Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 07:01 AM - 1 Like   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Ricoh wont miss that
Pentax is too secretive for their own good - things like the thread begging for a K-3 replacement can't do them any good. I've gathered that sometimes you said more than they would have preferred, but that has served as a safety release - encouraging us that something good will happen .... Pentax needs that whether they understand that or not, and we cannot thank you enough for that, regardless who is aware of what you said.

09-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Somebody got to cheer you guys up when Japan fails haha!

But seriously, they should have a totally different strategy..With due to their situation. But that is just my private opinion. I like Pentax and want all the best
09-05-2018, 07:17 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
If that’s the case, then I suppose Nikon must be happier just selling their converter than selling the rights to the Z-mount, so people can use new F-mount Tamrons, rather than Nikon’s new (and presumably more expensive) Z-mount lenses. Sigma will just reverse engineer the Z-mount, of course.
Yes, the converter is what they're focusing on. And it makes them sell more in lens motor optics since it doesn't have a screw drive, which they could've included if they wanted, but it's all strategy. There's also the thing about video and the awful screw drive noise.
Since the Z mount has nothing in between the sensor (and its filters) and the rear element of any of its lenses, there's no need for a retrofocus design, so they will be simpler. And that should make them easier to produce, thus cheaper. BUT, since it's also a supply and demand thing, I guess the new lenses will be very expensive, compared to others. Also because Nikkor lenses tend to be priced higher than their equivalents from other brands. That's also a reason for not letting third parties produce lenses for their mount. In other words, sort of to keep their "niche".
I would encourage Ricoh to release a Pentax FF K-01 II. They could make lenses that protrude into the K mount like some fisheyes which had to be used with mirror lock-up or like the Mamiya 7 wide angles. Also, a new 645 model could have that option and a newer selection of wide angle lenses.
I guess I should start a new thread…

09-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Yes, the converter is what they're focusing on. And it makes them sell more in lens motor optics since it doesn't have a screw drive, which they could've included if they wanted, but it's all strategy. There's also the thing about video and the awful screw drive noise.
Since the Z mount has nothing in between the sensor (and its filters) and the rear element of any of its lenses, there's no need for a retrofocus design, so they will be simpler. And that should make them easier to produce, thus cheaper. BUT, since it's also a supply and demand thing, I guess the new lenses will be very expensive, compared to others. Also because Nikkor lenses tend to be priced higher than their equivalents from other brands. That's also a reason for not letting third parties produce lenses for their mount. In other words, sort of to keep their "niche".
I would encourage Ricoh to release a Pentax FF K-01 II. They could make lenses that protrude into the K mount like some fisheyes which had to be used with mirror lock-up or like the Mamiya 7 wide angles. Also, a new 645 model could have that option and a newer selection of wide angle lenses.
I guess I should start a new thread…
We've had enough threads discussing the possibility of a new Pentax MILC. Many users who remain with Pentax hate EVF.

09-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #80
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nah..something is coming, but wouldn't hold my breath for something groundbreaking (really dont know all details, since I've not paid much attention lately).
That is my feeling too. Incremental releases at two plus year intervals is not a great strategy to pull in new customers or retain old ones. I have to admit that the Nikon D850 holds a lot of interest for me. It offers a complete system with plenty of great third party offerings for those so inclined. Having to look at 20+ year old full frame teleconverters to replace my current cloudy one does not speak well for Ricoh's commitment to the future success of the brand or the system. There may be one on some mythical "lens roadmap" somewhere, but waiting 5 years for one is totally ridiculous.

