Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's simply as a day...
A lot of pentaxians used film cameras, a lot of pentaxians love Pentax lenses and
want to use favorite FF lenses at Pentax FF body.

Good FF is low-noise at high ISO and normal focal range for FF lenses.

MF cameras users have NOTHING from Pentax now. 645 and 67 systems are almost dead.

Leica was almost dead several years ago...And now they can offer S2 in 2009, FF R10 in 2010 and M8 and film cameras too...But Leica is TOO EXPENSIVE...
Sorry but your arguments are getting tiresome and flawed.

Why no FF yet? Pentax is clever enough to know a lot of Pentax users are not prepared to fork out a lot of money on current gear, what more FF. The market for the K-m is far bigger than any FF camera. Period.

For Canon and Nikon who have the overwhelming number of working pros using their gear, having a FF camera is both important and a viable proposition. Both companies adopt a pyramid of influence marketing strategy that seeks to entice serious enthusiasts to buy FF simply because the pros use them. They have the numbers to support FF, Pentax doesn't.

For Pentax, who has a far smaller usage among working pros, FF might not be an immediate priority and there is still a lot of life still in APS-C. Again it is not even clear if current Pentax users are prepared to fork out a FF camera at D3/D700 price point.

Noise levels on the K20D and top APS-C cameras are pretty good, and APS-C is far cheaper than FF as a system.

Whether FF, or larger formats, the whole issue of digital photography revolves on THE SENSOR and it's availability. My take on why the digital 645 was pushed back and shelved was because the lack of an appropriate sensor with enough resolution at a target price point. It isn't even clear if there is a big enough market for a Pentax digital medium format camera.
Most medium format film shooters have already switched to high end DSLRs primarily for workflow issues and because of the high cost of digital medium format.

Look at Mamiya/Leaf or Hasselblad digital systems and the new Leica. They are priced outside the pockets of most enthusiasts and they are not volume sellers. No need to lament about the 645/67 segments because unless you're a working pro or one with bags of money, it is out of reach for the majority of photographers. Nothing worse for Pentax than to have a camera the can't sell in numbers.

09-23-2008, 10:24 PM   #152
Forum Member

NO!!!!
It's different versions of sensor.
Have a look at specs.
Yes, maybe K2000s with different version of Samsung 14mp sensor will be OK.

09-23-2008, 11:03 PM   #153
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I wish it were this simple. But the bottom line is that there aren't enough of these FF loving Pentaxians, or rather, FF loving Pentaxians who are willing to pay the $$$ for a Pentax FF.

There was a poll in dpreview asking how many would actually pay for a Pentax FF... not that many even in a forum like dpreview.
I want to buy FF camera from Pentax for 2500-3000 USD.
09-23-2008, 11:06 PM   #154
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Sorry but your arguments are getting tiresome and flawed.

Why no FF yet? Pentax is clever enough to know a lot of Pentax users are not prepared to fork out a lot of money on current gear, what more FF. The market for the K-m is far bigger than any FF camera. Period.

For Canon and Nikon who have the overwhelming number of working pros using their gear, having a FF camera is both important and a viable proposition. Both companies adopt a pyramid of influence marketing strategy that seeks to entice serious enthusiasts to buy FF simply because the pros use them. They have the numbers to support FF, Pentax doesn't.

For Pentax, who has a far smaller usage among working pros, FF might not be an immediate priority and there is still a lot of life still in APS-C. Again it is not even clear if current Pentax users are prepared to fork out a FF camera at D3/D700 price point.

Noise levels on the K20D and top APS-C cameras are pretty good, and APS-C is far cheaper than FF as a system.

Whether FF, or larger formats, the whole issue of digital photography revolves on THE SENSOR and it's availability. My take on why the digital 645 was pushed back and shelved was because the lack of an appropriate sensor with enough resolution at a target price point. It isn't even clear if there is a big enough market for a Pentax digital medium format camera.
Most medium format film shooters have already switched to high end DSLRs primarily for workflow issues and because of the high cost of digital medium format.

Look at Mamiya/Leaf or Hasselblad digital systems and the new Leica. They are priced outside the pockets of most enthusiasts and they are not volume sellers. No need to lament about the 645/67 segments because unless you're a working pro or one with bags of money, it is out of reach for the majority of photographers. Nothing worse for Pentax than to have a camera the can't sell in numbers.
OK...
Why still no new AF system????
No 5 fps. 1/8000. 1/320 or 1/500 flash sync?

09-23-2008, 11:35 PM   #155
Veteran Member

I want to buy FF camera from Pentax for 2500-3000 USD.
Yes, but you and how many others? Not enough.
If I had $2500-3000 USD to blow on camera gear, I'd be all over the K20, and a pair of DA* lenses...

