Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 12:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

He has a "Thank You" thread about it, and he goes to Tamron and will use 5D mark IV:
Thank you! - PentaxForums.com

09-01-2018, 03:33 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe he can persuade Tamron to make K-mount lenses

09-01-2018, 04:11 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Maybe he can persuade Tamron to make K-mount lenses
The only persuasion they’ll heed is a very large uptick in K-1/ii sales. Or another deal with Ricoh that delivers them a nice profit from more re-badging efforts*.

* I realise it is a bit more than mere re-badging, but not a lot.
09-01-2018, 04:14 AM   #19
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems to me - He leaps off

09-01-2018, 04:20 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

This must be hard for you Slartibartfast, first the fjords, now Kenspo.
Best laid plans of mice.
09-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It is a total package over whats best for me and my development. This is what I do for a living. There is some minor things that have made me frustrated at times,
I guess this is why most pros eventually leave the brand at some point.. they just can't develop as they wish with Pentax and sometimes Pentax/Ricoh makes people frustrated with their passivity.

Great photographer, and very nice having here around by the time K1 was coming out.

Last edited by kooks; 09-01-2018 at 09:25 PM.
09-01-2018, 08:14 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Originally posted by clackers*
It is a total package over whats best for me and my development. This is what I do for a living. There is some minor things that have made me frustrated at times,
I guess this is why most pros eventually leave the brand at some point.. they just can't develop as they wish with Pentax and sometimes Pentax/Ricoh makes people frustrated with their passivity.
I don't have a good sense what that really means, either your interpretation or what kenspo said. The "total package" involves significant financial support (beyond equipment)? Or the equipment that Pentax has is not sufficient, compared to the Tamron/Canon combination? I assume it is the first one, but I don't really know. It would seem that he is provided with the new equipment, though, rather than buying it himself? Was that the case with Pentax as well?

09-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
It would seem that he is provided with the new equipment, though, rather than buying it himself? Was that the case with Pentax as well?
Ricoh was providing him with their latest equipment for free, but the thing is that Ricoh/Pentax latest equipment is not released at the same speed as other brands, we are still missing a lot of modern lenses, other FFs and you know.. a more complete package in general.. eventually that might turn into frustration, and if you add to that equation a good monetary offer well.. there is nothing much to say. Now, im not saying that this is his case, but could be a reason to jump with Tamron/Canon.
09-02-2018, 01:33 AM - 26 Likes   #24
Veteran Member

Thank you for all the kind words everyone!!

I just feel I need to answer this one:

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I don't have a good sense what that really means, either your interpretation or what kenspo said. The "total package" involves significant financial support (beyond equipment)? Or the equipment that Pentax has is not sufficient, compared to the Tamron/Canon combination? I assume it is the first one, but I don't really know. It would seem that he is provided with the new equipment, though, rather than buying it himself? Was that the case with Pentax as well?
With total package I mean what makes my days and workflow easier. I do more and more video beside my rock'n roll photography Until now I have used K-1 and K-1ii + 645Z for stills. While Panasonic has provided me with video gear. Not ideal, but it has kind of worked since Panasonic works a lot with Focus Nordic who is responsible for Pentax in the nordic and baltic countries. I have got everything I wanted from both Ricoh and Panasonic, so I cant complain there But the main issue for me, and the reason for a growing frustration, is both the speed of development and that the fps and buffer is something that makes my days harder. K-1ii became worse, not better then K-1 here..Im tired of always need to calculate to get the awesome stuff. Sometimes I hit, other times I miss..The reason I stayed so long, is a combination between that I was thinking this will be better in future models and that I really love the files Pentax produces..

But the little things that was something I could live with in the beginning, started to grow to a bigger and bigger frustration..When I work directly with bands, it wasn't as frustrating, cause then I had the whole evening to shoot. But when I cover a show as a regular press photographer, I have very limited time to get my shots (with KISS we got around 5min to get the pics), then the fps and buffer is really really a crucial point. It started to become such a big frustration that my motivation slowly faded away..When people like Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Guns N Roses + + + are on the stage and you miss everything from jumps to flames etc because both cameras was buffering, it is not fun. I tried to turn the negative spiral of frustration around, but was unable too I was also getting tired of always needed to carry around many bags with two different systems when I was traveling with a band doing both stills and video. Now I get just 2 cameras covering both (with a couple of gopro's). The AF is better in challenging condition then people think..So that wasn't an issue.

My main tasks as an ambassador was to sell in the system to pros and get Pentax to be taken seriously. I feel I succeeded with the last one, but the first one was close to impossible cause most pros felt it would be a step down from what they already had due to certain features (or lack of) and speed of development. Most of them loved what I did with the system and they respected Pentax..But they wouldn't change system...So it felt like trying to sell a car to a blind man. And when I sold more Tamron lenses then I ever could do with Pentax, we started to talk about me just doing the switch. I tested both Nikon and Canon. D850 crushes Canon on the quality in stills, but Nikon is no match to Canon on the video (even with the strange codec on Mark iv). Since video is so important to me now, my choice became 5D Mark iv. Even with a step down in stills quality compared to K-1/K-1ii, things will now be easier for me now. I get everything in one package.

