Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2019, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #301
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Im still around now and then..sorry guys (and girls)

Now it has been some time working with other types of gear. My days are MUCH easier now..I get access to a whole new world of third party gear..and video is a dream! I even have become ambassador for Rotolight now..would be impossible with Pentax as gear. And even though I'm in no form or shape are involved with Canon as a company, they still help and support me MUCH more then Ricoh ever did

BUT..There are still something that was better before...The sensor of K-1 and 645Z walks all over the Canons im using now...And the community? No one can compete with this one..So continue being such a great community of good people Got to admit I miss you

Stay safe everyone and keep on shooting!!
Good for you !
All the best in your new ventures.

03-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #302
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
The way it is now, Pentax under Ricoh has drifted towards a high IQ slow stills system exclusively.
QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Chris this might change with the introduction of a K-3 replacement. AFAIK this is going to happen until the end of 2019. On the meantime of course Nikon might have released the 500PF the 760 or even a D500 upgrade, but this is the Pentax pace and philosophy (not irrational for a small, high quality company but also not convenient for many photographers, that's true).
Pentax has given no reason to think that the issues important to Chris will change. I don't believe that they have "drifted towards a high IQ system" - I believe this is a part of their strategy. Nikon put real effort into getting strong AF {they have a separate processor for that}; Pentax put real effort into getting graceful high ISO {they have a separate processor for that}, and every comparison I have seen puts the KP as better than the D500 in that at one-half the price.
03-12-2019, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #303
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax has given no reason to think that the issues important to Chris will change. I don't believe that they have "drifted towards a high IQ system" - I believe this is a part of their strategy. Nikon put real effort into getting strong AF {they have a separate processor for that}; Pentax put real effort into getting graceful high ISO {they have a separate processor for that}, and every comparison I have seen puts the KP as better than the D500 in that at one-half the price.
You are right in a way, Pentax has to profile itself to an extent and the KP was clearly part of that. I used to value IQ highly, and of course I still do, but other things have become increasingly important. So for me things took a turn, whilst others may be very happy with their KP, or if shooting fullframe, their K1mkII.

You may be surprised to hear that I cancelled my pre-order for the Nikon D500 (thé best APS birding body) and the 500PF, in part because supply of the 500PF is really dramatic and will remain so for a good while. Not to return to Pentax though. I decided to invest in a top end lens that suits me, portable, versatile and high IQ, and take the camera for what it is, for now. Because the future of camera bodies is being made, I wanted to put what funds I have towards a lens that will be seeing quite a few bodies over the coming years I suppose. I went with a Canon 400DOII and both 1.4 and 2.0 converters, and took the 7DII in a bundle only costing 639,-. It will in future need a 1DXmkII type mirrorless body (a la Sony A9) to really shine though, so it's a leap of faith.

No doubt Pentax will put out a very good, and in many ways much better than the aging 7DII, APS-c body somewhere next year.

Chris
03-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #304
Veteran Member

I looked at the 7DII and 400mm DO II but in the end picked up a mint used D500 and have paired it up with a Sigma 500mm f/4 sport and converters.

Have to say it is a fabulous combo and the AF speed is exceptional ..... no way am I getting rid of my K-1 and 150-450mm though, infact apart from the odd occasions I need the AF speed the Nikon will stay at home.

03-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #305
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I looked at the 7DII and 400mm DO II but in the end picked up a mint used D500 and have paired it up with a Sigma 500mm f/4 sport and converters.

Have to say it is a fabulous combo and the AF speed is exceptional ..... no way am I getting rid of my K-1 and 150-450mm though, infact apart from the odd occasions I need the AF speed the Nikon will stay at home.
It's the weight and size that made me favour the Canon. I did consider the Sigma, but the weight and size put me off it, as I mainly hike and cycle. And the Canon 400/4 duplicates my DA560 at 560mm and f5.6, but at a much smaller size and lighter weight.

Just curious: apart from the difference in reach, what makes you favor the Pentax kit to the D500/sigma 500?

