Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 10:33 AM   #166
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
There is something called AWB (there is even the A mode that deals with multiple light sources). If the light changes every 3 seconds , how to do know the white point that changes every 3 seconds for adjusting the WB in post? (other then doing arbitrary color shifts in post).
Do you do much concert photography?

09-11-2018, 10:56 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Do you do much concert photography?
I've done quite a lot. And you, how much concert photography do you do? Since it is the wrong place to discuss that topic, I've started a new thread about how to set wb for concert photography.
09-11-2018, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #168
Pentaxian

I've done quite a lot. And you, how much concert photography do you do? Since it is the wrong place to discuss that topic, I've started a new thread about how to set wb for concert photography.
The problem is less that of white balance than it is of exposure; with the modern LED lighting, it can blow out a color channel quite easily. If you hope to combat that, other than totally avoiding it, then you probably need to shoot RAW and underexpose. My disagreement with what you were saying was not about WB, but how you claimed that shooting RAW was not necessary. Given the changing lighting conditions and the LED light intensity, if you have RAW available to you, it is yet another tool available to help get good photos. Sure, you always want to get the WB right ahead of time as much as possible, but the advantages of shooting RAW shouldn't be dismissed.
09-11-2018, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #169
Pentaxian

it can blow out a color channel quite easily
Unless using some weird JPEG setting, if it's blown out in jpeg. it will be blown out in raw as well, unfortunately.

---------- Post added 12-09-18 at 06:34 ----------

the advantages of shooting RAW shouldn't be dismissed
of course, using JPEG isn't ideal, it is for when there is no other solution to get longer bursts + faster buffer clearance.

09-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #170
Pentaxian

of course, using JPEG isn't ideal, it is for when there is no other solution to get longer bursts + faster buffer clearance.
Well, maybe we were talking about two different situations. My impression was that you were saying RAW is not necessary.

Do you have any tips on how to set good white balance in the moment, without something white/grey onstage to set it from? Those are situations that sometimes seem kind of hopeless, especially with mixed lighting.
09-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #171
Pentaxian

My impression was that you were saying RAW is not necessary.
It's necessary to read back to earlier posts, JPEG is the way to get more pictures without getting into buffer saturation, that was in on of the initial posts about working around the buffer saturation of the K1 in RAW. Apparently you did not read my posts and you jumped in for some reasons..

Do you have any tips on how to set good white balance in the moment
Yes, it's called AWB. And, the only way to get the white balance correct by post processing RAW is to have a white reference in the frame, when not having a white reference in the frame, shifting of white balance is arbitrary. But if colors aren't loyal to real vision, it isn't necessarily a problem, important is the get pleasing colors in the image output, that can be done via AWG, tweak of colors at RAW conversion and even manual in camera. I set the camera to daylight if I want to. The bottom line is, getting on location before the event starts and before it's crowded in order to take some test shots and alter camera settings to get intended result when the subject is there. I arrive a few hours before, take some test shots at multiple locations due to varying lighting, that's how I set exposure parameters and white balance, and that allow to shoot in JPEG. Anyway, I feel like back to kinder garden again. I'm afraid that it's not because someone has a "title" that the title gets the exclusivity of the results. Anyone, can, go out and photographs, get good images, as a hobby, or professionally.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-11-2018 at 10:20 PM.
09-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #172
Pentaxian

The problem is less that of white balance than it is of exposure; with the modern LED lighting, it can blow out a color channel quite easily. If you hope to combat that, other than totally avoiding it, then you probably need to shoot RAW and underexpose.
The Pentax K1 has highlight protection mode at ISO200 and beyond, it meter the highlights with the 86k RBG sensor (metering on the 3 color channels), physically underexpose by one stop or more (increases shutter speed if Av is used, or stop down the aperture if Tv is used), I've tested it in various conditions when getting to know the K1, and it works pretty well, I have it selected most of the time, and there is also an Auto-EV correction that can be enabled to correct for overexposure. People tend to shoot RAW and not use in camera automatic functions.

09-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #173
Pentaxian

The bottom line is, getting on location before the event starts and before it's crowded in order to take some test shots and alter camera settings to get intended result when the subject is there. I arrive a few hours before, take some test shots at multiple locations due to varying lighting, that's how I set exposure parameters and white balance, and that allow to shoot in JPEG.
I usually attend the tech rehearsal if I can (more for dance performances than concerts) and do the same, figuring out the lighting and white balance settings ahead of time for each number.
09-28-2018, 12:03 AM - 1 Like   #174

I've just found that Kenneth moved to Panasonic Lumix S1R. Kenneth himself numbered the reasons why he left Pentax: "AF, buffer, slower development of lenses then they told me, third party gear + + And of course video":

09-28-2018, 12:12 AM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
I've just found that Kenneth moved to Panasonic Lumix S1R. Kenneth himself numbered the reasons why he left Pentax: "AF, buffer, slower development of lenses then they told me, third party gear + + And of course video":
For video, OK - I thought he was a little unjustifiably enthusiastic about the S1R over here.
09-28-2018, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #176
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Amoon Quote
Lumix for video, Canon (and Tamron lenses) for stills.

---------- Post added 28-09-18 at 08:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
[...] I'm chugging a tin of lutefisk in your honour.
Lutefisk doesn't come in tins. I think you're mixing it with surströmling.
09-28-2018, 12:49 AM - 1 Like   #177
Pentaxian

He is Tamron ambassador now, he may pick whatever camera he needs to use for his job.
09-28-2018, 12:53 AM   #178
Pentaxian

As long as it fits his lens(es).
09-28-2018, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
He is Tamron ambassador now, he may pick whatever camera he needs to use for his job.
Except Pentax
09-28-2018, 02:25 AM   #180
Pentaxian

If there was a model that suit his requirements, then who knows, especialy in terms of Video and hi speed shooting. Still I think that will never happen xD