Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 59 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 03:00 AM   #61
Pentaxian

The reason Samsung wasn't the best "partner" with Pentax, IMO, was not the sensor - improved in the subsequent versions; but the fact that they stabbed them in the back.
Specifically, while pretending to be "partnering", they were developing the NX system without Pentax' knowledge.

09-17-2018, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
So which ones specifically were soft?
So long ago I really can't say.
This does not concern their last one (was it NX1 ?) as I really didn't Pauly attention to that one.

Anyway, as long as RI pays attention to rendering quality, that's fine.
09-17-2018, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The reason Samsung wasn't the best "partner" with Pentax, IMO, was not the sensor - improved in the subsequent versions; but the fact that they stabbed them in the back.
Specifically, while pretending to be "partnering", they were developing the NX system without Pentax' knowledge.
How do we know it was without Hoya's knowledge that Samsung developed their NX system?

May be Samsung proposed Hoya to team up in this new venture as well and Hoya simply declined, too occupied to trim down Pentax's photography activities as they were?

Who knows?
09-17-2018, 03:05 AM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
However,the BSI samsung 28mp sensor is "old" now and if RI use that its a major step up.
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
did I miss a post?
This is the only sensor i mentioned....Ive been using it around 4 years,If RI buy this one and tweak it (like they did the 36mp sensor) then it will be an awesome Pentax.

I will assume you responded to the "which sensor is soft post"???...

09-17-2018, 03:12 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is interesting. Probably the biggest thing is that it would supply an update processor that would allow Pentax to move forward with video, which seems to be a big thing on a lot of people's minds. As far as Samsung's sensors, they seemed to do the modern thing where they trade read out speed for some dynamic range at low iso. The NX 1 still had better performance than the sensor in the K3, albeit with 15 frames per second possible.

The thing to remember is that just because a sensor is capable of crazy things -- 15 frames per second or 4K video at 120 frames per second, it doesn't mean that Pentax has to enable all of that. Still, I think Kunzite is right when he says that some of the specs listed are just made up.
09-17-2018, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
How do we know it was without Hoya's knowledge that Samsung developed their NX system?

May be Samsung proposed Hoya to team up in this new venture as well and Hoya simply declined, too occupied to trim down Pentax's photography activities as they were?

Who knows?
I vaguely remember some sort of statement about Pentax being taken by surprise Sorry, this is all I can offer you. It is weak, but it is plausible.

Thing is, I never trusted Samsung (or other big corporation like Sony) to properly partner with Pentax. They usually want to have everything under their control; they'd rather fail alone than succeed together.
OTOH I'm talking about strategic partnership like developing camera systems; something like sensors and processors are a different matter. I don't see any issue with this rumor, supposing the products are competitive.
09-17-2018, 03:15 AM   #67

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony has actually separated their sensor division as an entirely separate business as they want to encourage others to buy their sensors, to gain more profits of course, but it was to ascertain that when you submit a design to Sony sensor fab it is your own design and none of it is "leaked" back to Sony camera division.
Often Sony just manufactures the sensor, just like TMC or any other fab factories making chips for AMD or anybody else.

How this fits in and what Samsung and their sensor business does for Pentax I don't know, but I'll wait for now until we know more.

Sony's lucrative image sensor division is now a separate company

09-17-2018, 03:24 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Thing is, I never trusted Samsung (or other big corporation like Sony) to properly partner with Pentax. They usually want to have everything under their control; they'd rather fail alone than succeed together.
OTOH I'm talking about strategic partnership like developing camera systems; something like sensors and processors are a different matter. I don't see any issue with this rumor, supposing the products are competitive.
Ricoh is simply going to be a customer of Samsung,so the customer is always right,...right! Ricoh pays the cost and says we want this, that and the other.Samsung supplies what Ricoh requires.

I think,IF, these rumours are correct, its good for Pentax shooters.
09-17-2018, 03:35 AM   #69
Pentaxian

I'll base my observation of owning both!
You are owning a KP and a new Samsung sensored camera and observe a step up from the Sony sensor in the KP to the latter one? May I repeat again: in IQ? I'd like to see proof for that, I guess you understand my wish, thanks.
09-17-2018, 03:39 AM   #70
Pentaxian

I hope this will be for the better. I hate to see the K-3II successor with lots of hardware improvement and only to have a not so good image quality. I hope the image quality of this sensor will be much better than what the KP gives. If it does then that is something that other brands have to recon with.
09-17-2018, 04:01 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
probably the biggest thing is that it would supply an update processor that would allow Pentax to move forward with video,
Yes, this is long overdue....For me, i dont buy bodies that dont do "reasonable" video.The exception being the K-1.(now everyone tell me its not that bad,which it isnt in some circumstances but ive been shooting 4K for 4 years with SAMSUNG and its reasonably good)

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
15 frames per second or 4K video at 120 frames per second, it doesn't mean that Pentax has to enable all of that. Still, I think Kunzite is right when he says that some of the specs listed are just made up.
Firstly 15 frames,i can use...4K at 120fps wont happen,the video i posted can do it but its a 30k rig specifically for video.No consumer camera will do that for a while,Espescially a Pentax!...4K at 24/30fps is fine,60fps is what the Fuji is doing but I'm not sure if Ricoh has the same sensor as Fuji???The reason is the "rumour" is Fuji got a sensor...Ricoh got a sensor and a processor,they may be different sensors and Samsung could have stocks of the 28mp BSI from NX1/500.???

Almost 2 years ago,the "rumour" was that Nikon had bought the Samsung tech for NX1/500...BS iIluminated was the result!Nikon probably had the Z series starting to develop around then.
09-17-2018, 04:02 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I hope the image quality of this sensor will be much better than what the KP gives.
Wishful thinking aside: So far no sensor or camera maker has presented anything that is even "relevant better" than the KP. Where should a "much better" come from?

We should get used to the fact that IQ wise current sensor types are at a point where no further "improvements" in noise, DR will be coming. Actually that has been the case for a number of years already.

The new battlefront is readout speeds, video, global shutter without massive IQ degradation and such, but nothing IQ wise. And all those things are only sexy to a very narrow customer group.
09-17-2018, 04:09 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Samsung. Hmmn. Count your fingers if last time is any guide. This would make sense if _at the same time_ Pentax released updated APS-C lenses like 16-50mm, 50-135mm and say 55mm. Otherwise the older existing APS-C lenses may severely limit what a new Samsung-powered processing engine is capable of. Or maybe Ricoh will buy only a sensor and continue with Milbeaut processors. Even then, the total cost of a kit like that would be scarily close to going straight to FF which is where the whole squeeze on higher-end crop-format stuff is coming in for all the camera outfits. I wonder if any connection with Samsung is for something else, like a K1 successor or sister camera or the Ricoh GR series?

Last edited by mecrox; 09-17-2018 at 04:17 AM.
09-17-2018, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
So far no sensor or camera maker has presented anything that is even "relevant better" than the KP. Where should a "much better" come from?
From the Ricoh magicians that made that old 36mp A7r sensor into a K-1 masterpiece!
09-17-2018, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

From the Ricoh magicians that made that old 36mp A7r sensor into a K-1 masterpiece!
I agree that they managed to tweak out some more and hopefully they'll do that everywhere. But we were discussing hardware (pre-tweaking) strictly.

The last "much better" in my book was from K-7 to K-5, 8 years ago.