Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
It's still too early to be disapointed or not IMHO. Let's wait for the official announcement. Now to be frank, from all the leaks, I'm not very excited by the new products. 60-250/4 too late too expensive, K-m, good but not what I want, ring-flash, ok but not really needed, technological progress in years...
don't blow off the ring flash. that is absolutely mission critical for
macro photography. Hopefully it actually works.

If the KM can be as competent and successful as the K1000
Pentax has it made.

09-21-2008, 09:38 PM   #32
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Like I said I totally agree with you!

Regards,
Radu
Where is SR switch on body of K-m?
09-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #33
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I'd like to see where Pentax goes.
But I don't understand it now.
09-21-2008, 10:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Where is SR switch on body of K-m?
They probably moved it to the menu. To be honest, I think many people don't turn SR on and off all that much...

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl:
I'd like to see where Pentax goes. But I don't understand it now.
It's pretty simple - I recall reading in an interview the target market for the K10 was existing Pentax users in the older age brackets. They just plain *need* to get people in the ground floor. I'm 23, and I chose my Pentax after some research, and talking with my father about camera brands (he is a Pentax user from way back). I had to practically fight a salesperson to buy my K100 (they were dead set on selling me a D40). They need to get the brand into the minds of a new generation, or they'll lose their brand image forever.

A "Pro" camera won't do this - market volumes are too low. Before they can sell a pro camera they need a userbase to sell it to!

Last edited by cpopham; 09-21-2008 at 10:43 PM.
09-21-2008, 10:28 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Dissapointment.

I was interested in DA* 60-250mm f/4. But not for this price.
Ringflash - I don't need it.
DA* 55mm - very expensive and I don't need it, I already have FA 43mm and 77mm.
DA 15mm Ltd... That may be interesting. I'm very afraid that price will be very high... It's a recent Pentax trend to overprice it's products.
K-m. I don't need it.

And worst thing is that I can't see that any of the announced products will be sold in high volumes. Many say that K-m is a great camera for people coming from P&S and millions will be sold... I don't think so.

Two things: AA batteries and no LiveView. People coming from P&S want LiveView and LiIon batteries. They won't care about features like Wireless flash, Mirror lockup etc. K-m doesn't look for me like camera for masses. It looks more like travel camera (together with pancake primes) for existing Pentax users...
09-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Two things: AA batteries and no LiveView. People coming from P&S want LiveView and LiIon batteries.
Just to play devil's advocate: when my parents' old digital P&S died (it used LiIons), one of their stipulations was that their new camera use AA batteries. Seems the LiIon would always die at the wrong moments because they forgot to recharge it, and buying a second battery didn't feel right to them (worries about loss of a more-expensive battery, wondering which battery was charged, etc). Now they can grab AA batteries anywhere when they die, and usually carry a spare set because they're cheap and easy to find.

Not saying LiIon isn't a better way to go in many ways (I certainly never want to have to use AAs again), but I think the idea that the mass market consumer is going to find AA batteries a turnoff is flat-out wrong.

Will
09-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As for me -
Pentax announcement before Photokina is some kind of disappointment.
We had been waiting for DA*60-250/4 for 2.5 year. Fantastic price. 1300 euro.
New kit lenses with plastic bayonet - who cares about it.
DA15/4 will be only close to summer, 2009.:ugh:
Ring-flash is rather special.

I like Pentax K-m...But I don't need it.
DA*55/1.4 is ONLY good news now.

No information about DA*30.
No new lenses in roadmap AT ALL, except abstract super telephoto.
No K20D's upgrade. No FF developement's announcement.

Post your opinion.
Don't worry, good stuffs worth the wait... I have been waiting for at least a decade. It was the MZ-1 back then, K20D successor not long ago, and FF DSLR now. Thank god I have dragged myself back to reality and know what to expect from Pentax. Just take what they offer now, and don't fantasize too much.

09-21-2008, 11:10 PM   #38

Photos: Gallery
Nothing wrong with AA's in a camera. another main reason I bought my *istDS back a number of years ago was that it took AA's (which I thought was really cool and handy for travelling).

As for the announcements, yeah well seems like a good plan. Aim for the entry level market where the mass buyers are. Hopefully they follow up the announcement with some *MAJOR* marketting campaigns, especially in Australia where Canikon are so dominant in most stores.
09-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #39

They could run an ad showing a group of tourists on a tour in the bush, with no electricity. After 2-3 days of shooting the batteries die. The Pentax user just walks up to a tribesman and asks for batteries and voila! Off they go shooting again.
09-21-2008, 11:46 PM   #40
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
They probably moved it to the menu. To be honest, I think many people don't turn SR on and off all that much...
SR MUST BE SWITCH ON only when it's necessary.
If you make photos with SR SWITCH ON in normal condition, you can easy get blurred pictures.

Do you understand it? You can read it in manual.
09-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
SR MUST BE SWITCH ON only when it's necessary.
If you make photos with SR SWITCH ON in normal condition, you can easy get blurred pictures.

LOL
That one is funny...
09-22-2008, 12:28 AM   #42
Forum Member

You can read it in manual.
Not the k20D manual. Not that I could find, at any rate. It warns only that SR should be turned off when using a tripod.

Will
09-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #43
Inactive Account

Whatever they do announce, or don't... it won't change anything for me. I am completely happy with my choices and what I have.
Although, I am very happy about the K-m, I know many people who would very well suite to this camera, the new f/1.4 is also pretty much sweet, gotta get one, as is the 15mm
09-22-2008, 01:49 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Which manual? The only thing the K100D Super manual has to say about not using Shake Reduction is this:

QuoteOriginally posted by K100D Manual:
Do not use the Shake Reduction function when using the camera on a tripod
And from a Pentax FAQ about SR:

QuoteQuote:
What is the purpose of the Shake Reduction (SR) system's on/off switch?
To allow the user to select SR according to shooting conditions such as when the camera is fixed on a tripod, deliberate shooting for image blur, and conditions where camera shake other than by hand is expected.
FAQ is here:
http://www.pentaxslr.com/files/scms_docs//PENTAX_SR_Description_091506.pdf

Last edited by cpopham; 09-22-2008 at 01:57 AM.
09-22-2008, 01:50 AM   #45
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
LOL
That one is funny...
See page 68 of manual of K200d.

There are also statistics of users that SR can cause blur in normal condition.
Attached Images