09-22-2008, 11:46 PM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
20 gramm lighter....
So, it is the weight that even one AA Rechargeable battery just more than! :-(
09-22-2008, 11:49 PM   #108
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Samsung will not be with them anymore, they will go alone to build the Micro 4-3 competitior model.
that doesn't mean that samsung wont work with pentax on sensor development for its cameras... you really think you know everything don't you rice?
09-23-2008, 12:04 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that doesn't mean that samsung wont work with pentax on sensor development for its cameras... you really think you know everything don't you rice?
So, Why Samsung announced the development by themselves *alone*?

09-23-2008, 12:23 AM   #110
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote

umm maybe because Pentax has nothing to do with micro four thirds?

just because samsung is going a different route with its own cameras to mark a distinction doesn't mean that samsung and pentax wont work together on sensors... jesus man do yoyu now how to do anything other than jump to unfounded conclusions? you make me so sick sometimes...
09-23-2008, 12:37 AM   #111
ibk
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
And this is the official answer:

- Is the Samsung announced camera targeted for 2010 with a new lens mount jointly developed with PENTAX?
- This statement from Samsung was a vision for the future rather than an actual product announcement. We are currently discussing whether a joint development has merit for both companies.
09-23-2008, 12:52 AM   #112

Do you know about the weights of the new L lenses? Anyone knows??
Pentax 18-55 L - 200 grams
Pentax 55-200 L - 235 grams

Nikon 18-55 AF-S VR - 265 grams
Nikon 55-200 AF-S VR - 335 grams

Pentax K-m - 590 grams (battery + sd card)
Nikon D60 - 522 grams (battery)

Pentax kit overall weight - 1025 grams
Nikon kit overall weight - 1122 grams

And the Pentax is a far better specced camera, and can actually use the whole Pentax lens range, unlike the Nikon.

I fail to see why the K-m is such a bad camera. It's actually quite a good entry-level model, if they price it right and actually market the damn thing, they might do well.

09-23-2008, 01:27 AM   #113
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troywhite Quote
I just wish the people who keep whining and saying they will jump ship would just do it already. I'm getting sick and tired of hearing it all the time.

My current camera is fantastic for me (K20D) as was the *istDS I upgraded from.

Pentax needed a 3rd level of camera in the market and they have wisely chosen the entry level.

FFS PEOPLE!!! Entry level!!! Ricehigh!!! Entry Level!!! So don't start moaning and groaning about its focus (which will work fine regardless of the poop you spurt out about it) or its weight (big deal, it's still an SLR) or its battery use (I personally happen to like using AA's and I know plenty of people who will think this is great too)

</end of rant>
I agree. If you don’t mind I’ll pick up the rant where you left off.

It’s very obvious that all of the recent lenses are meant to simulate the popular focal lengths of what was around with film. I needn't go through the whole list, but just look at the numbers. Pentax is completely focused on APS-C format. They have the most complete lens line up for APS-C. That’s why I came to Pentax from Canon. Three DA primes and a few other lenses later and I’m very satisfied with my decision. Not a moment of regret.

You want high resolution FF, fine. I’ll try and give you some clue as to what you’re in for. I spent years lugging around a 645 film camera. I quickly found out that without a tripod, mirror lock, and anything else you can think of to keep things stable most of that extra resolution was lost. Without it I was better off with my Canon 35mm gear. Do that for 4 or 5 years and get back to me. Are we having fun yet! My first digital camera was a Rebel 350D. What a joy to get rid of all that stuff. I still us a tripod at times, but only when I really need it. With MF there wasn’t a choice. Use it or leave the camera at home. Looking back I would have been happier (and probably better off) staying with 35mm. The same thing is going to happen with a High MP count FF. Suffering for your art is okay, but some things just go to far. I’m staying with APS-C.

The point of this little ramble is that I use Pentax because it has what I want. It works for me. From all indications Pentax has no plans on doing FF. That’s fine with me because I have no plans on doing FF. If Pentax doesn’t have what you want then change systems. If you feel somehow limited with what you have there are other choices. I feel very good about the recent Photokina. Nice entry level camera and some great lenses, all geared towards my favorite format. I just want to get my grubby hands on that DA 15 limited. Personally I think there’s a small number of very vocal, negative people on this site. It’s likely some kind of control thing. I just have to learn to let it go.

Last edited by Alan 2; 09-23-2008 at 01:38 AM.
09-23-2008, 03:02 AM   #114
Inactive Account

More I read about the new K-m, more I like it and want it.
I don't know if Pentax will manage to compete with all the new LV dSLR's. People who use P&S need LV for some reason.

Too bad they can't ship the charger K-BC50E and the battery D-Li50 with every dSLR they make.
It would be a great advantage for us who have the K10D/K20D, I have two chargers and seven battery's! But the AA battery's are great if you are on the road. If it was possible I would like to see a battery system like the x-box 360 controller have. Two AA in an adapter that looks like the battery pack. Then you have a chance to upgrade to a charger with lithium-ion battery and Pentax would make more money selling accessories.

Pentax don't need FF and I'm pleased that they only do APS-C, at this point. But they better release a MF in a couple of years.

The new DA 15mm looks great. Does anyone know the size? Does it fit with the pancake family?

09-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
The new DA 15mm looks great. Does anyone know the size? Does it fit with the pancake family?
It looks to me like it's a little bigger than the 21L/70L, but significantly smaller than the 35L. That's supposed to be an integrated lens hood, so I hope it pulls out like the 35L.
09-23-2008, 04:53 AM   #116
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Pentax: Photokina 2008 Show Report: Digital Photography Review
weak show
09-23-2008, 05:17 AM   #117
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

The managgers are not very happy...
09-23-2008, 05:32 AM   #118
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wow...that photo makes the Pentax display and showcase look really pathetic. I hope it was a better showing than that!
09-23-2008, 05:48 AM   #119

K-m looks like a Canon 450d and Nikon D60 crossover.. like they mated.. well not bad, because those are populair entry level cameras
09-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #120
Inactive Account

I just hope the K-m have great jpg's straight out of the camera.
Consumer tests grade dSLR after jpg quality, easy menu and accesories.
If the K-m jpg quality is as good as the Nikon D40 and Canon xxxD and have easy to understand menu's, maybe it will be a good competator against CaNikon entry level dSLR.