipment and the $5,500 on third party lenses would have been better spent on another system supported by a company that is more active in the field. Pentax certainly is not. It is time for them to either fish or cut bait. If they can only work on one project at a time that is not good for future growth.

Just think of me an almost 5 decade long Pentax user who is ready cut his losses and jump ship to a company more interested in supplying the products that I will need going into the future.

Sorry for the rant. Moderators can delete if they want. Just needed to vent. I feel much better now.
You sir have no idea how pleasing it is to read a post from someone with a fully functioning brain, the "CORE" users here on ole PF don't take much likin to the honest truth
If pentax plans on staying in the last decade and unable to complete a "toy" camera within a 3 year span, they could at least be honest and tell us to get lost. I shoot mainly motocross, I am literally in the dirt 90% of the time with my camera, this expensive hockey puck they showed at Photokina is quite depressing.
09-26-2018, 08:04 AM - 3 Likes   #1871
Forum Member

How much do I have to buy to be allowed to present my opinion? Since I became a Pentaxian 7 years ago I bought 3 cameras (all new) and 13 lenses (12 new, only 1 legacy lens), not mentioning other accesories and spent thousands of euros. But now there is nothing I can or want to buy, since I am not interested in older lenses and the new don´t come. The same with the camera, I am not interested in buying a lower positioned camera when I had the flagship APSC and the new flagship APSC is still not comming. So how should I support Pentax by buying products when there is nothing to buy?
09-26-2018, 08:08 AM - 1 Like   #1872
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
How much do I have to buy to be allowed to present my opinion? Since I became a Pentaxian 7 years ago I bought 3 cameras (all new) and 13 lenses (12 new, only 1 legacy lens), not mentioning other accesories and spent thousands of euros. But now there is nothing I can or want to buy, since I am not interested in older lenses and the new don´t come. The same with the camera, I am not interested in buying a lower positioned camera when I had the flagship APSC and the new flagship APSC is still not comming. So how should I support Pentax by buying products when there is nothing to buy?
Buy a coffee mug.

https://shop-nl.ricoh-imaging.eu/fan-products.html
09-26-2018, 08:12 AM   #1873
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I miss something, btw, or did Olympus hold a press event with nothing to say?
09-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #1874
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Did I miss something, btw, or did Olympus hold a press event with nothing to say?
Olympus is doing something tomorrow or nothing at all.
09-26-2018, 08:17 AM   #1875
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Olympus is doing something tomorrow or nothing at all.
At least Ricoh didn't waste the press's time telling them that
Closed Thread