Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 06:16 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Alan 2 Quote
It’s very obvious that all of the recent lenses are meant to simulate the popular focal lengths of what was around with film. I needn't go through the whole list, but just look at the numbers. Pentax is completely focused on APS-C format....suffering for your art is okay, but some things just go to far. I’m staying with APS-C.
I totally agree with that, I guess I'm just a bit upset that it's obvious Pentax is not focusing on what I need. I'll take your size rant one step further. I just got back from NYC and after one day of carrying my back pack with K10D & 2 lenses around I had enough. I just left it in the hotel the rest of the trip. So APS-C is even too large for my liking. That just confirmed for me how badly I really do want a digital "Auto 110". So I was just really hoping Pentax would skip the entry level market that Canon & Nikon currently dominate and create a mirrorless 110 size camera. That sort of system would appeal to both beginners looking for better IQ and serious photographers looking for a pocket camera.

It just seems like they'd have more success going an alternate route then doing the exact same thing C&N are doing. I just personally see mirrorless as the future, so I'd like to see the brand I started with 11 years ago be ahead of the pack on that front.

09-23-2008, 06:56 AM   #122

Maybe those men have just realised that the display case isn't locked, and are guarding it!

But seriously, I think the K-m looks like a nice little camera. I was expecting an "If you can't compete in the entry level market, join it" outcome, and here it is.
Hopefully the build quality is superior to Canon's equivalents, (which do feel slightly nicer than a Diana, I admit...) otherwise there may be grumbles of discontent all round.
I am wondering that they should have introduced a new sensor in it for good measure, but I know it's good enough for any beginner anyway.
I read that the K-m + 18-55 kit will cost £399, and the K-m +18-55 + 50-200 wil cost £499. I wouldn't pay £100 extra for a cut-down 50-200. I'm sure the street prices will be lower, though.

The new lenses and ring flash look to be great products. I'd like to see some sample images from the 15mm Limited sometime soon.

I wouldn't buy it myself, I'm spoilt enough with a K10D.
Plus there aren't enough buttons for me!
09-23-2008, 10:22 AM   #123
Veteran Member

its funny reading all your whining aout an entry level camera that is cleary not aimed at any of us. what's the point? there are 5k members here, maybe 100 active, if pentax only did things to please you guys and not new potential buyers, there woud be no pentax...
09-23-2008, 12:33 PM   #124
Pentaxian

I was at the Photokina and had the chance to try the K-m out. I've just played around with it a bit, nothing scientific. Coming from a K20D, I liked its size and weight! It is pretty fast, the AF is one of the fastest I have seen from Pentax. No hunting or double-check, just a quick and firm AF lock. Perfect! I also like its responsiveness (my main gripe with the K100D Super which I also had before I replaced it with a K10D). While not a Sports photographer's camera, the camera was immediately ready after a shot.

I hope the K-m (K2000) is going to be a best seller

09-23-2008, 12:51 PM   #125
Veteran Member

I have not taken the time to read most of these, but simply put, i am very happy.

Looks to me like pentax have the most lenses announced for a camera manufacturer (not a third party lens producer)...

And they are NICE lenses. Totally the right direction. And thats what i want. K20d does everything i need. Anything more is just over gadgety. I wish i wish i wish they would release an udated 16-50. That would solve many of our problems

But what the f**k is that thing with sequins glued all over?!?!!?
09-23-2008, 03:08 PM   #126
Veteran Member

So is Pentax only showing 4 new items at Photokina? The 15mm, 55mm, 60-250mm and the new body kit?
09-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
Wow...that photo makes the Pentax display and showcase look really pathetic. I hope it was a better showing than that!
Check out the photos from the Pentax display on the dpreview page..
Then make up your own decision on what ogl is trying to portray.

Pentax actually had the second largest number of new SLR related items on display of any camera manufacturer. (Behind Sigma)

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
So is Pentax only showing 4 new items at Photokina? The 15mm, 55mm, 60-250mm and the new body kit?
5 - including the Teleconverter.

09-23-2008, 04:06 PM   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote

Pentax actually had the second largest number of new SLR related items on display of any camera manufacturer. (Behind Sigma)

and ringflash
09-23-2008, 04:25 PM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
3702 M2 adaptor
Where, oh where, did you find the 3702 M2 adapter?

Thank you
Russell
09-23-2008, 04:34 PM   #130
Inactive Account

mixed feelings

On the camera front

-relieved they are not stupid enough to go full frame when they have no lenses; there are three companies to choose from if you want full frame anyway!
-KM is sensible move but a little dull (kind of like upgraded DL). Still, nothing wrong with a good solid budget slr.
-people complain they didn't show a FF mock up, yet complain when they kept doing that for the 645D. Pentax can't win. I'm still in the 645D camp but wouldn't afford or buy either. I think the Leica news gives Pentax a chance to watch how they do. 645D may yet be resurrected.

On the lens front
-pleased with 15mm
-60-250mm still not on shelves yet
-teleconverter looks interesting but wish they'd get a move on
-50mm-nice but a budget fast 50 wouldn't go amiss either (guess ebay is for that)
-excited to see super telephoto on lens map but will never be able to afford it, if it ever comes to market. I hope its a 400mm f/4 or 300mm f/2.8.

flash
-ring flash was good move

in general
-some good pentax announcements. Only really overshadowed because I think the Panasonic G1 and micro 4/3rds was really not what I was expecting and the talk of the show. It might bomb, but I like that some companies are at least taking risks and doing something different. And I thought 4/3rds was a waste of time!
09-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote

That's pretty F'ing weak!!

They better put out another updated map with an 11-16mm on it, details on the super tele and a K30D.
09-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #132

Does anyone else get a woodie from this photo or is it only me :P

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/photokina2008/Zeiss/DSC_0692.jpg
09-23-2008, 05:53 PM   #133
Veteran Member

Overall I am disapointed.

Although Pentax needed a camera at the entry level, I think they went too far in stripping features off the K-m (K2000). I always thought that the K100D was the best entry level camera on the market, because it has the features that a photographer needs. I understand the K-m is intended for a slightly different market, but I do not understand why they dropped the DOF preview, and the mirror lockup (please correct me if I just missed it). I think of these as features needed on a modern DSLR. Even an entry level camera. At least they kept the spotmeter. I had considered Pentax to be a compay that made cameras for photographers, not a company to fill a focus group defined marketing niche.

As for the lenses:

- Great a little 15mm to sit beside the larger 14mm.
- The 60-250 finally. But why not a 100-300 f2.8? I just don't get it. I don't see how it fits with the DA*16-50 f2.8, and DA*50-135 f2.8. Unless we discover it has a full frame image circle...(doubt it.)
- Wow. Another fast fifty. This one can go in the rain at least.
- teleconverter. About time.
- Ring flash. Good. needed by many. But really, how exciting?

So overall, big deal.
09-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #134
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
but I do not understand why they dropped the DOF preview, and the mirror lockup (please correct me if I just missed it).
I don't use DOF preview, I don't know why it needs.
Can someone explain?

We can just take a photo and review it.(and delete it.)
It is much better to see. We are using digital machine, not firm.
09-23-2008, 06:06 PM   #135
Forum Member

I am very dissatisfaction to no live-view.
K2000(K-m) is entry level model.
entry users are prefer camera with L/V, rather than no L/V.

Pentax need to make K2000s with Samsung 14mp sensor ASAP.
(but with low cost... imposible?)

if it is true soon, Canon/Nikon/Sony's entry line up will be eleminated.