Chris
03-13-2019, 12:57 AM - 2 Likes   #306
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Maybe or maybe not. When the K-3 was released Pentax had come up with one of the best APS-C bodies in the market even better than most sport oriented alternatives from Canonikon in terms of FPS and buffer. If you read Nikon fora from that era many wildlife shooters were talking about the Pentax APS-C dedication and were praising the K-3 & DFA 150-450 combo as very tempting to jumb ship (yes the same discussions are held in every forum!!!). There is no reason Pentax could not come up with a new APS-C that will be sitting next to the best sport cameras of the category once more. It won't have the D500 AF-C performance most probably but OTOH it will offer better high ISO and IQ in an attractive fast body once more I believe. As Chris said and I also believe it will be a better camera than the Canon 7DII in total. Moreover, if they still utilize Pixel Shift and maybe an even better handheld dynamic shift that offer higher IQ this may be of more importance to many of us than other features from other companies.

In order to sum up my thoughts, I don't know if Pentax is capable of offering the D5 or 1D mkIV AF performance in her cameras, but that would make the K-1 a 4000+€ body so I wouldn't own and enjoy a K-1 as I do today... It would not interest me whether Pentax can offer the same AF-C performance and a top notch sport body if I couldn't buy it, on the contrary to many people who write in here. They seem to forget that we want to take pictures that's why we also write in PFs. If you need the D5/D500 features and the primes that can match and benefit from it, you are already covered! Buy into Nikon, Canon or the latest Sony. It's pointless to buy Olympus equipment NOW and expect them to go FF! You have made a wrong choice. The same goes for Fuji and FF too.

What most of us would love is a K-1 with the speed of the D5 or D850, the IQ and features of the K-1 and also 8K video with Panasonic features and this whole packet in the today's K-1 price (it would be better if they could drop the price closer to $1000). Keep on dreaming and keep on whining! You know from the time you thought about it that there is no way this can happen... there was no need to write it down in the first place. It's pointless. A good start to make things better in here would be those who make suggestions or express their opinions on what Pentax should release next to also include the price they are willing to pay for such equipment. @Chris Mak, @Mike.P and others have shown they are serious about what they want because they have paid to get it. I'm sure they would have paid the same money for a K-500II (the D500 killer I mean) with a DFA* 500PF if Pentax would offer it. From others I read only theoritical texts on what I personally would love Pentax would offer, I know it would probably cost a fortune (but Pentax somehow would make it for $500) and until then I'm shooting with my 1st and a $15 bargain K lens. Sorry but I can't read you any more or take you seriously.

Disclaimer: I'm not attacking anyone specifically, I'm only attacking a wrong mentality here that has tired me a lot.

Last edited by redpit; 03-13-2019 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Too many mistakes. Some corrected...
06-12-2020, 01:06 AM - 34 Likes   #307
Veteran Member

Hi all!

Just dropped to say hi! Miss you guys, well most of you! haha

It has been a strange journey after I left Pentax. I first jumped to Canon..It was much to love with the 5D mark iv..It became a new world to me with the AF, video etc But got to say, that while most things was a upgrade for me, the sensor on K-1 destroy the Canon one. I did edit my pics like I always used to..But I couldn't..Because the Canon sensor would just fall apart. Horrible when lifting shadows, Noise etc compared to K-1. So I had to rethink the way I did work, because I had to be much more spot on with my settings all the time. K-1 was much more forgiving in that area. So I was a bit spoiled All this made feel not so happy as I thought I would be..

But luckily for me, the people behind Pentax (Focus Nordic) also have Tamron, Samyang and Zeiss in their lists..That made it possible for me to switch again! To Sony this time (after saying no to Panasonic) and that was the perfect world for me..The size, speed, weight + +

So all is good..mostly..I got to admit im so careful with my gear now..Because the small mirrorless cameras is nowhere near as rugged as K-1. When using K-1, I didn't care what you threw at me..I knew I could trust my gear... So there is so much to love with the K-1!!

