Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 01:45 PM   #1906

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I feel your pain, a used K-3II would fit your needs till Pentax finishes what I feel will be a substantial upgrade to the K-3/K-3II lineage. You've got the investment in lens like I have and thats why I'm patiently waitng.

I've been an MX fan since the 70s, I raced several open class Suzuki RMs in the late 70s through 1984, my last being a 1984 "full floater RM 500. My two sons raced KX and RM 80s during part of that period and raced in the Super Dome and the Astro Dome several times. So I understand your needs and I feel sure the next High spec APS-C Pentax will be vastly improved over the K-3/K-3II cameras.

Hang in there.
Awesome, another moto brother I started in racing in 1974 on an Indian M50 and it all ended with my last bike a 2007 KX450, too many injuries over the years, never made it out of the local intermediate class. I still miss it to this day but photography has somewhat filled the gap. I raced the 83 and 84 RM125's, the full floater's were way ahead of their time.

Back on topic, I'm patiently waiting

09-26-2018, 02:26 PM - 3 Likes   #1907
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. Near production to me means they have lots of fine tweaks to firmware and such internally that only testing and such bore out, but that its already a working camera and not a mock up. So it is true. It's not spring 2019, its early 2019, and that is not a long ways away at all. The japanese translation of the press release is incorrect.
Let's get back to facts instead of emotional outbursts concerning the planned launch date of Ricoh GR III.
  • The Japanese version of the Ricoh Imaging Japanese website says '2019年春' which indisputably means 'spring 2019'. I presume one can trust Japanese employees of a Japanese corporation writing in Japanese on a Japanese website meant to be read by Japanese people for knowing what they are writing.
  • For reasons unbeknown to me (more about it here below), the English version of the Ricoh Imaging Japanese website says 'Early, 2019'. Actually, the whole sentence is 'Scheduled to be launched in Early, 2019' with an odd capital E and a coma which denote a far from perfect command of the English language.
  • This is a specific discrepancy with no similar example on the Ricoh Imaging Japanese website. For instance the K-mount roadmap, which is bilingual, translates '2019年春' into '2019 Spring' (HD Pentax-D FA 70-200mm f/4).
  • All regional Ricoh Imaging website I have looked at say 'early 2019' or the equivalent in the local idiom. This is logical, considering that those who wrote the corresponding documents must have had a better knowledge of the English language than of the Japanese language and relied most certainly on the English version, and only on it, to write their own document.

So, why 'Early, 2019' instead of 'Spring 2019'? Is it an error due to a poor command of English (as the capital E and the superfluous coma could suggest)? Is it linked to cultural differences = better avoid to disappoint Japanese people and to loose face if having to deliver the camera later than expected, and therefore better provide for some flexibility on the one hand (the Japanese version), better be more pushy and marketing-driven and therefore better display a more appealing schedule on the other hand (the English version)?

I don't know but, in the end, who cares? The princeps document says 'spring 2019' and it's all that matters.
09-26-2018, 02:35 PM   #1908
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just pencil in March 2019. It will be near enough. Chill out for six months while the Ricoh team are busting their guts truing to satisfy their masters.
09-26-2018, 02:37 PM - 3 Likes   #1909
Pentaxian

Early is a town in Texas

09-26-2018, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #1910
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Actually, the whole sentence is 'Scheduled to be launched in Early, 2019' with an odd capital E and a coma which denote a far from perfect command of the English language
I do hope that is ironic.

09-26-2018, 02:45 PM - 4 Likes   #1911
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Let's get back to facts instead of emotional outbursts concerning the planned launch date of Ricoh GR III.
  • The Japanese version of the Ricoh Imaging Japanese website says '2019年春' which indisputably means 'spring 2019'. I presume one can trust Japanese employees of a Japanese corporation writing in Japanese on a Japanese website meant to be read by Japanese people for knowing what they are writing.
  • For reasons unbeknown to me (more about it here below), the English version of the Ricoh Imaging Japanese website says 'Early, 2019'. Actually, the whole sentence is 'Scheduled to be launched in Early, 2019' with an odd capital E and a coma which denote a far from perfect command of the English language.
  • This is a specific discrepancy with no similar example on the Ricoh Imaging Japanese website. For instance the K-mount roadmap, which is bilingual, translates '2019年春' into '2019 Spring' (HD Pentax-D FA 70-200mm f/4).
  • All regional Ricoh Imaging website I have looked at say 'early 2019' or the equivalent in the local idiom. This is logical, considering that those who wrote the corresponding documents must have had a better knowledge of the English language than of the Japanese language and relied most certainly on the English version, and only on it, to write their own document.

