Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 98 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2018, 09:17 AM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the press release does not seem pentax specific... words say electric aperture control, but pictures do not agree. you need an aperture lever with an a contact, or kaf4 mount... this doesn't show either? or does kaf4 not need the additional two contact for aperture?

11-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The pictures shown, even those on the webpage of the Pentax mount version, are those of the Canon mount version.

Irix Lens 150mm Macro 1:1 f/2,8 Dragonfly for Pentax

11-08-2018, 10:13 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I am selling mine (I have it advertised on UK Pentax forum) but postage costs to New Zeland would be very high.
Thanks! I'll send you a a PM.
11-10-2018, 02:25 AM   #109
Veteran Member

As it can be pre-ordered from B&H, should I buy on pre-order or wait for some reviews.

11-10-2018, 03:16 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
As it can be pre-ordered from B&H, should I buy on pre-order or wait for some reviews.
I think it would be wise to wait for a review Bob. Don't discount the Pentax D FA 100mmm f2.8 either.
11-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #111
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Irix are looking for five testers of their 150mm f/2.8 Macro Dragonfly:

Enter our Irix Photo testers competition! : My Irix

Applications, including three macro pictures, have to be sent by the 22nd of November.

11-17-2018, 08:28 AM - 2 Likes   #112
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Irix are looking for five testers of their 150mm f/2.8 Macro Dragonfly
Dunno... Maybe I'm getting too cynical, but it sounds to me like they're looking for five good macro photogs to give them a lot of social media exposure in exchange for access to a loaner lens for one month. Not even a measly rebate if you want to keep the thing after a month? Doesn't seem too enticing but maybe I am missing something?

EDIT: Actually, they're looking for everyone that applies to give them social media exposure in exchange for possibly nothing at all, as most won't even get a loaner at all...

11-17-2018, 08:40 AM - 4 Likes   #113
Pentaxian

Original Poster
If something is free, you are the product.
11-17-2018, 09:33 AM - 2 Likes   #114
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Dunno... Maybe I'm getting too cynical, but it sounds to me like they're looking for five good macro photogs to give them a lot of social media exposure in exchange for access to a loaner lens for one month. Not even a measly rebate if you want to keep the thing after a month? Doesn't seem too enticing but maybe I am missing something?

EDIT: Actually, they're looking for everyone that applies to give them social media exposure in exchange for possibly nothing at all, as most won't even get a loaner at all...
My thoughts exactly! This is a huge ripoff to the entrant Even if you win, you lose!
11-19-2018, 03:03 AM   #115
Pentaxian

Me thinks thou does protest too much. All you have to do is to put some macro photos on the social media platform of your choice with the specified hashtag.

That said, the use use of a lens for one whole month is not much of a prize. Meh.
11-19-2018, 06:12 AM   #116
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
My thoughts exactly! This is a huge ripoff to the entrant Even if you win, you lose!
Well, for myself, I didn't mean to sound quite so harsh.

After all, I guess early access to loaner equipment is how a lot of Youtubers get their views... For them, it's even better that you don't get to keep the equipment, because it makes them seem more neutral as reviewers.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Me thinks thou does protest too much. All you have to do is to put some macro photos on the social media platform of your choice with the specified hashtag.

That said, the use use of a lens for one whole month is not much of a prize. Meh.
Yes, this is more in line with what I was thinking. As a competition, the prize is entirely underwhelming for me. If this was a super groundbreaking lens, and/or ultra expensive, then maybe one month of access to it would be more enticing. Or if at least the winners became "Irix Photogs", where that is some sort of sponsorship program that gives you regular access to loaners as well as rebates on equipment purchases, that would also make it more enticing for me.
11-19-2018, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #117
Veteran Member

The price is lower than I had expected, that's exciting.

As to their contest, from the information in the link the cost to enter is reasonable compared to the prize. One month rental of a $600USD lens looks to be worth about $100USD (on lensrentals) and you're not giving up much of anything. There's no $$$ fee. You're giving them a one-time advertising shot by using a hashtag no one will search for. You're not giving them the rights to use your photos for future ads. You're not promising to write a 1000 word essay on how great the lens is (but I'm sure they're hoping you will). Perhaps they will make all sorts of demands to the 'winners' but this would be pure speculation. I don't really use any of those social media platforms for posting photos, so I won't be entering, but it doesn't look unreasonable.
11-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #118
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Well, for myself, I didn't mean to sound quite so harsh.

After all, I guess early access to loaner equipment is how a lot of Youtubers get their views... For them, it's even better that you don't get to keep the equipment, because it makes them seem more neutral as reviewers.

Yes, this is more in line with what I was thinking. As a competition, the prize is entirely underwhelming for me. If this was a super groundbreaking lens, and/or ultra expensive, then maybe one month of access to it would be more enticing. Or if at least the winners became "Irix Photogs", where that is some sort of sponsorship program that gives you regular access to loaners as well as rebates on equipment purchases, that would also make it more enticing for me.
I don't feel it is harsh in the least. And it isn't a review contest.

The contest favors them either way... it is the typical corporate promotion. The contestant is doing all the leg work.. from owning the equipment, to the expertise in using the equipment, to using the equipment, to sending in the photos. All the company is doing is figuring out which photos submitted they want to use and doling out a test lens for rental on a handful of contestants. Your reward, should you win, is literally to be a Q/A tester and promotional hypeman.. even more work haha.
11-20-2018, 02:03 AM - 3 Likes   #119

I think most of you miss one point - this kind of promotion, if you win the lens for testing, will not promote just Irix, but also you. I'm sure more people are watching Irix page on FB, than mine. Not to mention that those photos will be reproduced on many pages, probably not always with info about author, but at least sometimes. In that case it will promote this person quite a lot. If photography is bussiness for you, it can be quite good marketing, if it's only hobby, I would be realy happy to see few thousands people watching my FB page insted of current 100+
So, if i was into macro more than few shots a year, i'm sure i would try to participate.
11-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This lens is of interest to me. If Pentax delivers on new FF teleconverters next year, then it is a lot more interesting to me.