Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 06:39 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Samsung FF sensor's rumors

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/wild-rumors-about-samsung-producing-large-q...-frame-sensor/

09-12-2018, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If this is true at all, Pentax has to be one of the main candidates to be the customer. It has a history of working with Samsung and does make full frame cameras now. Sony is obviously out. Canon makes their own, Nikon has Sony make them to their own design (I guess they could change), Panasonic is rumored to be using their own for full frame. Not many more customers left.

I bet that the camera companies were not impressed by the sensor shortage after the Kyushu earthquake and would love to have more credible suppliers. It could be nonsense, but if not it's good news I think. Samsung certainly has the potential to make good sensors.
09-12-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As that linked article says it has near zero credibility...
09-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Although anything is possible, it would be surprising to see Samsung coming out of the blue with a FF sensor. Actually, they don't produce anything larger than sensors for smartphones and tablets (about 1/2.3"). It would be a huge step to go from there to FF, even assuming the technology is scalable...
Still, it would be good news to see some competition to Sony.

09-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
Forum Member

they should buy more then the Sensor from Samsung...
They should take the whole package from Samsung incl. TizenOS Firmware that was soo intuitive...
I just didnt like the Samsung mount of the NX1 since it looked like(size) it was restricting further development to Crop-Sensor-Size... Samsung should have kept it GX for Pro-Bodies....
that also would have pushed PENTAX to move a bit faster...

Another cooperation between PENTAX and SAMSUNG, with Samsung keeping their hands-off camera sales and production but therefore only producing parts like the mainboard and sensor, could mean huge steps forwards for PENTAX gear...

looking at what the NX1 theoretically (and practically)was capable of...
09-12-2018, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Although anything is possible, it would be surprising to see Samsung coming out of the blue with a FF sensor. Actually, they don't produce anything larger than sensors for smartphones and tablets (about 1/2.3"). It would be a huge step to go from there to FF, even assuming the technology is scalable...
Still, it would be good news to see some competition to Sony.
They make the sensor in their APSC cameras... Admittedly allegedly discontinued. (Likely)
09-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
If this is true at all, Pentax has to be one of the main candidates to be the customer. It has a history of working with Samsung and does make full frame cameras now. Sony is obviously out. Canon makes their own, Nikon has Sony make them to their own design (I guess they could change), Panasonic is rumored to be using their own for full frame. Not many more customers left.

I bet that the camera companies were not impressed by the sensor shortage after the Kyushu earthquake and would love to have more credible suppliers. It could be nonsense, but if not it's good news I think. Samsung certainly has the potential to make good sensors.
Thats what I was thinking. Pentax & Samsung had some history not that long ago, so hopefilly that will work in both company's favor with doing some deals, Samsung gets a longterm customer & makes money on selling some FF sensors & Ricoh gets sensors at a good price (hopefully cheaper than $ony), so they have a bit of extra cash for R&D, etc. Win win for both Samsung & Ricoh.
09-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
They make the sensor in their APSC cameras... Admittedly allegedly discontinued. (Likely)
Yes, this was already a few years ago and the last APS-C sensor they made, at least officialy. Now, the webpage of their sensors division only shows small sensors for mobile devices and industrial applications. And nothing from Samsung points toward a will to go back in the camera APS-C or FF sensor market.

---------- Post added 09-12-18 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by disconnekt Quote
Thats what I was thinking. Pentax & Samsung had some history not that long ago, so hopefilly that will work in both company's favor with doing some deals, Samsung gets a longterm customer & makes money on selling some FF sensors & Ricoh gets sensors at a good price (hopefully cheaper than $ony), so they have a bit of extra cash for R&D, etc. Win win for both Samsung & Ricoh.
This would be interesting to see! Even more so that Sony sensor division now seems to work mostly with custom sensors ordered by camera manufacturers instead of developing "on the shelf" sensors available to all manufacturers. The last FF sensor they launched was the IMX094 in 2012. Everything since was custom made and thus only available to the original client...

Last edited by CarlJF; 09-12-2018 at 09:43 AM.
09-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FYI: Another rumor: Panasonic is developing and will announce about January a camera with a FF sensor, probably with a new lens mount (BAD idea). Rumor mill says the camera is being developed in coordination with Leica*, but it will not use any existing Leica lens mount. My suspicion: they will use some new version of an all-electronic lens mount as they cannot use the tiny MFT mount, nor are they likely to be able to license Canon's EOS mount nor either the new Canon or Nikon mirrorless mounts.

Also, SONY is allegedly on the brink of releasing a "global shutter" 20mp sensor (= eliminates the rolling shutter problem when using the electronic shutter option on a mirrorless camera).

*Which means Leica will glue on a red dot and sell exactly the same camera for double the price.
09-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
As that linked article says it has near zero credibility...
That's why it's rumour
09-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI: Another rumor: Panasonic is developing and will announce about January a camera with a FF sensor, probably a new mount (BAD idea). Rumor mill says the camer is being developed in coordination with Leica, but it will not use any existing Leica lens mount. My suspicion: they will use some new version of an all-electronic lens mount as they cannot use the tiny LFT mount, nor are they likely to be able to license Canon's EOS mount nor either the new Canon or Nikon mirrorless mounts.

Also, SONY is allegedly on the brink of releasing a "global shutter" 20mp sensor (= eliminates the rolling shutter problem when using the electronic shutter option on a mirrorless camera).
I've read that they use their own FF sensor more than 30 MP. The camera will be announced on September, 25 and will be launched on March, 2019.
New mount. Not Leica.
09-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #12
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
FYI: Another rumor: Panasonic is developing and will announce about January a camera with a FF sensor, probably a new mount (BAD idea). Rumor mill says the camer is being developed in coordination with Leica, but it will not use any existing Leica lens mount. My suspicion: they will use some new version of an all-electronic lens mount as they cannot use the tiny LFT mount, nor are they likely to be able to license Canon's EOS mount nor either the new Canon or Nikon mirrorless mounts.

Maybe they make the M-mount into a full all-electronic lens mount. .....backwards compatible with M-mount lenses.
09-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I assume that Pentax moved away from Samsung sensors because the Sony ones had superior performance. I wouldn't expect anyone to start using Samsung sensors, unless there was a compelling reason to do so.
09-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe they make the M-mount into a full all-electronic lens mount. .....backwards compatible with M-mount lenses.
I doubt that Leica will let them. They enjoy having some mystical quality associated with all their equipment. I think that Voigtlander is the only non-Leica camera body ever to us the M-mount.
09-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I assume that Pentax moved away from Samsung sensors because the Sony ones had superior performance. I wouldn't expect anyone to start using Samsung sensors, unless there was a compelling reason to do so.
28 MP APS-C sensor was better than Sony 24 MP.