Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 12:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ewalk Quote
It does have a faster (listed) FPS...
just because I guess they run out of old DRAM and it was more expensive to slow it down ...

09-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think the new products are quite exciting, for sure.

I mean, what would you rather buy? A DA* 60-250 f/4, or a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and the Pentax 1.4 teleconverter?

I'd go for the latter myself.
09-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
just because I guess they run out of old DRAM and it was more expensive to slow it down ...
So why wouldn't that be the same case for other things? The other cameras will be right behind with new features.
09-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

No information about DA*30.

Post your opinion.
Possibly (we'll have to see with the official announcements. 2 reasons why:

1) The FA 31mm Ltd sells at a high margin and still moves. A DA*30 would cannibalize sales there, but demand for the FA Ltd would still necessitate running 2 assemblies. Sometimes it is better to stall a release.

2) The same cannibalization argument goes for the 35mm Macro. It's adept at nearly the same focal length, so there is duplication.

With slowing economies slowing development and making the most out of sunk costs is a good strategy. Pentax has 2 excellent 30-35mm prime lenses available right now.

Just a thought as my marketing gene kicks in.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 09-21-2008 at 04:38 PM.
09-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

For me, this set of releases is confirmation that the future of Pentax looks bright. Under the new management they are cutting back in low profit segments (e.g. P&S) and diverting the resources to work on SLRs.

And for perhaps the first time, they're genuinely releasing an SLR squarely aimed at the mass market.

Look at it this way - if they can sell the K-M in volume, even if most of the buyers will never buy another Pentax accessory (as I imagine it is with the D40) - they're still making money, and widening the exposure of the brand.

How can that be a bad thing?

More users coming in at the bottom still means more users making their way upmarket. Which might make the case for the Pro body you guys seem to be clamouring for....
09-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #21
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
For me, this set of releases is confirmation that the future of Pentax looks bright. Under the new management they are cutting back in low profit segments (e.g. P&S) and diverting the resources to work on SLRs.

100% agreed

And for perhaps the first time, they're genuinely releasing an SLR squarely aimed at the mass market.

101% agreed

Look at it this way - if they can sell the K-M in volume, even if most of the buyers will never buy another Pentax accessory (as I imagine it is with the D40) - they're still making money, and widening the exposure of the brand.

I started with a k100D + kit lens in December 2006. A glance in my signature will prove you right AGAIN!

How can that be a bad thing?

I wonder too ...

More users coming in at the bottom still means more users making their way upmarket. Which might make the case for the Pro body you guys seem to be clamouring for....

Also a percentage of pentaxians with cameras based on 6Mp could buy the K-m and further increase the awareness in Pentax brand by selling their old cameras to other begginer users.
Like I said I totally agree with you!

Regards,
Radu
09-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #22

Since I like nature and macro I love the ringflash.. but I am still not sure which Macro lens I should buy.. if there was a Sigma 150mm f2.8 I would buy that one!

The TC is good news, but just 1.4x.. 1.7 would be better!

09-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #23

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote

I am a new DSLR owner. I opted to buy a used K100D because of its quality reputation and its price. The K200D has a higher price than I could afford.

If there are many like me in the market, a quality body with functions close to the K200D at a lower price would be very much welcome and do Pentax a lot of good.

IMHO
09-21-2008, 05:18 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm defintely interested in the ringflash. I'm actually content with the lenses I have--and I can barely believe I said that--but I think new lenses are good for Pentax as people point to the lens lineup as a shortcoming. Anything that brings new users into the fold has to be good.

Last edited by Buffy; 09-21-2008 at 06:31 PM.
09-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Disappointment? Admiration?......more like ambivelence (sp?).

When the 15mm f/4 comes out, I'll look at that as a possible replacement for my 14mm but in the grand scheme of things, there's nothing there that would enhance my kit.

On the flip-side, in spite of the fact there's nothing there that I need, the K-m will be good for the brand - and that counts for a lot.
09-21-2008, 05:35 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I think the new products are quite exciting, for sure.

I mean, what would you rather buy? A DA* 60-250 f/4, or a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and the Pentax 1.4 teleconverter?

I'd go for the latter myself.
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Completing my "on assignment" kit which will include the Pentax 12-24, Tamron 28-75, and 70-200 w/ either the Tamron or Pentax teleconverter, which ever I can get my hands on first...
09-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
So why wouldn't that be the same case for other things? The other cameras will be right behind with new features.
because AF module and shutter are much more serious things that just dram chips (dozen a dime from Samsung)... so to move to better AF (think "<= F2.8" optimized sensors for example), 5 FPS or 1/8000 is not that easy vs marginal increase in FPS from better memory...
09-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Like I said I totally agree with you!
Thanks for the kind words

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
I started with a k100D + kit lens in December 2006. A glance in my signature will prove you right AGAIN!
I started with a K100D Super in October 2007... so far I've managed to hold out but those DA* zooms and a K20 are calling to me...
09-21-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

If this is all they announce i'll be disappointed... However I do see where they are heading and for the future health of Pentax I think it's a good road to go to.
09-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
If this is all they announce i'll be disappointed... However I do see where they are heading and for the future health of Pentax I think it's a good road to go to.
I feel the same way. I'm not at all concerned about the road they've chosen, I just hope we'll be seeing a bit more of that road. Not a single new lens on the roadmap? Not even a Pentax version of the 11-16 2.8? The 15 and 55 being more than six months away?

I guess I'm just accustomed to knowing about Pentax's lens plans well in advance, and if they're changing that strategy it means we're in for a long time between announcements.

Dying for the 15 and for more details on it,

Will