Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 02:21 PM - 3 Likes   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For my own part, from day one I pointed out kenspo was not a natural fit as a Pentax shooter. He valued things pentax doesn't offer. He doesn't value what they do offer. I enjoyed his presence as a kind of Santa Klaus, keeping us up on new developments, but things are now the way they always should have been. Bottom line, he never should have been here. And that for me is the issue, as said above, he was a hired gun. Not a life long Pentax shooter like many Pentax Ambassadors.

I'll ,miss him as a person and a source of information, but he wasn't the best Pentax representative. Just the only one who could stand the negativity of the forum, and that even got under his skin from time to time.

Seriously, I wish him all the best, but let's not pretend this is some kind of disaster.

He's a working pro, and for his field of endeavour, Pentax wasn't suitable. I wouldn't have even tried what he tried to do with a K-1. Pentax is for those of us who don't mind trying little harder to get professional results than a pro should have to in many fields of photograhic endeavour, but who don't want to pay pro prices. One of my favourite features, Pixel Shift, I bet kenspo didn't ever take one. He didn't use everything it had to offer in some areas, and in other areas it was insufficient for his needs.

But, that doesn't mean it's insufficient for anyone else's needs. Every one is different.

Meanwhile...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/241198-k3-sample-shots-po...ml#post4455044

Last edited by normhead; 09-06-2018 at 02:39 PM.
09-06-2018, 08:20 PM - 2 Likes   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I doubt that I will be spending any more money on Pentax APSc or full frame if Ricoh does not do something significant. No baby steps are going to get me to open my wallet anymore. They have been relying on the brand loyalty of their customer base far too long.
Im on the same boat here.. I like the new 50mm have money to get it.. but this baby steps are not working for me. :/ :/

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
For my own part, from day one I pointed out kenspo was not a natural fit as a Pentax shooter. He valued things pentax doesn't offer. He doesn't value what they do offer. I enjoyed his presence as a kind of Santa Klaus, keeping us up on new developments, but things are now the way they always should have been. Bottom line, he never should have been here. And that for me is the issue, as said above, he was a hired gun. Not a life long Pentax shooter like many Pentax Ambassadors.
Well it all depends of how you see it.. he came to Pentax using a K3 camera, and was hired to promote and show what Pentax can do, also to try to get pro shooters into the Pentax system, as he said, this last task even if the other people knew how nice the pictures were the Pentax eco-system was a step back from what they were shooting... IMO the brand did a gamble with that move, because looks like they were trying to show that Pentax could be on the same league as other event photographers (such as concerts) but after the K1 release this idea started to fade little by little, once again, the camera is in fact too nichy and events were not really the best fit, even so, he did some awsome work with it. I wouldn't say that he "should never been here", perhaps the idea that they had about how he could help the brand was good for him and the company at the begining, but this did not turn out so well for the photographers own development.
09-06-2018, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #138
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The thing IS, if I optimize my K1 settings (exposure adjust, and jpeg compression) I can shot 27 images bursts... When I compare IQ of 3 different JPEG 22Mpix setting at 100% on screen, I can't see the difference of IQ between the medium compression setting and the lowest compression setting. So the whole trick is to get the exposure right, then it opens up further burst rate capability on the K1. And that's a very interesting thing.... because if I look at the Canon gear, they do achieve higher frame rate and buffer but not with 36Mpixel no-compression quality level. I had never tried the mid compression level on my K1, but the files are a lot smaller, and I cannot tell the difference of IQ even zoomed at 100%, so I guess the compression algorithm is very effective. So for a landscape setting, I could use RAW to max out on the dynamic range and possible shadow recovery in post, but for a concert in low light high ISO I'd use the 22M JPEG with mid compression level it would allow me plenty of room for bursts. Maybe, shooting exclusively in RAW isn't taking the most advantage out of the K1 camera. Anyway, if you shoot at ISO6400, you've already lost 6 bits of dynamic range due to increased ISO setting + sensor ISO invariance, so even if you shoot RAW at ISO 6400 you won't get more than 8 bit depth per channel, = same as if you shoot JPEG in terms of possibility of post process the image.

