Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Have we seen everthing that Pentax is going to show or is there more to come from photokina?

09-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #62
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Supernaut Quote
Have we seen everthing that Pentax is going to show or is there more to come from photokina?
unfortunately i think that is all from Pentax. I hoped for a FF body or at least a K30D or something like that..instead of this all we got is a low end model
09-22-2008, 06:47 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kalpaha Quote
I'd love that on my K10D. It happens far too often that I toggle the SR off by accident.
A little gaffers should take care of the issue for you.

Thank you
Russell
09-22-2008, 07:30 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Wait for Samsung, also. They might come with something different (more),... or might not.

09-22-2008, 07:36 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
There are also statistics of users that SR can cause blur in normal condition.
I don't think it makes sense to design a product feature that needs interpretation by the user with the technology available today. The camera has the information about focal length, metered light, and the settings of the camera. If Pentax didn't provide the logic in the software to be able to modify the amount of shake reduction needed for the settings of the camera when it has all this, it would be a very poor implementation, in my opinion.

The magnetic fields are on all the time, when SR is "off" the camera simply maintains static fields. The only place the logic would break down is when the camera is mounted on a tripod as the camera has no way of knowing when it is or isn't on a tripod. It just seems logical that this is what is being said in the manuals.

I can't see any logic in not having the camera know that it can or can't respond fast enough to a shutter speed and adjusting the magnetic fields accordingly, can you? I would also assume there is a shutter speed where SR just can't keep up, and at that point assume the camera just moves the sensor into the static position. Wouldn't that be the smart thing to do? Why would you need or want the user to have to interpret this when there is no magic needed?

I will say, if it is true for you that SR off works better, then that all that counts. For me, an old guy with wet spaghetti for arms, SR off and hand held doesn't work, so I leave it on.

Thank you
Russell
09-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
Wait for Samsung, also. They might come with something different (more),... or might not.
I would be surprised if Samsung offered any camera with a Sony sensor in it anymore. For that matter I would be surprised if they would even allow another brand of memory, LCD, ...

If the cooperation of Pentax and Samsung continues, I would imagine that by next year, Pentax will not offer any camera without a Samsung sensor and what not.

Thank you
Russell
09-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If this everything then I'm a bit disappointed. They haven't announced anything that I really need. The new 55mm lens looks nice, but it really doesn't offer me anything I cant do with the current $200 50mm. SDM & weather sealing are nice, but that won't make my photos any better.

The 60-250mm is a wonderful lens, but it's not exactly "news" at this point. How long have we known about it now?

The K-M/2000 looks like a fine entry level camera, but outside of SR I don't see what will convince people to buy it over the Nikon D40/D60...and Nikon beat them to the punch (and the store shelves) by oh.....3 years? I am glad to see they finally made the operating system look better though. The Pentax menu system looks like it's been beat over the head with an ugly stick.

I was really hoping for something innovative, but all I see is Pentax playing catch up to Canikon. I really wanted to see a digital version of the Pentax Auto 110 or a sub $2000 FF camera.

09-22-2008, 08:04 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I would be surprised if Samsung offered any camera with a Sony sensor in it anymore. For that matter I would be surprised if they would even allow another brand of memory, LCD, ...
I wouldn't. All these huge companies use their own stuff when it's to their advantage, but find other suppliers when there's something cheaper or more readily available.
09-22-2008, 08:13 AM   #69
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
If this everything then I'm a bit disappointed. They haven't announced anything that I really need. The new 55mm lens looks nice, but it really doesn't offer me anything I cant do with the current $200 50mm. SDM & weather sealing are nice, but that won't make my photos any better.

The 60-250mm is a wonderful lens, but it's not exactly "news" at this point. How long have we known about it now?

The K-M/2000 looks like a fine entry level camera, but outside of SR I don't see what will convince people to buy it over the Nikon D40/D60...and Nikon beat them to the punch (and the store shelves) by oh.....3 years? I am glad to see they finally made the operating system look better though. The Pentax menu system looks like it's been beat over the head with an ugly stick.

I was really hoping for something innovative, but all I see is Pentax playing catch up to Canikon. I really wanted to see a digital version of the Pentax Auto 110 or a sub $2000 FF camera.
If Photokina couldn't answer questions......
09-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote

If it (K-m) gets more people to invest in Pentax, I'm all for it. I can wait still for a pro-level body. I sure as hell wouldn't want Pentax to become something like Leica, where only the most well-heeled or working pros can afford.

In any case, you have the mFT system to gloss over. I'll be keeping an eye on that, too.

I'm sure there would be announcements from Hoya regarding their general direction for Pentax, as well. And Samsung hasn't shown anything yet (either they have an uber-announcement, or they have nothing to show at all).

It's much too early to be disappointed. Photokina hasn't even started yet.
09-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #71
Inactive Account

Very disappointed - no FF plan so far! No FF lenses. No 645D news.
Nothing interesting on the roadmap. The new DA* are for crop image circle.
Pentax is way behind C&N
09-22-2008, 09:44 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by huqedato Quote
Very disappointed - no FF plan so far! No FF lenses. No 645D news.
Nothing interesting on the roadmap. The new DA* are for crop image circle.
Pentax is way behind C&N
Aside from the 645D (which I'm not really interested in), I couldn't agree more! Hopefully they'll at least have something "under glass" when the show opens...
09-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #73
Forum Member

Is k-m, 60-250, 55, 15, "L", ringflash and teleconverter the only things that are going to be announced? Can I have hope to wait till 28 to see if there will be at least one more announcement?

I really wanted them to announce a flash unit (non ring) and 11-16*.

I need flash and wide zoom, so I guess I'll have to buy 12-24 and some crappy flash =(.
09-22-2008, 09:53 AM   #74
cyg

Not disappointed but a bit puzzled by the Km/K2000.

* The double name: it's been done before obviously, but is it a smart move?

* Pricing/availability: 700$ for the only kit mentioned: body+lens+flash. Double kit available in January.

What? Are they going through the Xmas season with only one somewhat-odd kit available?

I certainly hope they come up with some other options before January...
09-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #75
Veteran Member

How is the kit "somewhat odd"? That's the lens kit a lot of us started with when we got into DSLRs (mine was a K10D and the two kit lenses).