Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Classic film lenses made in Germany like those Zeiss, Leica and Contax have not been changed over time and they are the best ones I have ever seen in this planet.

Nowadays lenses are all crap when compared with those German designed and made lenses which are the true state of art photographic equipment in terms of optical quality..

Japanese lenses are still Japanese lenses. In the last century, the closest to German lenses Japanese brand was Pentax, I must say. They are not as good most of the time but they are far cheaper!

Canon lenses nowadays, even L ones, are by no means as good as even those old Pentax glass, but then those were the days. (Yet the latest Pentax glass nowadays are by no means match the Canons IMHO)

The problem now is German companies lack the technologies and manufacturing capabilities of the digital parts, but not the optics. And now, there are fewer and fewer genuine German lenses, particularly those designed by human and with talent and unique characters.

So, time will change something but some other things are yet unchanged over time.
I don't know i have an old Leica with a Leitz lens and while it is good, I'm not sure if the lens quality is as good as my older Takumars or new Pentax 16-45 or 55-300. I also have old Zeiss lens (Super Ikonta) again, I think my Pentax lenses are capable of better pix. My opinion, based on being a user and an owner.

I've also had some extensive use of a Leica M4 Rangefinder with the 35mm f2 and 90 mm Leitz lens, back in the '80's. Just for fun way back then I compared the picture quality of my Takumar f1.8 and 135mm f3.5 attached to my Pentax ES 11, compared to the M4 with 35mm and 90mm. Nothing scientific, except I used the same subject, lighting, etc, same time of day, same day and I felt there was nothing to choose from between the picture quality (up to 8 X 10) from the Pentax and Leica equipment. As I have both Leica and Pentax equipment and like them both, I have no axe to grind either way.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-24-2008 at 08:51 PM.
09-19-2009, 07:09 PM   #62
Inactive Account

FYI - some of Nikon's good stuff (d300, for example) are NOT made in Japan
09-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #63
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FA31 and FA50 are assembled now in Vietnam.
FA43 and FA77 = maybe too.

The quality of lenses are not Japanese.
09-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

I'd prefer to have them still made in Japan..but after the learning curve the quality will go up. Everything is "made in Canada" is no more.....now made in China. Japan is going through the same thing. Eventually nothing will be made in Japan.....eventually nothing will be made in China or Vietnam once the wages go up there. It's sad.

09-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I'd prefer to have them still made in Japan..but after the learning curve the quality will go up. Everything is "made in Canada" is no more.....now made in China. Japan is going through the same thing. Eventually nothing will be made in Japan.....eventually nothing will be made in China or Vietnam once the wages go up there. It's sad.
Once the wages go up there (and the currencies adjust) thngs will be made in Canada and Japan and the USA again.

But we won't be able to afford them.

Its coming sooner than you think.
09-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Once the wages go up there (and the currencies adjust) thngs will be made in Canada and Japan and the USA again.

But we won't be able to afford them.

Its coming sooner than you think.
I might not be able to afford a shelf of lenses anymore....perhaps that's a good thing. I might spend more time taking pictures.....
09-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #67
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Yeah, lenses are of good quality solely because made in JApan...
Funny... ask Sigma.

I'm sorry Ogl, but this is BS.

09-20-2009, 04:53 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
Eventually nothing will be made in Japan.....eventually nothing will be made in China or Vietnam once the wages go up there. It's sad.
Why is it sad? As you say, wages go up and sooner or later, planet Earth runs out of countries.

Globalization in its current form (moving labour to cheaper countries) is a temporary effect just like colonization and slavery was before. Once it is over the planet will be a better place.

And there is no requirement for cheap labour anyway. Intelligent or smart machines will do it for us once the cheap countries are a thing of the past. To a certain extent, they already do.

It is much more interesting to figure out intelligent ways to use our brains in more creative ways. E.g., there are billions of humans. And how many of them exactly work at progressing photographic technology? One tenmillionth of them? There have been more in middle age Europe ...
09-20-2009, 05:17 AM   #69
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yeah, lenses are of good quality solely because made in JApan...
Funny... ask Sigma.

I'm sorry Ogl, but this is BS.
But. it's TRUE. There are complaints about IQ of FA31 and FA50 from Vietnam.

Sigma is rather stange company.
09-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #70
Veteran Member

Bumping year old threads

But. it's TRUE. There are complaints about IQ of FA31 and FA50 from Vietnam.
Links?
09-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #71
K-9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rlloyd3 Quote
FYI - some of Nikon's good stuff (d300, for example) are NOT made in Japan
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Bumping year old threads

Links?
Yes, this is not cool. Please make a new thread, rlloyd, rather than opening year old ones!
09-20-2009, 07:32 PM   #72

What do you do with all of these nice lenses?

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Well, my FA Limited and FA* lenses are clearly marked "MADE in Japan", so do nearly all of my F and FA primes and my fisheye zoom.

My MZ-S, SFX bodies are marked "Made in Japan", whereas the MZ-30 is marked "Made in Philipinnees" but nothing was marked for my own *ist D, DS and K100D units (yes, those sold in China marked nothing, particularly!)

My Canon 5D and 24-105L are marked "Made in Japan", whereas the cheaper EF 85/1.8 marked "Lens Made in Japan" and nothing marked for my EF 50/1.5 plastic lens.

But you're right that low end products needed to be migrated out of the Japan home production lines.
It is my understanding from your website that you despise Pentax DSLRs. What do you do with the very nice Pentax lenses, except stare at them at home?
09-20-2009, 07:38 PM   #73
K-9
Veteran Member

^
Reason why we don't open old threads. Can a mod close this, please!!
Closed Thread