Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-05-2018, 03:23 PM   #271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 4,016
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well, they sit on 645 lenses inventory and lenses DO make money.
The camera is just the tool to trigger the lens sales.
Just how many lens are they sitting on? Seems like a lack of inventory planning if they ended up with too many lens. So what are they to do? Over build bodies and end up with too few lens?

11-05-2018, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #272
Pentaxian
deus ursus's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Strheim, Norway
Posts: 571
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Just how many lens are they sitting on? Seems like a lack of inventory planning if they ended up with too many lens. So what are they to do? Over build bodies and end up with too few lens?
Then they make lenses/bodies like I eat dinner. When I've eaten all the meat/fish, I still have som potatoe left, so I have to add some more meat/fish to eat with the potatoes. When the potatoes are eaten, I have some meat/fish left, so I have to add potatoes. And on and on it goes, 'till I've overeaten.
11-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #273
Pentaxian
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,348
Jumping in a bit late here ...

From what I remember the R/W speeds are based on the interface between the camera and the SD card. Ricoh took so long to develop the K-1 that the communications protocols changed a few generations. Rather than update the SD card interface to something newer and faster they chose to keep the old one. Why? They didn't want to delay the release of the K-1 anymore. There didn't seem to be a technical challenge at the time. Why didn't they take the time between the K-1 and K-1 Mk II? Who knows ... maybe they felt they had other more pressing issues.


Yeah, the slow xfer from the buffer to the SD cards is a pain point. I always felt it but tolerated it.


Should Ricoh decide to update the frame rate and the xfer speeds to the SD card then be ready to buy new SD cards that support the higher speeds. They are not exactly cheap.
11-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississippi, USA
Posts: 4,016
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Then they make lenses/bodies like I eat dinner. When I've eaten all the meat/fish, I still have som potatoe left, so I have to add some more meat/fish to eat with the potatoes. When the potatoes are eaten, I have some meat/fish left, so I have to add potatoes. And on and on it goes, 'till I've overeaten.
Quite a delimma!!

02-27-2019, 03:13 AM - 19 Likes   #275
Veteran Member
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 2,204
Im still around now and then..sorry guys (and girls)

Now it has been some time working with other types of gear. My days are MUCH easier now..I get access to a whole new world of third party gear..and video is a dream! I even have become ambassador for Rotolight now..would be impossible with Pentax as gear. And even though I'm in no form or shape are involved with Canon as a company, they still help and support me MUCH more then Ricoh ever did


BUT..There are still something that was better before...The sensor of K-1 and 645Z walks all over the Canons im using now...And the community? No one can compete with this one..So continue being such a great community of good people Got to admit I miss you

Stay safe everyone and keep on shooting!!
02-27-2019, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #276
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 619
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Im still around now and then..sorry guys (and girls)

Now it has been some time working with other types of gear. My days are MUCH easier now..I get access to a whole new world of third party gear..and video is a dream! I even have become ambassador for Rotolight now..would be impossible with Pentax as gear. And even though I'm in no form or shape are involved with Canon as a company, they still help and support me MUCH more then Ricoh ever did
So the grass s sometimes greener on the other side?
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote

BUT..There are still something that was better before...The sensor of K-1 and 645Z walks all over the Canons im using now...And the community? No one can compete with this one..So continue being such a great community of good people Got to admit I miss you

Stay safe everyone and keep on shooting!!
You did have a few other options though to give you similar level sensor performancd though (perhaps Nikon or Sony?).
Lots of success to you, and nice of you to share your experience.

Chris
02-27-2019, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #277
Veteran Member
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 2,204
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
So the grass s sometimes greener on the other side?
It can be, but you'll never find a system that is 100% on anything. Its about finding what makes your work easier and better


QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Y ou did have a few other options though to give you similar level sensor performancd though (perhaps Nikon or Sony?).
Lots of success to you, and nice of you to share your experience.

Chris
Yes, but the video part made Canon best choice. And of course the offer I got from Tamron, made Sony difficult. But now Tamron is gunning for Sony too, so that might be a good option later on. But got to admit I really miss the quality on the files for stills on the K-1 and 645Z
02-27-2019, 03:43 AM - 2 Likes   #278
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Llanelli, Wales
Posts: 5,118
Tokina make a wonderful 50/1.4 for your Canons, I hear...

