Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 04:54 AM   #31
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*ist DL/DS/K100D had manual selection of AF points.

I think that NEW 2004-2005 year began for Pentax.

09-21-2008, 05:01 AM   #32
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
In the other thread it was simply "no good".
While I agree with you that it is not a good thing (sounds like something that might be overcome with firmware) I think I can live with it for a small relative cheap back up camera.
Well who wants to bet that in the next thread it will be "terrible" and after that "unacceptable"? The fact is that at least on "my camera" the AF system was very snappy for such an early firmware and obviously missed many final touches. So I wouldn't jump to any conclusions atm.

Radu
09-21-2008, 05:10 AM   #33
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax announcement before Photokina is some kind of disappointment.
We had been waiting for DA*60-250/4 for 2.5 year. 1300 euro - fantastic.
New kit lenses with plastic bayonet - who care about it.
DA15/4 will be only close to summer, 2009.
Ring-flash is rather special.

I like Pentax K-m...But I don't need it.
DA*55/1.4 is ONLY good news now.

No information about DA*30.
No new lenses in roadmap, except abstract super telephoto.
09-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
How much do you reckon the actual production cost of the kit lens is?
Answer: It is very cheap to make.
Like you I think a metal mount is preferred and stronger but there are cost savings in not using a metal mount, even though it may cost very little.. Small savings add up margin wise.

Secondly, using a plastic lens mount is not a new thing for Pentax. Some of the el-cheapo Pentax FA zooms already had them years ago. Nikon, Canon and a few others have been using plastic lens mounts for their beginner level lenses for many years already. In fact practically the entire Nikon kit lens is made of plastic, including the lens elements. So why should Pentax be any different here?

Beginners, oldies, ladies, kids and many gear geeks clamour for compact and lightweight equipment, even at the expense of robustness. We're now in a throwaway society, the consumer today wants something to work that's cheap. If it breaks, it is easy to get another because it is not worth it to repair.

That's also a strategy for the camera manufacturers to get new users on an upgrade path. The kit (for some s*it) lens is to tie them over until they start to buy better performing and better build lenses that cost more.
Agreed with everything you said. Personally, as long as the optical quality stays the same, I'm okay with it.

There are two possible outcomes for the kit lens anyway:
1. It gets replaced with a better all-purpose lens (or even prime lenses).
2. It never leaves the camera it came with.

At least, that's how I see the average kit lens future. In any case, I haven't read much stories of broken plastic mounts from any brand (that's me, you guys may have read something about this), so nothing much to worry about.

09-21-2008, 06:59 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Frankly for a kit lens, I do not see the problem, as long as the camera has a metal one.

It's not like the weight of the kit lens will trash its own bayonet

A camera, even low-end, should however sports metal bayonet allowing big lenses, if needed.
09-21-2008, 07:58 AM   #36
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Frankly for a kit lens, I do not see the problem, as long as the camera has a metal one.

It's not like the weight of the kit lens will trash its own bayonet

A camera, even low-end, should however sports metal bayonet allowing big lenses, if needed.

Thibs,

I wonder after you saw some photos and seens some specs what do you feel about my impressions of K-m? Was I spot on as you hoped 3 days ago?

Regards,
Radu
09-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Thibs,

I wonder after you saw some photos and seens some specs what do you feel about my impressions of K-m? Was I spot on as you hoped 3 days ago?

Regards,
Radu
More or less but definitive specs of needed obviously

If I hadn't offered a K100D to my wife last Christmas I'd buy that Km pretty quickly. I'd like to have it my hands though, it might change my mind and change the camera on which I'll put my DA40

No money for now but this is tempting... if I can make it to Photokina, I will be able to test that one early

Still wonder about your hints as far as AF is concerned ...
09-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #38
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
More or less but definitive specs of needed obviously

If I hadn't offered a K100D to my wife last Christmas I'd buy that Km pretty quickly. I'd like to have it my hands though, it might change my mind and change the camera on which I'll put my DA40

No money for now but this is tempting... if I can make it to Photokina, I will be able to test that one early

Still wonder about your hints as far as AF is concerned ...
Less than a day to wait ... it has to be bearable I hope!

Regards,
Radu

09-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Less than a day to wait ... it has to be bearable I hope!

Regards,
Radu
It is certainly unbearable. I want to know all of the specs and the price so I can decide when/if I'm going to get it.
09-21-2008, 11:43 AM   #40
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
It is certainly unbearable. I want to know all of the specs and the price so I can decide when/if I'm going to get it.
AFAIK the ETA will be November so tomorrow I guess we'll know all the specs and hopefully some previews on major sites (yes, right a Pentax previewed like a c, n or s!?)

Radu
09-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #41
Veteran Member

AFAIK the ETA will be November so tomorrow I guess we'll know all the specs and hopefully some previews on major sites (yes, right a Pentax previewed like a c, n or s!?)

Radu
That'd be great to see some positive previews! Are your impressions that this will be less expensive than a K200D and be available as just a body?
09-21-2008, 12:33 PM   #42
RaduA

That'd be great to see some positive previews! Are your impressions that this will be less expensive than a K200D and be available as just a body?
From what I heard here it will be less expensive by some amount than K200D kit and about the availability as body only I really don't know but my guess is that in the first stage Pentax will pack only kit and dual kit but some dealers will gladly sell those separately for more than the bundle price.

Radu
09-21-2008, 12:35 PM   #43
Veteran Member

From what I heard here it will be less expensive by some amount than K200D kit and about the availability as body only I really don't know but my guess is that in the first stage Pentax will pack only kit and dual kit but some dealers will gladly sell those separately for more than the bundle price.

Radu
Sweeeeeet. Can't wait!

Also, as far as separating kits and selling them individually, it might not be the case here, but can't companies make the illegal? (Not for individual resale?)
09-21-2008, 01:40 PM   #44
RaduA

Sweeeeeet. Can't wait!

Also, as far as separating kits and selling them individually, it might not be the case here, but can't companies make the illegal? (Not for individual resale?)
Eric,

I guess Pentax will sell any combinations that are demanded by the market (obviously body only included). But I think "in the very first stage" kit and dual kit are more likely than any other packages. IMO Pentax first and foremost tries to atract new users and they will probably will chose based on value compared with the other brands. And the dual kit seems to me the greatest value since the only similar camera (Sony's A200) has no cheap tele kit lens, and C and N offers either are more expensive or have non stabilised lenses.

Just MHO,
Radu
09-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-m broschures

I linked to the K-m broschures here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/37582-pentax-k-m-p...broschure.html
The weight is 525g w/o batteries.

(I've put it into the DSLR section because it isn't rumors or even news anymore...)