So, why 'Early, 2019' instead of 'Spring 2019'? Is it an error due to a poor command of English (as the capital E and the superfluous coma could suggest)? Is it linked to cultural differences = better avoid to disappoint Japanese people and to loose face if having to deliver the camera later than expected, and therefore better provide for some flexibility on the one hand (the Japanese version), better be more pushy and marketing-driven and therefore better display a more appealing schedule on the other hand (the English version)?

I don't know but, in the end, who cares? The princeps document says 'spring 2019' and it's all that matters.
I highlighted my favourite part of this helpful post.

Me? I don't see "Spring" or "Early"... I just see "2019" and think "2019? That's nice. That's something to look forward to."
09-26-2018, 02:49 PM - 3 Likes   #1912
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Bye.
Not leaving yet Mark. it is just very frustrating waiting for something so mundane a a full frame teleconverter to come out. When the K1 came out Pentax hit a home run. Then it seems that the substitute pitching came in a frittered the game away. Is it too much to ask that they tell us their intention as to whether they actually intend to support the camera or not? One lens ( released late) and vague promises of more at some time in the future do not inspire confidence for people to make a long term commitment to the brand.

Bye

09-26-2018, 02:51 PM   #1913
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Not leaving yet Mark. it is just very frustrating waiting for something so mundane a a full frame teleconverter to come out. When the K1 came out Pentax hit a home run. Then it seems that the substitute pitching came in a frittered the game away. Is it too much to ask that they tell us their intention as to whether they actually intend to support the camera or not? One lens ( released late) and vague promises of more at some time in the future do not inspire confidence for people to make a long term commitment to the brand.
I'm guessing they're trying to make a perfect variant - to go with the perfect lenses they've been working on recently. They created a few very good lenses at the first, but then they turned towards perfection for the 50mm.
09-26-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #1914
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it too much to ask that they tell us their intention as to whether they actually intend to support the camera or not?
Of course they support the camera. To suggest any possibility otherwise is a little extreme. Whether they're supporting it with, or prioritising development of, the products you (perhaps reasonably) want is clearly questionable, but - with respect - that's a different thing entirely. That aside, they'll tell us what they want to tell us. If that's good enough, great... If it's not, don't accept it. Switch. I'm not saying that in a confrontational manner, but a constructive one. There's really no point to getting frustrated, IMHO.

One lens ( released late) and vague promises of more at some time in the future do not inspire confidence for people to make a long term commitment to the brand.
See my earlier post in this thread re delivery dates, and countless others I've made regarding Ricoh Imaging's Pentax resources and the folly of comparing them to (a) the Pentax of old (which has long since ceased to exist), and (b) other, larger, better-resourced brands.

When all's said and done, if Ricoh isn't doing enough with Pentax to satisfy someone, they can quite reasonably choose to switch. That's OK. No-one is forced to stay with, or join, Pentax (or any other brand's) user base. Many will, I think, because we still feel we're rather well catered for in general with a mix of new and legacy products... and the new product releases, while limited in range and frequency, are excellent. But that's a very personal view, and some will feel the product offerings and release timescales aren't right for them. That's absolutely fine... it happens with all brands of all product types. I'd recommend that anyone who feels a brand isn't going in the direction they want, or at a pace of development they can't accept, to switch to something else that meets their needs, and avoid any frustration of simply "living in hope". Life's too short for any other approach. As an additional benefit, since sales figures are perhaps the only thing any profit-driven business will truly listen to, then if customers leave in significant numbers (represented by abnormal drop in sales), Ricoh will get the message. If sales meet or exceed expectations, Ricoh will continue along its planned path...