I have no connection at all with Canon, just Tamron (they provide me with what I need of lenses). When I tested both Canon and Nikon combined with Tamron, it felt like a relief to shoot with knowing that the fps and buffer wouldn't make my evening frustrating. That combined with knowing that I now can travel around with everything in one bag, compared to 2-3 bags previous was making me do this choice. This was not a financial decision, it was a move I feel is the better for me as a total package.

Sorry for this long answer (not enough coffee yet ) but I hope this clear things up
09-02-2018, 05:24 AM   #25
Pentaxian

For concerts, from Canon, usually the right camera would be the 1Dx mark II, has high FPS, deep buffer and fantastic high ISO stills (when the light is not ideal), and for video it has dual pixels smooth AF and does 4K @ 60fps.
09-02-2018, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

I know..1Dx mark II would be the perfect choice..But since im paying for my own camera houses this time, it would be waaaay too much..lol! Thats why Mark iv will do the job
09-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Thank you for all the kind words everyone!!

I just feel I need to answer this one:

With total package I mean what makes my days and workflow easier. I do more and more video beside my rock'n roll photography Until now I have used K-1 and K-1ii + 645Z for stills. While Panasonic has provided me with video gear. Not ideal, but it has kind of worked since Panasonic works a lot with Focus Nordic who is responsible for Pentax in the nordic and baltic countries. I have got everything I wanted from both Ricoh and Panasonic, so I cant complain there But the main issue for me, and the reason for a growing frustration, is both the speed of development and that the fps and buffer is something that makes my days harder. K-1ii became worse, not better then K-1 here..Im tired of always need to calculate to get the awesome stuff. Sometimes I hit, other times I miss..The reason I stayed so long, is a combination between that I was thinking this will be better in future models and that I really love the files Pentax produces..

But the little things that was something I could live with in the beginning, started to grow to a bigger and bigger frustration..When I work directly with bands, it wasn't as frustrating, cause then I had the whole evening to shoot. But when I cover a show as a regular press photographer, I have very limited time to get my shots (with KISS we got around 5min to get the pics), then the fps and buffer is really really a crucial point. It started to become such a big frustration that my motivation slowly faded away..When people like Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Guns N Roses + + + are on the stage and you miss everything from jumps to flames etc because both cameras was buffering, it is not fun. I tried to turn the negative spiral of frustration around, but was unable too I was also getting tired of always needed to carry around many bags with two different systems when I was traveling with a band doing both stills and video. Now I get just 2 cameras covering both (with a couple of gopro's). The AF is better in challenging condition then people think..So that wasn't an issue.

My main tasks as an ambassador was to sell in the system to pros and get Pentax to be taken seriously. I feel I succeeded with the last one, but the first one was close to impossible cause most pros felt it would be a step down from what they already had due to certain features (or lack of) and speed of development. Most of them loved what I did with the system and they respected Pentax..But they wouldn't change system...So it felt like trying to sell a car to a blind man. And when I sold more Tamron lenses then I ever could do with Pentax, we started to talk about me just doing the switch. I tested both Nikon and Canon. D850 crushes Canon on the quality in stills, but Nikon is no match to Canon on the video (even with the strange codec on Mark iv). Since video is so important to me now, my choice became 5D Mark iv. Even with a step down in stills quality compared to K-1/K-1ii, things will now be easier for me now. I get everything in one package.

I have no connection at all with Canon, just Tamron (they provide me with what I need of lenses). When I tested both Canon and Nikon combined with Tamron, it felt like a relief to shoot with knowing that the fps and buffer wouldn't make my evening frustrating. That combined with knowing that I now can travel around with everything in one bag, compared to 2-3 bags previous was making me do this choice. This was not a financial decision, it was a move I feel is the better for me as a total package.

Sorry for this long answer (not enough coffee yet ) but I hope this clear things up
It is kind of what I thought.. the buffer frustration comes to me too at key moments.. and eventually it turns into a big deal..

5Dmk4 is a good camera, as you said not with the same quality for stills but it will make your life easier for sure.. have fun with it 😉
09-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanx..Will try to hehe..I feel the total package will be better and easier for me now. But will for sure miss the picture quality from K-1!!
09-02-2018, 09:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Thanks for the explanation!

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
fps and buffer is something that makes my days harder. K-1ii became worse, not better then K-1 here.
Can you elaborate on this? It's something I hadn't heard before.
09-02-2018, 10:05 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Ken, please tell Tamron that we want the SP line and tap-in for Pentax too;] I would go for 35/85 f1.8 the same day they hit the store shelves for Pentax mount...