OK...
Why still no new AF system????
No 5 fps. 1/8000. 1/320 or 1/500 flash sync?
You're not magically going to get these things appearing in the middle / low end of the product range

Like sensor tech, they'll come down-range from high end models. If you want to feel cheated, the time to do so will be if Pentax releases a "Pro" grade APS-C body, and none of these things have been upgraded. In years following, they'll cascade down the range.

My question is this - if in several months Pentax released a "Pro" level APS-C body, with a new AF system, faster burst, faster flash sync, better liveview, etc, for $2000 USD, would you buy it?
09-24-2008, 12:07 AM   #156
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpopham Quote
Yes, but you and how many others? Not enough.
If I had $2500-3000 USD to blow on camera gear, I'd be all over the K20, and a pair of DA* lenses...

You're not magically going to get these things appearing in the middle / low end of the product range

Like sensor tech, they'll come down-range from high end models. If you want to feel cheated, the time to do so will be if Pentax releases a "Pro" grade APS-C body, and none of these things have been upgraded. In years following, they'll cascade down the range.

My question is this - if in several months Pentax released a "Pro" level APS-C body, with a new AF system, faster burst, faster flash sync, better liveview, etc, for $2000 USD, would you buy it?
Of course.
09-24-2008, 01:16 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Of course.
Why not just get a Canon 1DMKIII or Nikon D3, they have all what you are looking for already

Most Pentax users chose or stay w/ Pentax because Pentax is value for money. If I had the money as you do, I probably would've left Pentax long time ago ...

09-24-2008, 02:08 AM   #158
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Strange men...Ask the same question in various threads...
I don't care Canon or Nikon lenses...

EXPLAIN ONE MORE TIME.
I LOVE PENTAX LENSES AND I'D LIKE TO PUT PENTAX FF LENSES AT PENTAX FF BODY,
NOT AT CANON OR NIKON.

If it's stated policy of Pentax - "IF YOU WANT FF camera, go out from system",
I don't think that it's a good care for Pentax's amateurs.
09-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

EXPLAIN ONE MORE TIME.
NOT AT CANON OR NIKON.

Could you explain again one more time for me..... just joking

I understand what you saying and your feelings especially towards Pentax glass.

I want no other brand of lens in my bag, but with me I am at the moment content going without FF body.

For the sake of people like you and I am sure there are many in the same boat...lets hope that FF is not far away.

Neil
09-24-2008, 02:30 AM   #160
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
I'm tired to read zombie posts in every threads if somebody can say some doubts about Pentax policy now -
I have shot just over 10000 images with my K10D/K20D and I am very happy with it...
Happy. OK. It's your problems. I'm not happy.

This fans can shoot at the end of the world with SAFOX VIII and APC-S, but I don't want...

A lot of Pentaxians invested in the *ist D 3-4 year ago, because of it's small size and full features. Then Pentax abandoned this idea completely.
Now they release K-m (after 1000D/D40/D60/E410/E420), which is almost nothing more than an modest upgrade to the k100D, adding a bit smaller size and a larger chip + some features for newbies.

I like K-m, but it's not enough....

Last edited by ogl; 09-24-2008 at 02:36 AM.
09-24-2008, 02:40 AM   #161
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
Could you explain again one more time for me..... just joking

I understand what you saying and your feelings especially towards Pentax glass.

I want no other brand of lens in my bag, but with me I am at the moment content going without FF body.

For the sake of people like you and I am sure there are many in the same boat...lets hope that FF is not far away.

Neil
I still hope to see Pentax FF....But I don't see any sign.
I compared K20D picture with Canon 5D. From ISO800 K20D lose approx. 1/2 of stop, at higher ISO - 1 stop.

Canon 5D Mk II is better than Canon 5D, especially at ISO800-3200.
09-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #162
Veteran Member

EXPLAIN ONE MORE TIME.
NOT AT CANON OR NIKON.

So you're waiting for Pentax to tell you?

I mean... can't you take decisions by yourself? You know.. thinking?

If you're so obviously dissatisfied with the direction Pentax is taking, go towards the brand that suits your tastes better.

And if you want an FF body, I have an excellent suggestion: TRY FILM. And stop complaining.
09-24-2008, 05:10 AM   #163
Veteran Member

Films are definitely full frame.
09-24-2008, 05:12 AM   #164

I'm tired to read zombie posts in every threads
And we're tired of your repeated doom and gloom posts in every thread you can get your little hands on. If your disappointed and upset I'm not going to tell you to go to another brand, I'm going to tell you to keep it to yourself. Unless you actually have something worthwhile to add to a discussion, instead of just repeating the same negative s**t over and over again, DON'T POST HERE. At least not repeatedly, make your comment once and be done or don't say anything.
09-24-2008, 06:39 AM   #165
Veteran Member

What happened to the rumor that said that people had seen K20D Super ads somewhere? Does someone have more input here? Is it maybe a more "silent" launch after photokina so that the K-m gets all the light?