Bye
I hope you don't really mean that. You're a valued contributor here

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-26-2018 at 03:52 PM.
09-26-2018, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #1915
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They really need to throw us DSLR users a bone, even if it is a set of tentative specs for something released in early 2019, we need something. Having no replacement for the K3 line and stocks of them running out really leaves a huge hole. Perhaps a stopgap K3iii with expanded ISO, but everything else the same is something they can do.
09-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #1916
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
They really need to throw us DSLR users a bone, even if it is a set of tentative specs for something released in early 2019, we need something.
That would be a logical thing to do,theres switchers right now due to virtually NO information.
09-26-2018, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #1917
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's some truth to this.

However...

One of the problems we have - and by "we", I mean consumers generally (not everyone, but a significant representative portion) - is that our expectations are increasingly high and often unreasonable. That's also the same with people that run profit-driven businesses.

I think not so far back to my days managing technology and operations for banks and brokerage houses. I'd have a large portfolio of development and ops projects that I needed to deliver, and a certain number of staff and facilities (always smaller than I'd like, sometimes slowly reducing in size due to cost reduction initiatives) with a known cost base with which to deliver them. I'd work with my various department heads to come up with plans and proposals to deliver a programme of projects with specific delivery dates and associated costs. Then, in executive management or board meetings, I'd be told (unsurprisingly) that those timescales and costs wouldn't work - that the projects needed to be delivered quicker and cheaper. We'd negotiate back and forth and end up with a set of dates and numbers that neither the board nor I were happy with, but were enough to earn me their commitment to proceed. Along the way, some projects would run into problems and I'd have to divert more resources onto those at the expense of others. Eventually, I'd deliver some projects ahead of time and at lower cost, others on time and at projected cost, and others later than promised and at greater cost. I considered my division successful if our percentage of ahead-of and on-time / on-budget deliverables was significantly higher than the late or over-budget ones. My board considered us a success if costs were managed or reduced, and damage-limitation for late deliverables resulted in minimal negative impact to the company and its business relationships.

Few businesses are any different. Most product release forecasts are what the board wants to hear, not what the divisions and departments delivering them originally intended or considered possible. The slightest bump in the road is enough to blow already-unrealistic dates out of the water.

The alternative is to set easily achievable delivery dates for every project. But that arguably results in a slower, less hungry, and more costly workforce. Worse still, the consumers - with their increasingly unrealistic expectations - will scream blue murder at the timescales.

I can't expect anyone else to, but personally, I stay relaxed about product announcements, projected and actual release dates. Let's be honest - few people on these forums depend on Pentax or any other brand to release new equipment in order to be able to fulfill professional commitments. Even those who are professionals can make do for a while if they're awaiting certain features and performance. As for us hobbyists, we've never had it so good. I can understand why folks get excited, then frustrated, when announced products are delayed or don't meet their individual requirements fully, but we have to look at that in context, and consider the real importance of it.

And that is the end of my TED presentation for tonight
Very well written Mike.

I work in an industry where the clients budgets are almost always too small, the timeframes almost always too short, the workforce almost always too small and the outcomes almost always a compromise.

Here I am with my K1 and it's 33 AF points, (for me - coming from the K-5) fast AF, brilliant image quality and still sometimes comparing with my now seldom used SFXn, with it's one AF point. (I have 4 of them)

Technology improves with leaps and bounds. We want it all and we want it faster, better and, above all, we want it cheaper, without realising we've never had it so good.
09-26-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #1918
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bye
Since you put it that way, it seems it's not bye just yet.

We all need different things. You need a teleconverter, I don't. I need lots of stuff I can't afford. I'd love a longer lens for shooting sport and birds. I'd like to get better at shooting macro.
I'm as committed to the brand as I can be, budget permitting!

Oh, and I echo Mike's sentiment.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I hope you don't really mean that. You're a valued contributor here.
09-26-2018, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #1919
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I need lots of stuff I can't afford.
Welcome to my world
09-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #1920
Pentaxian

Since you put it that way, it seems it's not bye just yet.

We all need different things. You need a teleconverter, I don't. I need lots of stuff I can't afford. I'd love a longer lens for shooting sport and birds. I'd like to get better at shooting macro.
I'm as committed to the brand as I can be, budget permitting!
Would you need a longer lens if they had a good TC?
Closed Thread