ISO | RAW RGB bit depth | JPEG
100 | 14 bits | 8 bits => shoot RAW, buffer depth 11 frames
200 | 13 bits | 8 bits "
400 | 12 bits | 8 bits "
800 | 11 bits | 8 bits "
1600 | 10 bits | 8 bits "
3200 | 9 bits | 8 bits => shoot JPEG 36M ***, buffer depth 23 frames
6400 | 8 bits | 8 bits => shoot JPEG 22M ***, buffer depth 25 frames
12800 | 7 bits | 7 bits => shoot JPEG 22M **, buffer depth 27 frames

---------- Post added 07-09-18 at 08:55 ----------

Thanks for the links, those are shot at ISO 3200 and 6400 where you don't get benefit of RAW anymore... Shooting JPEG on a K1 would still give better IQ than with K3, and still 25 burst depth.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-07-2018 at 12:20 AM.
09-07-2018, 01:22 AM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The thing IS, if I optimize my K1 settings (exposure adjust, and jpeg compression) I can shot 27 images bursts...
27 image burst with what settings? Continous H, 22mpx, JPEG Low without RAW?

However the problem is not the buffer but the writing, the k-1 is "blocked" when, after the burst, decides to write on the memories.

09-07-2018, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
27 image burst with what settings? Continous H, 22mpx, JPEG Low without RAW?
Yes.

However the problem is not the buffer but the writing, the k-1 is "blocked" when, after the burst, decides to write on the memories.
Writing is a lot shorter with JPEG medium (**) because files are smaller, but at high iso there is not benefit to record mostly noise data. I use Sandisk pro 64G SD card in slot#1, using a slower (cheaper card in slot#2 where I backup keepers). Been shooting ice skating competition and other indoors at ISO6400, visual perception of image quality is about 12Mpixel equivalent even when shooting RAW 36Mp due to reduced dynamic range and noise, that's how I came about to shoot JPEG again. But 12 good Mpixels is enough for printing a poster, and printing in sport magazines, at an international ice skating competition I've already delivered 12Mp JPEG, including delivery to US team that was on the podium at the end, and they were very happy with images, so... Now when I go there I get the full media pass to access the area next to ORF TV (national TV channel), having Pentax written on my camera is not a problem.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-07-2018 at 01:47 AM.
09-07-2018, 02:15 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Yes.

Writing is a lot shorter with JPEG medium (**) because files are smaller, but at high iso there is not benefit to record mostly noise data. I use Sandisk pro 64G SD card in slot#1, using a slower (cheaper card in slot#2 where I backup keepers). Been shooting ice skating competition and other indoors at ISO6400, visual perception of image quality is about 12Mpixel equivalent even when shooting RAW 36Mp due to reduced dynamic range and noise, that's how I came about to shoot JPEG again. But 12 good Mpixels is enough for printing a poster, and printing in sport magazines, at an international ice skating competition I've already delivered 12Mp JPEG, including delivery to US team that was on the podium at the end, and they were very happy with images, so... Now when I go there I get the full media pass to access the area next to ORF TV (national TV channel), having Pentax written on my camera is not a problem.
That sounds interesting. I assume you dont do lots of post on these jepgs? Or are they sufficient for that, too?
09-07-2018, 03:12 AM   #142
Pentaxian

Yes.

Then JPEG medium or low to have 27 burst? Please, can you share all your settings?

09-07-2018, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
That sounds interesting. I assume you dont do lots of post on these jepgs? Or are they sufficient for that, too?
On JPEG I add contrast and a little bit of sharpness in the final image, but that's all. Exposure and white balance must be correct before JPEG image capture, that means manual exposure (I taken a few test shots to verify) and manual WB, I bring a gray card I take a few shots to adjust the white balance because sometimes the lighting in not always even. Usually, they are a couple of places near subject matter and reserved for professionals, so I take some WB measurement at those places and save in camera (3 different manual WB setting can be saved). Works quite well. Autofocus is more tricky.

