Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #76
cyg

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
How is the kit "somewhat odd"? That's the lens kit a lot of us started with when we got into DSLRs (mine was a K10D and the two kit lenses).
"somewhat odd" because this "kit" includes body, lens _and_ flash.

At least that's the only one that appears on the US announcement I have seen...

Nothing wrong with the lens itself, that's also the one I got...

09-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vinzer Quote
If it (K-m) gets more people to invest in Pentax, I'm all for it. I can wait still for a pro-level body. I sure as hell wouldn't want Pentax to become something like Leica, where only the most well-heeled or working pros can afford.

In any case, you have the mFT system to gloss over. I'll be keeping an eye on that, too.
Only problem is I just don't see the K2000 bringing many people in. Perhaps outside of the US, but unless they can get on the shelves at Best Buy here in the US I don't see this camera ever reaching it's target audience.

I'd just like to see Pentax just go make a pocket APS-C camera now to remind everyone that yes, Pentax is still in business...not 5 years down the road after everyone else starts doing it. This me too game of theirs just doesn't do a whole lot to excite me. However a niche like Panasonic is about to carve out with the G1 does. If they don't do something different they will continue to be ignored. Seriously, what exactly makes the K2000 stand out from the D60 or Rebel Xti?
09-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #78
Veteran Member

K2000D and AF ??

If you haven't, please see:

Pentax K-m Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

and

Entry-level Pentax K2000 announced

If I were moving to a DSLR now, instead of a year ago, I might go this route. I'm not giving up my K10D yet, but ....

The latter article claims that the K2000D has improved auto focusing in low light.

May I please get that enhancement on my K10D? Please ????? I spent a pile of money and I'm still muttering to myself while trying (with limited success) to capture the twins (girls, 10 weeks) without turning on all the room's lights.

They'll be going to prom before I figure this out.

Does anyone think that this SW mod could be made available for existing cameras or is it more likely that the blobby nature of Pentax SW makes it hard for enhancements to be backward compatible? Perhaps better AF in low light is somehow hardwired, metaphorically speaking, to the smaller number of AF spots.

In all seriousness, I'm tempted to shelve or sell the K10D so I can take photos in my own home without studio lighting.

Or maybe I should send the K10D back to Pentax before crying foul? It hunts and chatters and fails even at midday outdoors if I'm shooting in deep shade.

Any info on the K2000D's autofocus would be welcome!
09-22-2008, 11:50 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote

If you haven't, please see:

Pentax K-m Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

and

Entry-level Pentax K2000 announced

If I were moving to a DSLR now, instead of a year ago, I might go this route. I'm not giving up my K10D yet, but ....

The latter article claims that the K2000D has improved auto focusing in low light.

May I please get that enhancement on my K10D? Please ????? I spent a pile of money and I'm still muttering to myself while trying (with limited success) to capture the twins (girls, 10 weeks) without turning on all the room's lights.

They'll be going to prom before I figure this out.

Does anyone think that this SW mod could be made available for existing cameras or is it more likely that the blobby nature of Pentax SW makes it hard for enhancements to be backward compatible? Perhaps better AF in low light is somehow hardwired, metaphorically speaking, to the smaller number of AF spots.

In all seriousness, I'm tempted to shelve or sell the K10D so I can take photos in my own home without studio lighting.

Or maybe I should send the K10D back to Pentax before crying foul? It hunts and chatters and fails even at midday outdoors if I'm shooting in deep shade.

Any info on the K2000D's autofocus would be welcome!

Everyone knows the K10D is not a great high ISO performer, you're using the wrong camera. A K20D would do much better, but it would be even better if you used a flash. Photogs have been taking indoor pictures for decades, guess what they used?

09-22-2008, 12:06 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pana G1??

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
However a niche like Panasonic is about to carve out with the G1 does. If they don't do something different they will continue to be ignored. Seriously, what exactly makes the K2000 stand out from the D60 or Rebel Xti?
It would be me too if we had a Micro K-Mount...
Ofcourse once you start into that you'd have to stay there, no way the Micro-K would fit on a K20D
09-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
glanglois:
When you're in a dim room, raise the popup flash. It's used as an AF assist light. A couple of bzzt bzzt blinks and I'm locked as long as the subject's not moving around like crazy.
Also, what lens are you using? The kit lens is a bit slow. A 2.8 lens is better. My Sigma 17-70 also does pretty well in low light.

