Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #16

Perhaps it is not over demand but a problem with initial supply. Obviously not all regions get the same supply at the same time. When i looked into scheduling with Suncamera for the mk2 upgrade a while back they already had a delay on the estimates and that was months ago.
My first K-1 (mk1) took over two months to come in.

I didn't get the mk2 upgrade in the end. Put the money towards the new 50mm f1.4, much better investment.

Last edited by solitudebound; 09-19-2018 at 05:58 AM.
09-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My guess based on forum responses is, as long as you aren't going to have to eat craft dinner for a year to pay for it, odds are good you'll like it.
Or if you already do eat Kraft Dinner, then make that "as long as you won't have to forgo the expensive ketchup".
09-19-2018, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Always good to see when Ricoh is surprised by high demand.
I find it funny that they always seem to be surprised about the demand.

Maybe they feel like Pentax is doomed.
09-19-2018, 02:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've been ni touch with Sun Cameras who do Pentax-Ricoh repais and perform the upgrade from the K-1 to K-1 II.

They have extended the program until "at least" the end of October because demand is too high. In fact, it's currently not possible to send your camera for the upgrade as they are waiting for more parts. The parts they have or have ordered are spoken for until the end of October, and they asked me to contact them only at that time since they won't have anything until then.

Great news, I think, it means Pentax users are more numerous than expected, and interested in upgrading!
Pentax users are more numerous or Pentax didn't make enough parts is another way to look at it. At least they are willing to extend it past Photokina, not that I'm expecting anything other than confirming some lenses at the event for 2019/2020

09-19-2018, 02:22 PM   #20
Pentaxian

I would register / submit the signed application form before the end of September.

They might've been extending the upgrade operation, but not the application itself.
The Hamburg service told me they'll be accepting registrations until the end of the month, by the way.
09-19-2018, 02:38 PM   #21

Having tested the K-1 II for the upcoming Pentaxforums review, the noise handling, better AF and added perks definitely swayed me over. I'm doing the upgrade.
When is the review to be published?
09-20-2018, 04:38 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
When is the review to be published?
It's with the editor right now.

09-20-2018, 04:56 AM   #23

It's with the editor right now.
Good to know thanks for the sneak peek
09-20-2018, 05:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
I find it funny that they always seem to be surprised about the demand.

Maybe they feel like Pentax is doomed.
That's code for "we didn't make enough parts."
09-20-2018, 06:17 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's code for "we didn't make enough parts."
You think these parts are any different than those going into new cameras??
09-20-2018, 07:43 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You think these parts are any different than those going into new cameras??
No reason. They're changing the PCB (main board), mostly, then pushing the correct firmware.
09-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

No reason. They're changing the PCB (main board), mostly, then pushing the correct firmware.
No specific knowledge, but the package would include seals and any assembly bits and pieces required for the job. And the main board. This would have been a production run at some factory somewhere. They didn't do enough, and they are no doubt arranging

What I find heartening is that the overwhelming bad reviews are being ignored. Nothing I have read about the upgrade matches my experience. I simply will not pay the slightest bit of attention to those people; they are untrustworthy.
09-20-2018, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
What I find heartening is that the overwhelming bad reviews are being ignored. Nothing I have read about the upgrade matches my experience. I simply will not pay the slightest bit of attention to those people; they are untrustworthy.
I have seen only a couple distinct sources of bad comments - their agenda / approach is different from mine, so I have largely ignored them from the beginning.
09-21-2018, 04:53 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hope you find the upcoming review more accurate and closer to your experience.

Having tested the K-1 II extensively, I cannot begin to see how some "big guns" websites could dismiss it so easily. Maybe they don't know how to use a Pentax camera and can't be bothered to learn, or maybe there's something else.
09-21-2018, 05:31 AM   #30
Pentaxian

No specific knowledge, but the package would include seals and any assembly bits and pieces required for the job. And the main board. This would have been a production run at some factory somewhere. They didn't do enough, and they are no doubt arranging

It's either crab mentality or gear envy. People from other brands will never accept that Pentax is good enough to do the job. Just take a look at how cameraville reviewed the k-1 vs. the d850. Now that was a side by side proof and I think the k-1 simply kicked the d850. Some of those guys can't just accept that.