If they can't come up with such a basic part of the kit what is the hope for any future "groundbreaking" announcements? Why have a camera with the capabilities of the K1/K1=II if you have to scrounge around in used parts bins to find accessories to use with it? I doubt that I will be spending any more money on Pentax APSc or full frame if Ricoh does not do something significant. No baby steps are going to get me to open my wallet anymore. They have been relying on the brand loyalty of their customer base far too long.
09-05-2018, 09:24 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
That is my feeling too. Incremental releases at two plus year intervals is not a great strategy to pull in new customers or retain old ones. I have to admit that the Nikon D850 holds a lot of interest for me. It offers a complete system with plenty of great third party offerings for those so inclined. Having to look at 20+ year old full frame teleconverters to replace my current cloudy one does not speak well for Ricoh's commitment to the future success of the brand or the system. There may be one on some mythical "lens roadmap" somewhere, but waiting 5 years for one is totally ridiculous.

If they can't come up with such a basic part of the kit what is the hope for any future "groundbreaking" announcements? Why have a camera with the capabilities of the K1/K1=II if you have to scrounge around in used parts bins to find accessories to use with it? I doubt that I will be spending any more money on Pentax APSc or full frame if Ricoh does not do something significant. No baby steps are going to get me to open my wallet anymore. They have been relying on the brand loyalty of their customer base far too long.
I'll be perfectly happy once I scrape up enough money for me to purchase a KP,,

Kenspo has left Pentax because burst rate for K-1 is insufficient for his work;
others are waiting for KP capabilities + longer queue in a K-3 type body;

what particular capability are you waiting for?
09-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Thank you for all the kind words everyone!!

I just feel I need to answer this one:

With total package I mean what makes my days and workflow easier. I do more and more video beside my rock'n roll photography Until now I have used K-1 and K-1ii + 645Z for stills. While Panasonic has provided me with video gear. Not ideal, but it has kind of worked since Panasonic works a lot with Focus Nordic who is responsible for Pentax in the nordic and baltic countries. I have got everything I wanted from both Ricoh and Panasonic, so I cant complain there But the main issue for me, and the reason for a growing frustration, is both the speed of development and that the fps and buffer is something that makes my days harder. K-1ii became worse, not better then K-1 here..Im tired of always need to calculate to get the awesome stuff. Sometimes I hit, other times I miss..The reason I stayed so long, is a combination between that I was thinking this will be better in future models and that I really love the files Pentax produces..

But the little things that was something I could live with in the beginning, started to grow to a bigger and bigger frustration..When I work directly with bands, it wasn't as frustrating, cause then I had the whole evening to shoot. But when I cover a show as a regular press photographer, I have very limited time to get my shots (with KISS we got around 5min to get the pics), then the fps and buffer is really really a crucial point. It started to become such a big frustration that my motivation slowly faded away..When people like Rob Halford (Judas Priest), Guns N Roses + + + are on the stage and you miss everything from jumps to flames etc because both cameras was buffering, it is not fun. I tried to turn the negative spiral of frustration around, but was unable too I was also getting tired of always needed to carry around many bags with two different systems when I was traveling with a band doing both stills and video. Now I get just 2 cameras covering both (with a couple of gopro's). The AF is better in challenging condition then people think..So that wasn't an issue.

My main tasks as an ambassador was to sell in the system to pros and get Pentax to be taken seriously. I feel I succeeded with the last one, but the first one was close to impossible cause most pros felt it would be a step down from what they already had due to certain features (or lack of) and speed of development. Most of them loved what I did with the system and they respected Pentax..But they wouldn't change system...So it felt like trying to sell a car to a blind man. And when I sold more Tamron lenses then I ever could do with Pentax, we started to talk about me just doing the switch. I tested both Nikon and Canon. D850 crushes Canon on the quality in stills, but Nikon is no match to Canon on the video (even with the strange codec on Mark iv). Since video is so important to me now, my choice became 5D Mark iv. Even with a step down in stills quality compared to K-1/K-1ii, things will now be easier for me now. I get everything in one package.

I have no connection at all with Canon, just Tamron (they provide me with what I need of lenses). When I tested both Canon and Nikon combined with Tamron, it felt like a relief to shoot with knowing that the fps and buffer wouldn't make my evening frustrating. That combined with knowing that I now can travel around with everything in one bag, compared to 2-3 bags previous was making me do this choice. This was not a financial decision, it was a move I feel is the better for me as a total package.