02-27-2019, 03:48 AM   #279
Veteran Member
kenspo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oslo
Posts: 2,204
Hehe..Yes..So they say But I'll have to wait for the new one from Tamron.

Im allowed to fill in with Samyang AF where I can't/don't have Tamrons..The new AF lenses from Samyang is so incredible!
02-27-2019, 03:48 AM   #280
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,004
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
It can be, but you'll never find a system that is 100% on anything. Its about finding what makes your work easier and better
For cars it's the same: after sales service is almost already better if you select the brand that is the most popular in your region (the staff is well trained and they have more spare parts readily available in stock). So, at the end of the day, it's a trade between service and what kind of product features you need to do your job. Canon service is so great that when I met them they did not mind helping me on my Pentax gear (which I found pretty amazing.... but they are smart... why? because if they serve without visible money interest it gives a very good impression to maybe a future customer). Pentax service can also be good, but it's not standardized as it depends very much who you have on the phone and when you are calling, if good luck then great, if no good luck then good luck.. OTOH, I don't find that Canon have much special with their cameras, sometimes Pentax offer interesting functions that Canon don't do, but it looks like Canon want to be mainstream and global instead of being niche player, so it makes sense that Canon are going for the service and accessories, while Pentax are going to specialty features.

---------- Post added 27-02-19 at 11:55 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
So the grass s sometimes greener on the other side?
If you have chosen Pentax for the long lenses and the sport cameras that go with the long lenses , then you have bet on the wrong horse.
02-27-2019, 05:17 AM   #281
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 619
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For cars it's the same: after sales service is almost already better if you select the brand that is the most popular in your region (the staff is well trained and they have more spare parts readily available in stock). So, at the end of the day, it's a trade between service and what kind of product features you need to do your job. Canon service is so great that when I met them they did not mind helping me on my Pentax gear (which I found pretty amazing.... but they are smart... why? because if they serve without visible money interest it gives a very good impression to maybe a future customer). Pentax service can also be good, but it's not standardized as it depends very much who you have on the phone and when you are calling, if good luck then great, if no good luck then good luck.. OTOH, I don't find that Canon have much special with their cameras, sometimes Pentax offer interesting functions that Canon don't do, but it looks like Canon want to be mainstream and global instead of being niche player, so it makes sense that Canon are going for the service and accessories, while Pentax are going to specialty features.

---------- Post added 27-02-19 at 11:55 ----------


If you have chosen Pentax for the long lenses and the sport cameras that go with the long lenses , then you have bet on the wrong horse.
Pentax has not been cast in stone since I adopted the system with the K5. At that time, and certainly with the K3 introduction, it was a viable budget wildlife kit.

Fast forward to 2019, I cannot but agree fully with you. The KP, and now the KP custom, has made that clear to me. It's now about waiting for the Nikon 500PF to become available. That lens is facing demand that seems to defy the shrinking camera market.
Last year though, if at Photokina we would have had the APS-c body that many here (that have not ledt already) seem to have been waiting for, I would have continued to use the Pentax system. The DA560 is a good lens. Even if there would have been a FF camera that could double as a crop wildlife birding camera, I would have gotten it. The way it is now, Pentax under Ricoh has drifted towards a high IQ slow stills system exclusively.

