Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 07:28 AM - 7 Likes   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
You don't owe anyone here any explanation.
I appreciated Kenspo giving us insight into why he switched in and out of the K-mount ecosystem. He raises some valid points about the deficiencies in the K-1. As an ambassador, he is the perfect position to voice this. He has done this in a polite and respectful manner. A big thanks to Kenspo!

Last edited by MarkJerling; 09-30-2018 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Cleanup in isle 10.
09-28-2018, 08:59 AM - 4 Likes   #197
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know one thing, I have spent a hell of a lot more of my own cash on Pentax gear than Kenspo ever did and if I left I doubt anyone would even realise I was gone never mind give me a 14 page thread about why I moved to another brand
09-28-2018, 09:59 AM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I know one thing, I have spent a hell of a lot more of my own cash on Pentax gear than Kenspo ever did and if I left I doubt anyone would even realise I was gone never mind give me a 14 page thread about why I moved to another brand
We know who kenspo is, the impressive things he has done, and the demands that puts on equipment. I don't much about you, what you do, and the demands that puts on equipment.
09-28-2018, 10:31 AM - 3 Likes   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
We know who kenspo is, the impressive things he has done, and the demands that puts on equipment. I don't much about you, what you do, and the demands that puts on equipment.
You don't seem to have much of a sense of humour either.

09-28-2018, 10:35 AM   #200
Pentaxian

You don't seem to have much of a sense of humour either.
If you don't provide a smiley, I have to assume you are being serious - to do anything less would be disrespectful.

Some subjects are naturally sources of humor and some are innately serious.
09-28-2018, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #201
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you don't provide a smiley, I have to assume you are being serious - to do anything less would be disrespectful.
Am I the only one that can see the smiley right at the end of my original post then? It's been there all the time
09-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #202
Pentaxian

Am I the only one that can see the smiley right at the end of my original post then? It's been there all the time
I apologize - in that context I didn't know what it meant, and in case of doubt there are certain people, like Kenspo, Kerrowdown, and Norm, who automatically receive deference from me.

I know nobody would miss me if I left. I was gone all summer 2017 and I am quite sure that no one missed me.

09-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #203

Well your interaction with us fans here will be greatly missed but you are right - as a working pro you need a system that is optimal for the work you do. I love Pentax but their glacially slow pace of development is a concern (and I've used them exclusively since 1980) and do a limited amount of professional paid work. The absence of any announcement of a K3 APSC pro grade successor is very poor indeed when cameras like the EOS 7D MK2 and Nikon D500 have been out for about 2 years now with far superior buffer speeds, frame rates and focusing systems.

I use the K1 too and the image quality is utterly mesmerising and it is gorgeous ergonically and in terms of build, but I would love to see a much faster rollout of lenses to support the system and the buffer is slow and motion tracking relatively disappointing.

I won't be leaving anytime soon, but I'm keeping an eye on what Nikon are up to a bit more closely than I was.

Jon
www.jonathangorsephotography.com
09-29-2018, 06:28 AM - 8 Likes   #204
Pentaxian

Ya, I often think the same, but Pentax has enough old geezers like me buying product, they need some young blood. So, interesting thought process. Unfortunately, field cameras are likely to only be of interest to old geezers like me.

Who, is going to go to the Normhead "I need my sleep" camera and lens expo?

Or the Normhead, 'Pentax is slow for action shots but I'm slower so it doesn't matter" tour.

I'm willing to tour the world in support of Pentax, but, no overnight flights ( or morning or late evening for that matter) or drives, I need a rest day after a travel day, 3-4 is nap time and 4 is beer time. I'm willing to help but I'm not changing my schedule.
09-29-2018, 10:38 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
'Pentax is slow for action shots but I'm slower so it doesn't matter" tour.
I don't need to leave home for this tour. Matter of fact, I don't even get paint on me when painting the house these days.
09-29-2018, 11:03 PM - 2 Likes   #206
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I dont even have heard about that place..Hehe..! But I would love to go everywhere..So who knows
Goolwa is just south of where I live Ken. You and Noel would both be welcome at my place.
10-11-2018, 04:21 AM - 2 Likes   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Goolwa is just south of where I live Ken. You and Noel would both be welcome at my place.
Sandy has a better wine cellar..... I've been retired for 8 years.... so have drunk all mine.....
11-02-2018, 01:24 AM - 12 Likes   #208
Veteran Member

Dont know if anyone is interested, but here's a little "feedback".

My new life with Canon, is making my days easier. Faster AF, no buffer issues, don't have to use separate camera for video, third party gear world is MUCH bigger + + +

BUT, when it comes to quality of the files out of camera, Pentax is a BIG step ahead of the rest. Thats something Pentax can and should be proud of. If AF and buffer etc become a bit better in the future (yes, Pentax has a future), there is nothing stopping them from competing with the big boys in the pro world
11-02-2018, 02:09 AM - 1 Like   #209
Pentaxian

Faster AF, no buffer issues, don't have to use separate camera for video, third party gear world is MUCH bigger + + +BUT, when it comes to quality of the files out of camera, Pentax is a BIG step ahead of the rest.
That's pretty much it. I've been evaluating files for making extra large prints with the 645z and K1, then I also ended up using full size stock photos that I wanted for the composition, a lot of images are from Canon 5D series due the volume of photographs taken with Canon, but wow, I had to significantly lower my expectation of print size with the files from Canon, the drop in IQ from Pentax to Canon is striking. If I wouldn't use Pentax, there is no way I'd use Canon, I for sure would take a D850 or move straight to a 645z or GFX50. With Canon, the resolution is lower (except for the 5DSr) and there is a anti-alias filter on top which remote some of the details and there is this extra chroma noise immediately visible in the shadow areas. The D850 is a better choice.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 11-02-2018 at 02:18 AM.
11-02-2018, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #210
Veteran Member

Dont know if anyone is interested, but here's a little "feedback".

My new life with Canon, is making my days easier. Faster AF, no buffer issues, don't have to use separate camera for video, third party gear world is MUCH bigger + + +

BUT, when it comes to quality of the files out of camera, Pentax is a BIG step ahead of the rest. Thats something Pentax can and should be proud of. If AF and buffer etc become a bit better in the future (yes, Pentax has a future), there is nothing stopping them from competing with the big boys in the pro world
Thank you Kenspo for your quick feedback and positive words about pentax! If needed, it well underlines that there is no perfect gear / brand and that we all have to compromise.
Good that you enjoy your new Canon gear which makes your life easier, it was your main motive for switching brand.