---------- Post added 07-09-18 at 12:34 ----------

Then JPEG medium or low to have 27 burst? Please, can you share all your settings?
I use continuous shooting High, JPEG 22Mp, Quality = 2*star (= intermediate), no NR, no lens correction, JPEG SD#1 only (I never used SD#2 for shooting, I only use SD#2 to backup keepers offline when there is a break).
09-07-2018, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well in the circles that Kenspo travels, low quality jpeg images are not going to cut it. When you are selling images and dealing with art directors you have to have as much data as you can get your hands upon to make the final image that your client wants or needs and that means you need the RAW files.
09-07-2018, 03:58 AM   #145
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Well in the circles that Kenspo travels, low quality jpeg images are not going to cut it. When you are selling images and dealing with art directors you have to have as much data as you can get your hands upon to make the final image that your client wants or needs and that means you need the RAW files.
Maybe for him yes. But for me, I never had request for such things. People who are not into camera tech just look at images, if the images are good, they don't dig further, and... they don't want RAW! When I started making a few pro jobs, I was very a bit scared to be kicked out, but in fact, there is a lot to do with self confidence, if they feel you are confident they hire you, if they feel you hesitate or don't feel confident they reject. When showing confidence, I get pro assignments, and the first time I was shocked how easy it was. I had another project that was to be official photographer for Miss Austria contests, haven't done yet, but it would just be to upload a couple of images on PF to show how easy it is to take photographs professionally. How many mega pixels do you think are needed to print A4 size in magazines? The D700 (12Mpixels, 12bits, 5 frames per second) has been the camera used professionally for a very long time...

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-07-2018 at 04:34 AM.
09-07-2018, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #146
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to see you go, kenspo. Good luck in your future endeavors.

From my perspective as a car guy, I make this observation. If you want to race cars, you don't buy a mini-van. Instead, you buy a high priced, finely tuned driving machine. But, how many finely tune driving machines does a manufacturer sell? A very low percentage of its overall sales. Yes, they accelerate faster and have a higher top speed but at the expense of fuel economy, interior space, cost to buy and maintain, and overall utility.

I see most Pentax owners as normal, rational everyday, folks who enjoy photograph. They're not the type of individual that needs all the bells and whistles, and certainly don't want to pay the extra price for those attributes. So, is Pentax doomed to fail? I very much doubt it. Pentax offers an excellent product at an excellent price for the masses. Is everyone a potential customer? No but not everyone needs a Corvette ZR-1 either. While a faster buffer might be important to a professional, or a video photographer, it is not something every wants, or needs. With every design, there are engineering trade-offs. My question to you is: Would you prefer a faster buffer or higher picture quality. I know what kenspo's answer is and I know what my answer is. We have different wants and needs and make our purchase decisions on how we intend to use the specif camera of choice.
09-07-2018, 06:43 AM   #147
Pentaxian

I use continuous shooting High, JPEG 22Mp, Quality = 2*star (= intermediate), no NR, no lens correction, JPEG SD#1 only (I never used SD#2 for shooting, I only use SD#2 to backup keepers offline when there is a break).
Sadly the memory cards configuration isn't included in USER modes settings.... then is impossible to build a super speed mode because my normal SDs configuration is RAW+.
09-07-2018, 06:49 AM   #148
Pentaxian

Sadly the memory cards configuration isn't included in USER modes settings.... then is impossible to build a super speed mode because my normal SDs configuration is RAW+.
Really? The file format is saved together with other parameters in the preferred USER modes.There is no need to go into the SD card config menu to change between RAW, RAW+ or JPEG. In addition, it is possible to add the RAW or RAW+ or JPEG setting in INFO panel (press INFO button, then +- and then scroll down in the menu), I have this set this way, when I want to change from RAW, RAW+ or JPEG L,M,S, I just have to press INFO and spin the dial wheel to change it. Very easy.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-07-2018 at 07:01 AM.
09-07-2018, 07:04 AM   #149
Pentaxian

Really? The file format is saved together with other parameters in the preferred USER modes.There is no need to go into the SD card config menu to change between RAW, RAW+ or JPEG. In addition, it is possible to add the RAW or RAW+ or JPEG setting in INFO panel, I have this set this way, when I want to change from RAW, RAW+ or JPEG L,M,S, I just have to press INFO and spin the dial wheel to change it. Very easy.
No, the file format SD cards configuration and the INFO panel is one for all modes but putting the SD cards configuration in the INFO panel is a wonderful solution, thanks!

Last edited by Andrea K; 09-07-2018 at 07:15 AM.
09-07-2018, 07:10 AM   #150
Pentaxian

No, the file format is one for all modes
It's not what I verified with my K1 (I just verified, I change the file format and saved it for my USER2 mode, switched off the K1, switched on the K1 again, verified the format of USER2 has been saved, then switched to USER1 and verified that the format is not the same as the format programmed in USER2, so I can guarantee you that the file format is set individually per USER mode, including JPEG size and JPEG quality setting.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-07-2018 at 07:21 AM.