Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
Another very nice feature is the built-in manual via help button - this idea is so obviously useful, especially for beginners!
Hmm, hope that button can also be used to vary the auto focus mode, or something else useful for non-newbies.
Maybe then I'll seriously look at it as a travel camera for next summer.

09-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'm not sure that follows completely. They definitely seem committed to at least making some bodies that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if they follow Nikon's lead and drop the screwdrive motor for the smaller bodies.
I doubt it, they are devious enough to lure beginners into the realm of the more expensive lenses before upgrading. After all, LBA was "discovered"by a Pentaxian.
09-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #18
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by RichyX Quote
Hmm, hope that button can also be used to vary the auto focus mode, or something else useful for non-newbies.
Maybe then I'll seriously look at it as a travel camera for next summer.
Actually you have 4 other choices for that button ...

Radu
09-20-2008, 12:34 PM   #19
Banned

QuoteQuote:
If it's only the new lenses that's much much more assuring.
I certainly cant say for sure but im 99.9999% positive the plastic mount is referring the new L versions of the 18-55 and 55-200mm DA 'kit' lenses. same great optics, just a cost cutting measure to keep the price as low as possible for entry level and beginner DSLR buyers. though personally I don't agree with this decision, especially since the normal DA 'kit lenses' can be had for very cheap. just doesnt make sense to me to implement a plastic lens mount. i dont think it will go over to well.

09-20-2008, 01:32 PM   #20
Veteran Member

One thing that I'm curious about is whether or not this body is going to have a body-only option or not. It's not a deal breaker for me since the 18-55 is a good lens in and of itself. This is the body that I want to be able to carry around in my purse, but I may have to use a bigger purse--that's OK though. I'm just finding that the P&S that I'm carrying around is almost too lightweight for me--I've got to have a little bit of weight to be able to hold it steady. Since getting a DSLR last October, I guess I've become spoiled with both the improved handling and IQ.

Heather
09-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #21
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I certainly cant say for sure but im 99.9999% positive the plastic mount is referring the new L versions of the 18-55 and 55-200mm DA 'kit' lenses. same great optics, just a cost cutting measure to keep the price as low as possible for entry level and beginner DSLR buyers. though personally I don't agree with this decision, especially since the normal DA 'kit lenses' can be had for very cheap. just doesnt make sense to me to implement a plastic lens mount. i dont think it will go over to well.
Séamuis,

I have no proof for that but my feeling about this is that the new kit lenses are completely redesigned mechanically. I mean they could be made with materials and production methods not available in 2003-2004 and hence pretty light and reliable let alone the savings in assembly time and maybe tighter tolerances. More than that I suppose the mount is one piece with the lens barrel structure hence pretty robust.

Just MHO,
Radu

P.S. 600 Euro list price for the 2 zoom kit is pretty good IMO and for the K - m body quality I can testify myself. It felt very well made to me!
09-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
...and for the K - m body quality I can testify myself. It felt very well made to me!

When? Where? How?

09-20-2008, 02:59 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I'll wait for the specs to come out for real then if they are good enough I will call the camera shop and place the order for the kit with the two lenses. A Christmas presant for my dear wife who seams to have taken a liking to my K10 and I would like it back, BTW she just just got a new p&s for mothers day and it is sitting in the glove box of her truck I guess my oldest daughter will end up with that one it's the C word because the Pentax wasn't available.
09-20-2008, 04:15 PM   #24
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
When? Quite recently Where? Well in couple of geographical locations but I don't have the exact GPS coordonates How? I treated the camera with outmost respect, I got some of its older siblings to visit, they chatted a bit ... all in all it was nice and we made some beautiful family snapshots but unfortunatelly until Monday there are unavailable
-----------
Radu
09-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
How much do you reckon the actual production cost of the kit lens is?
Answer: It is very cheap to make.
Like you I think a metal mount is preferred and stronger but there are cost savings in not using a metal mount, even though it may cost very little.. Small savings add up margin wise.

Secondly, using a plastic lens mount is not a new thing for Pentax. Some of the el-cheapo Pentax FA zooms already had them years ago. Nikon, Canon and a few others have been using plastic lens mounts for their beginner level lenses for many years already. In fact practically the entire Nikon kit lens is made of plastic, including the lens elements. So why should Pentax be any different here?

Beginners, oldies, ladies, kids and many gear geeks clamour for compact and lightweight equipment, even at the expense of robustness. We're now in a throwaway society, the consumer today wants something to work that's cheap. If it breaks, it is easy to get another because it is not worth it to repair.

That's also a strategy for the camera manufacturers to get new users on an upgrade path. The kit (for some s*it) lens is to tie them over until they start to buy better performing and better build lenses that cost more.
09-20-2008, 09:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noisychip Quote
In some of the leaked specs I read "compatible with SDM lenses". For me that is a "SDM + screwdrive". Anything else wouldn't make much sense - why should a camera and lens manufacturer keep new entry level customers from buying lenses, either Limiteds or DA* ?

The initial announcement or leak on the German Pentax website said that the "L" lenses have a plastic mount, while the K-m will have a metal mount. The L variant will exist along with the non-L kit glass. Aside from the mount they were the same lenses.
for me "compatible" just means that the lens will work, not necessarily 100%. Compatible could just mean the lens can be mounted and used to take pictures. I doubt pentax would cut a corner or be "shady" and not make the camera a SDM camera...
09-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #27
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I heard that
There is one BIG minus thing in K-m - only one central AF point or automatic selection, no manual selection

if it's true, it's no good at all...

Last edited by ogl; 09-20-2008 at 10:14 PM.
09-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #28
Veteran Member

no good or no good at all

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I heard that
There is one BIG minus thing in K-m - only one central AF point or automatic selection, no manual selection

In the other thread it was simply "no good".
While I agree with you that it is not a good thing (sounds like something that might be overcome with firmware) I think I can live with it for a small relative cheap back up camera.
09-21-2008, 03:32 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I heard that

On a budget camera? Heck I di not see a problem with that.
It probably works as with the K100D, you can choose but it is quite incovenient to do so. Which is why my wife always use either auto or central point.
09-21-2008, 04:39 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
On a budget camera? Heck I do not see a problem with that.

You didn't know that ogl wants D300 specs for K1000 pricing.