Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new Pentax K-m entry model - picture and information leaked

CrunchGear Archive Pentax K-m DSLR leaked along with the rest of the Photokina lineup

09-19-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

"Via ricehigh"?!

Pentax can't keep cranking out the maudlin crap like ultra-lowend cameras.
09-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The reliability is kind of controversial there.
09-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From what I've read, it appears that although the K-m is entry-level, it is not going to be a piece of cr@p--the build quality will be along the same lines as the K200 and the K20, which should best both Canon and Nikon entry-level models in that respect. At this point, what Pentax really needs to do is to market the cr@p out of this model to attract the DSLR newbies. Depending on what their intentions are, this model could very well set these people on a path to an eventual upgrade, so it's important that Pentax bring out the best entry-level product they can. Perhaps the more Pentax gets it name out there, the more demand there will be for a pro-level body.

On the subject of pro-level bodies, Olympus is a good example of a company who took seemingly forever to produce a replacement for the E1 and Olympus fans were getting antsy, but they finally did and from what I'm gathering, people are really liking it. I don't think it will be much different for Pentax. Frankly, I'm getting tired of all the whining about the fact that Pentax doesn't have a pro body yet. If you don't have the patience to wait on Pentax, then there are plenty of people around here who will be happy to buy your Pentax gear off of you when you sell it to move to Canon or Nikon. There are a lot more important things in this world far more important than whether or not Pentax produces a pro body!

Again--PLEASE QUIT THE WHINING!

Now that I'm done ranting, I will say that I'm one of those who actually wants a K-m.

Heather

09-20-2008, 06:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The only thing I would really like more out of my K110D would be SDM and maybe a little higher resolution. If this can offer that up and for a good price then I'm on board!

I'm not so sure the entry model will have SDM, though... And what if they have one of those weird things where it has SDM but no autofocus drive motor? That's probably a deal breaker... I can't afford ALL SDM lenses
09-20-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I guess it's good there is an entry level Pentax now, but it really doesn't do anything for me to buy one and take a step backwards. I guess I am neither here or there on the issue.

I am not holding my breath for the next level up from the K20D, as I am sure it will eventually be on the market within the next 6-9 months. I can wait.

Until then, I will remain happy with my K10D and my growing array of lenses, and will concentrate on making great photos.

Jas
09-20-2008, 07:13 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I'm not so sure the entry model will have SDM, though... And what if they have one of those weird things where it has SDM but no autofocus drive motor? That's probably a deal breaker... I can't afford ALL SDM lenses
It will have both SDM and in-camera AF motor.

09-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
AWESOME!

But what's with the plastic mount? That seems kinda bad to me. I could live without a top LCD, I think. I make so many adjustments with camera on my face anyway. I could live with missing a few of the pro features and I could live with only being able to make so many decisions on my camera... But the plastic mount does scare me.
09-20-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
AWESOME!

But what's with the plastic mount? That seems kinda bad to me. I could live without a top LCD, I think. I make so many adjustments with camera on my face anyway. I could live with missing a few of the pro features and I could live with only being able to make so many decisions on my camera... But the plastic mount does scare me.
Will the camera, itself, have a plastic lens mount? I thought I read somewhere (admittedly, since I don't read German, the only sources I have at this point are translations on forums) that the camera side will be metal, whereas the new "L" lenses would have the plastic mounts.
09-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by theblueone Quote
Will the camera, itself, have a plastic lens mount? I thought I read somewhere (admittedly, since I don't read German, the only sources I have at this point are translations on forums) that the camera side will be metal, whereas the new "L" lenses would have the plastic mounts.
I read that here:
The brand new Pentax at Photokina 2008 - Mac Forums

First post mentions it.

If it's only the new lenses that's much much more assuring.
09-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Afaik, the mount is metal.
09-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Screw AF and SDM

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Ofcourse I cannot find the article now although I read it yesterday....
But there was something about SDM and screw AF (hmm that combination must appeal to Rice) and Pentax stated that:
in future (not specified when the futurebegins) there will be NO dual drive lenses, it is either screw or SDM.
They will have both as for example the limiteds are so small they don't need SDM and there is no room in them for a motor.
Therefore they are comitted to bodies with both SDM and screwdrive capabilities...
(Yes, you can mount the FA31/1.8 LE on the KM-D)
Therefore continued backwards compatability.
09-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Ofcourse I cannot find the article now although I read it yesterday....
But there was something about SDM and screw AF (hmm that combination must appeal to Rice) and Pentax stated that:
in future (not specified when the futurebegins) there will be NO dual drive lenses, it is either screw or SDM.
They will have both as for example the limiteds are so small they don't need SDM and there is no room in them for a motor.
Therefore they are comitted to bodies with both SDM and screwdrive capabilities...
(Yes, you can mount the FA31/1.8 LE on the KM-D)
Therefore continued backwards compatability.
In some of the leaked specs I read "compatible with SDM lenses". For me that is a "SDM + screwdrive". Anything else wouldn't make much sense - why should a camera and lens manufacturer keep new entry level customers from buying lenses, either Limiteds or DA* ?

The initial announcement or leak on the German Pentax website said that the "L" lenses have a plastic mount, while the K-m will have a metal mount. The L variant will exist along with the non-L kit glass. Aside from the mount they were the same lenses.
09-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #14

Another very nice feature is the built-in manual via help button - this idea is so obviously useful, especially for beginners!

I know people who carry the whole manual of their P&S with them!
09-20-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
I'm not sure that follows completely. They definitely seem committed to at least making some bodies that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if they follow Nikon's lead and drop the screwdrive motor for the smaller bodies.