Chris
02-27-2019, 07:14 AM   #282
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,010
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If you have chosen Pentax for the long lenses and the sport cameras that go with the long lenses , then you have bet on the wrong horse.
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Fast forward to 2019, I cannot but agree fully with you. The KP, and now the KP custom, has made that clear to me. It's now about waiting for the Nikon 500PF to become available. That lens is facing demand that seems to defy the shrinking camera market.
Last year though, if at Photokina we would have had the APS-c body that many here (that have not ledt already) seem to have been waiting for, I would have continued to use the Pentax system. The DA560 is a good lens. Even if there would have been a FF camera that could double as a crop wildlife birding camera, I would have gotten it. The way it is now, Pentax under Ricoh has drifted towards a high IQ slow stills system exclusively.
That entirely depends on what you need from a "wildlife" / "birding" system. With its 24mp and higher ISO {which makes TAv mode much more useable}, the KP has definitely advanced what I am able to catch with my $1100 system {KP + 55-300 PLM cost less than the cost of a D500}.
Anonymous Bug Eater - PentaxForums.com
No one in control tower - PentaxForums.com
tempers flare... - PentaxForums.com
Exit Stage Right - PentaxForums.com
Birds Landing - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by reh321; 02-27-2019 at 07:27 AM.
02-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #283
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 619
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That entirely depends on what you need from a "wildlife" / "birding" system. With its 24mp and higher ISO {which makes TAv mode much more useable}, the KP has definitely advanced what I am able to catch with my $1100 system {KP + 55-300 PLM cost less than the cost of a D500}.
Anonymous Bug Eater - PentaxForums.com
No one in control tower - PentaxForums.com
tempers flare... - PentaxForums.com
Exit Stage Right - PentaxForums.com
Birds Landing - PentaxForums.com
I am not saying that I cannot take wonderful birding shots with my Pentax set-up though.
It is just not enough, in that I will be honest. I still believe, and will continue to do so, that Pentax did not invest enough in its APS-c system in the last 5 years, and did not get a competitive, current APS-c body out the door in time.
That is simply how I see it, Pentax under Ricoh neglected its APS-c portfolio.
You are welcome to disagree, no problem. Other brands are picking up on their APS-c offerings, so no problem, especially Nikon has made strides, albeit for a specific target group, with its D500 and now the, somewhat spectacular, 500mm PF. I have one on pre-order, with an agreement to trade in my DA560 + 1.4TC. It may still take until summer, the lens is simply so heavily pre-ordered that it might even take the whole year to get it in proper stock.

Chris
02-28-2019, 01:25 AM   #284
Pentaxian
redpit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Athens
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,525
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
Pentax has not been cast in stone since I adopted the system with the K5. At that time, and certainly with the K3 introduction, it was a viable budget wildlife kit.

Fast forward to 2019, I cannot but agree fully with you. The KP, and now the KP custom, has made that clear to me. It's now about waiting for the Nikon 500PF to become available. That lens is facing demand that seems to defy the shrinking camera market.
Last year though, if at Photokina we would have had the APS-c body that many here (that have not ledt already) seem to have been waiting for, I would have continued to use the Pentax system. The DA560 is a good lens. Even if there would have been a FF camera that could double as a crop wildlife birding camera, I would have gotten it. The way it is now, Pentax under Ricoh has drifted towards a high IQ slow stills system exclusively.

Chris
Chris this might change with the introduction of a K-3 replacement. AFAIK this is going to happen until the end of 2019. On the meantime of course Nikon might have released the 500PF the 760 or even a D500 upgrade, but this is the Pentax pace and philosophy (not irrational for a small, high quality company but also not convinient for many photographers, that's true).
02-28-2019, 02:52 AM   #285
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2013
Photos: Albums
Posts: 619
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Chris this might change with the introduction of a K-3 replacement. AFAIK this is going to happen until the end of 2019. On the meantime of course Nikon might have released the 500PF the 760 or even a D500 upgrade, but this is the Pentax pace and philosophy (not irrational for a small, high quality company but also not convinient for many photographers, that's true).
I have finally made a decision. I now have a Nikon D500 + 500mm f5.6 PF + 1.4TC on order with an option for trading in the DA560 and 1.4TC. I am grateful to my camera store for offering a trade in, because it was impossible to sell the lens privately, and I did try.
It was the better option for me. Hope for other Pentax APS-c users though, that a K3 successor does eventually surface.

Chris
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
ambassador, balance, burst, colombia, compression, countries, depth, distributor, exposure, iq, iso, jpeg, k1, kenspo moves, lenses, level, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, person, pics, pm, post, posts, range, thanks, time, wb
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reconciling the Kenspo/Normhead Lens Discordance... rampant speculation... TwoUptons Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 67 12-23-2017 05:27 AM
Sony moves to #2 in US Full Frame Market/Sales Winder Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 93 04-22-2017 10:53 AM
Kenspo! crop 1:1 question. Gimbal Pentax K-1 31 02-21-2016 11:48 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top