Sorry for this long answer (not enough coffee yet ) but I hope this clear things up
kenspo the issues you have with the K-1 and K-1ii are not the buffer it is the slow UHS-I sd card bus. Once this is upgraded you may find yourself back to Pentax. Pentax has always slow walked keeping up with the faster SD bus speeds for the K-1 it really shows.

09-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'll be perfectly happy once I scrape up enough money for me to purchase a KP,,

Kenspo has left Pentax because burst rate for K-1 is insufficient for his work;
others are waiting for KP capabilities + longer queue in a K-3 type body;

Well, I have a K5-IIs, K3, K1 and K1-II. All are good cameras and the K1 image quality is awesome. I need faster burst rate on full frame. I need a larger buffer and faster writing. I need a full frame teleconverter. Preferably a new one and not another 20 plus years old piece of glass. My current teleconverter is getting cloudy and it is nearing the time to replace it. It also needs to be compatible with the latest Pentax lenses.

I am getting older and shakier and manual focus is going to get harder for me to do. I am going to need a fast and reliable autofocus system that can work for me rather then me work with it. This is just a reality that my future holds in store for me. I would like to continue photographing wildlife and my grand kids playing sports. The camera is going to have to take over more of these duties for me.

I am okay now, but going into the future there will be a time when I am going to have to fish or cut bait with Pentax. Whatever Pentax decides to do will make this decision for me. If I have to change systems it will be a sad day for me, but there is a reality out there that cannot be avoided. Using tripods and monopods will help, but they will not solve all the problems. If a different system will allow me a few more years of enjoying photography, then that is what I will need to switch too.

This has not got me depressed as I have been blessed to have lived long enough to develop these problems. It is just life and I intend to keep on plowing through it doing as much as I can as long as I can.

Now back to our regular programming.
09-05-2018, 11:35 AM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote

The big advantage to the D850 is it's a one camera for everything type solution. The downside is the weight of the telephotos. Guys like me are happy to get by with old glass, it's a lot cheaper.
09-05-2018, 11:45 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The big advantage to the D850 is it's a one camera for everything type solution. The downside is the weight of the telephotos. Guys like me are happy to get by with old glass, it's a lot cheaper.
Its unfortunate that Pentax couldnt of got ahold of the faster 42MP sony sensor and gave the K-1 II a bit of a speed and resolution boost. I dont really understand the buisiness side of this but it would have changed things a bit.
09-05-2018, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Its unfortunate that Pentax couldnt of got ahold of the faster 42MP sony sensor and gave the K-1 II a bit of a speed and resolution boost. I dont really understand the buisiness side of this but it would have changed things a bit.
Its also too bad Nikon didn't implement pixel shift, that actually allows a K-1 to out perform a D850 in still life images or implement IBIS for wide angle and standard lenses. You pays your money and you takes your pick.
09-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #87
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Well getting that sensor would not be enough. Then Pentax needs a faster processor, deeper buffer, faster pipeline to get the file to the SD card, getting faster writing to the card........that are a lot of changes and you would see that back in the price for the camera.
09-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well getting that sensor would not be enough. Then Pentax needs a faster processor, deeper buffer, faster pipeline to get the file to the SD card, getting faster writing to the card........that are a lot of changes and you would see that back in the price for the camera.
I fully agree - and not only that, but it means completely replacing the K-1 (as opposed to a mild update) 2 years after release. Not even Sony would do that.
09-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Maybe Kenspo can get Tamron to use my good lens ideas! And come back to k-mount!
09-05-2018, 12:52 PM - 2 Likes   #90
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I can't speak for gaweidert, but I'm waiting for something that will enhance my artistic talent and will enable me to see light the way a good photographer sees it. Until then, there isn't much that will improve my images. Existing equipment, with the exception of occasional focus failure, is hardly the weak link.