Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 352 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2018, 04:42 AM - 5 Likes   #211
Veteran Member

If I could combine Mark IV with K-1 quality in files, it would be close to perfect!

I had to take a loss in high ISO and DR to have it easier totally. So it wasn't an easy choice. And I will always speak warm about Pentax and of course all the good people with one

11-02-2018, 05:03 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well the Nikon D850
11-02-2018, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #213
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Well the Nikon D850
On stills, yes..On video? Big no! No working AF on 4K..No stabilization..No peaking etc....
11-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Dont know if anyone is interested, but here's a little "feedback".

My new life with Canon, is making my days easier. Faster AF, no buffer issues, don't have to use separate camera for video, third party gear world is MUCH bigger + + +

BUT, when it comes to quality of the files out of camera, Pentax is a BIG step ahead of the rest. Thats something Pentax can and should be proud of. If AF and buffer etc become a bit better in the future (yes, Pentax has a future), there is nothing stopping them from competing with the big boys in the pro world
Thank you for this response.

btw: Are you comparing a FF Canon to K-1?

11-02-2018, 12:35 PM   #215
Pentaxian

He's using an EOS 5D, I believe.
11-02-2018, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Thank you for this response.

btw: Are you comparing a FF Canon to K-1?
Based on the last comment, Yes he is.
11-03-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Dont know if anyone is interested, but here's a little "feedback".

My new life with Canon, is making my days easier. Faster AF, no buffer issues, don't have to use separate camera for video, third party gear world is MUCH bigger + + +

BUT, when it comes to quality of the files out of camera, Pentax is a BIG step ahead of the rest. Thats something Pentax can and should be proud of. If AF and buffer etc become a bit better in the future (yes, Pentax has a future), there is nothing stopping them from competing with the big boys in the pro world
The problems with the AF and buffer have been beaten to death. The question is why have they not addressed these issues. PDAF is pretty ancient technology relatively speaking. Why do they lag behind even mirrorless systems at this point. A bigger buffer would not be that expensive. USB-C and better tethering should be standard on a flagship model.

In your opinion, why does Ricoh lag behind the rest of the industry on key technologies?

11-03-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #218
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The problems with the AF and buffer have been beaten to death. The question is why have they not addressed these issues. PDAF is pretty ancient technology relatively speaking. Why do they lag behind even mirrorless systems at this point. A bigger buffer would not be that expensive. USB-C and better tethering should be standard on a flagship model.

In your opinion, why does Ricoh lag behind the rest of the industry on key technologies?
Pentax doesn't develop their own chips, they wait until hardware becomes available and then try and catch up. It's a recipe for always being 5 years behind.

Pentax is committed to the no frills basic imaging system, field cameras". Why they do that would probably a matter of cost. Not enough bodies sold for custom chip development.
11-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #219
Pentaxian

The problems with the AF and buffer have been beaten to death. The question is why have they not addressed these issues.
Pentax don't need to address those issues, Sony A9 does the 20 frames per second and AF tracking very well for landscapes and family portraits.
11-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #220
Pentaxian

The problems with the AF and buffer have been beaten to death. The question is why have they not addressed these issues.
Kenspo's comment was rather general about the "buffer issues". The Canon 5Div is 7 fps, while the K-1 is just 4.4 fps; that difference - like the 4K issue - most likely is a processor issue rather than something that could be fixed by inserting different buffer hardware. I don't know what processors {and at what cost} are available to them.
11-03-2018, 10:57 AM   #221
Pentaxian

Isn't the buffer more about how long you can keep snapping before the camera stops? If I can go 7fps for 20 seconds vs 5 fps for 15 seconds I get the chance at 65 more frames.
11-03-2018, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #222
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Kenspo's comment was rather general about the "buffer issues". The Canon 5Div is 7 fps, while the K-1 is just 4.4 fps; that difference - like the 4K issue - most likely is a processor issue rather than something that could be fixed by inserting different buffer hardware. I don't know what processors {and at what cost} are available to them.
I'd say the fps is limited by the sensor and processor (we know the accelerator had a minor impact on the K-1 II's crop mode FPS), and the buffer is also limited by the processor (cannot use more than 1.5GB RAM with that Milbeaut - but I think Pentax is using a dual channel 1GB configuration). And the same Milbeaut integrates the USB and SD card controllers...
Indeed, there is no "they could just fix it"; a new generation of cameras is needed. Hopefully they're working on that.

Last edited by Kunzite; 11-03-2018 at 11:21 AM.
11-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #223
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Hopefully they're working on that.
And then some say that I would be pessimistic.......
11-04-2018, 04:30 AM   #224
Pentaxian

They are working on new cameras. Asahi man has already confirmed as much. I think they are full frame, but Kunzite doesn't believe anything until Ricoh says so.
11-04-2018, 04:55 AM   #225
Pentaxian

If I said "I believe they're working on it" you'd also have a snarky comment.