So after using Canon, testing Panasonic and ended up with Sony, I have come to this conclusion:

When it comes to the sensor, picture quality, build quality and the quality of the glass etc, Pentax is up there amongst the best in the world! No doubt. But at the same time, it makes me sad to know what they could have been if they only made the AF, fps, buffer etc a bit better..They would rule
But I have a very soft spot for Pentax and I really hope they keep staying around for many years...

Sorry for this long post But I really hope you all are good and staying safe in the state we are in at the moment.

06-12-2020, 01:19 AM   #308
Pentaxian

Curious to know, kenspo, what are you favourite primes on the sony system?
06-12-2020, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
Curious to know, kenspo, what are you favourite primes on the sony system?
Batis 25 F/2 and Samyang 14mm F/2.8

Samyang 35 and 85 F/1.4 are very good too!
06-12-2020, 01:27 AM   #310

Sorry for this long post But I really hope you all are good and staying safe in the state we are in at the moment.
It's been a while since we heard from you so naturally it takes a little longer to catch up. Good to hear from you and also your experiences with Canon and Sony.
06-12-2020, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #311
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It's been a while since we heard from you so naturally it takes a little longer to catch up.
Will try to swing by a bit more often I still have my old Pentax film camera
06-12-2020, 02:07 AM   #312

Will try to swing by a bit more often I still have my old Pentax film camera
Nobody wanted to buy it? :-D

I guess I'll get the D-FA*85 in a few months so if you are really nice you can try it. I agree with you regarding the sensor on K-1. It is still amazing. As you know I'm too slow to care about AF and fps.
06-12-2020, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #313
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your insights in to other gear from your particular perspective are very interesting - thank you! It's clear Ricoh are working on the AF, but whether they can catch a moving target to up for debate - we'll have to see how much progress the new APS-C makes. There will come a time, I guess, when AF can't improve much without so much investment that it wouldn't be commercially viable to implement it, and that will give Pentax a chance to catch up a little more - but whether the sensors will be optimised for ML by then or whether Pentax can even weather the ML storm is all up in the air. But good to hear from you - please do keep checking back - what you have to say is valuable, as well as always being nice to to hear from old friends

Last edited by ffking; 06-12-2020 at 02:12 AM. Reason: keyboard deterioration
06-12-2020, 02:15 AM - 1 Like   #314
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DagT Quote
Nobody wanted to buy it? :-D

I guess I'll get the D-FA*85 in a few months so if you are really nice you can try it. I agree with you regarding the sensor on K-1. It is still amazing. As you know I'm too slow to care about AF and fps.
Its too beautiful and looks good in my office Yes, I know..It works good for you, and I wouldn't switch if I did take same type of photography

---------- Post added 06-12-20 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Your insights in to other gear from your particular perspective are very interesting - thank you! It's clear Ricoh are working on the AF, but whether they can catch a moving target to up for debate - we'll have to see how much progress the new APS-C makes. There will come a time, I guess, when AF can't improve much without so much investment that it wouldn't be commercially viable to implement it, and that will give Pentax a chance to catch up a little more - but whether the sensors will be optimised for ML by then or whether Pentax can even weather the ML storm is all up in the air. But good to hear from you - please do keep checking back - what you have to say is valuable, as well as always being nice to to hear from old friends

Thank you for the kind words I will for sure pop by a bit more often this time!

It will be exciting to see the new APS-C..I think that will say a lot about the vision for the future. The door to get in to compete with the big ones was very big around the K-1 release..They didn't pull the trigger then. It is still not too late to enter the more serious approach (reaching pros etc), but the door is closing more and more. I think Ricoh can still survive a while on dslr due to the quality..But in the long run, they have to either start thinking new or enter the mirrorless world. They could build further on the GR tech they have..I think just that could be the hallelujah from Ricoh
06-12-2020, 02:59 AM   #315
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi all!

Just dropped to say hi! Miss you guys, well most of you! haha
Very nice to hear from you, and what you have been up to. Hopefully your work hasn't been too impacted by the virus, and you are keeping safe and well.