On the subject of the K-m: I'm surprised it doesn't have weathersealing so Pentax would be known as the "camera in the rain" company...they dumped all of their P&S cams except the submersible Wxx line, so it seemed they were headed that way. With only 5 focus points, I'd guess that the improved low-light performance is related to whatever they're using for AF now...
09-22-2008, 12:22 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Got it

QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
"somewhat odd" because this "kit" includes body, lens _and_ flash.

At least that's the only one that appears on the US announcement I have seen...

Nothing wrong with the lens itself, that's also the one I got...
Okay, didn't know they were packaging the flash with the kit. That is different.

09-22-2008, 12:39 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
glanglois:
When you're in a dim room, raise the popup flash. It's used as an AF assist light. A couple of bzzt bzzt blinks and I'm locked as long as the subject's not moving around like crazy.
Never worked well for me, just don't waste time trying anymore. If it can't AF, I just let it go. Besides, I don't like that flashing right in front of people, annoy me to no end, and I bet most people won't appreciate it either. :ugh:
09-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #84
Veteran Member

If the pictures come out great you'll see that the people are lot less annoyed after
09-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Never worked well for me, just don't waste time trying anymore. If it can't AF, I just let it go. Besides, I don't like that flashing right in front of people, annoy me to no end, and I bet most people won't appreciate it either. :ugh:
Get an external flash and use it in sb mode only. It will use the assist lamp without firing the flash. It's very effective and much less annoying than short flash strobes (and less demanding on the battery too).
09-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
If the pictures come out great you'll see that the people are lot less annoyed after
That will depend. If the environment was so dark it need that freaking AF assist and I had no alternative, I already know that the picture will come out ugly with harsh flash look and dark unknown background. I would not even bother to take the shot because it will be trashed anyway.
09-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Ricardo,

I do recall that photographers sometimes use a flash device of some sort. I also recall using Sylvania Blue Dot (TM) flashbulbs myself. I'm quite likely to be ignorant but commonly avoid stupid.

I was hoping for a somewhat more helpful tone, but you've a good question.

In answer to this and others, I am using:

K10D generally set at ISO 200 (for use with flash), P mode, and AF-S with center spot focus.
Sigma 17-70 (owing to the F/2.8 - at least I got that right)
Metz MZ-4 with 3702 M2 adaptor (usually bounce mode) or ...
Built-in popup flash.

Please note that I'm not having exposure problems, just a lot of whirring back and forth with the Sigma as well as a Tamron 18-250. The Tamron does this even when I'm trying to shoot birds at our feeder in an area of medium to bright shade.

As my sig indicates, I'm still working to achieve beginner status. Did I miss something big here? This camera has always struggled in very low light, even with the popup firing away at night. I've a devil of a time shooting the Guy Fawkes night bonfire prior to the official ignition.

Perhaps I'm not getting the AF assist with the Metz. I've ordered a manual. Instructions sometimes help. Maybe I've somehow disabled AF-assist flash with the popup. I might even have my finger over something important.

And I probably should move this to its own thread in another forum.

I am still wondering, though, about the allegedly-improved low-light focus of the K2000D with the same SAVOX VIII software. Anyone with ideas about that?
09-22-2008, 05:25 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
That will depend. If the environment was so dark it need that freaking AF assist and I had no alternative, I already know that the picture will come out ugly with harsh flash look and dark unknown background. I would not even bother to take the shot because it will be trashed anyway.
Well, that's a practical take on things.
09-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
Only problem is I just don't see the K2000 bringing many people in. ... Seriously, what exactly makes the K2000 stand out from the D60 or Rebel Xti?
I have to disagree. Having an entry-level DSLR camera is essential to gaining new customers.

On the one hand, I can see where if you buy a DSLR and hate it for some reason, e.g. build quality, you'd switch brands.

On the other hand, if you buy a DSLR and love it and want more, you're apt to stay with that brand. You already have some glass, perhaps a flash--it makes sense to upgrade within the brand.

Either way, unless you have ridiculous discretionary income, your first DSLR probably isn't going to be a C*non 1Ds Mk III or Nik*n D3, it's probably going to be an XTi or D40/D60, and that's where Pentax needs to have a competing camera.

I just hope Pentax is aggressive about getting it on store shelves or it could be all for naught.
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Two things: AA batteries and no LiveView.
I have traveled extensively throughout developing countries and two things I need are 1) AA battery capability and 2) no liveview so to save on power consumption and for bright outdoor conditions. Also, the SD card did it for me... thus I ended up with the K100DS.