Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Julius Ceaser once said ............

I K-m, I SAW I CONQUERED
09-22-2008, 02:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks promising.

Now bring on the K20D super with 6 fps and better AF!

09-22-2008, 03:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

If I was a first time DSLR buyer again , I wonder how I would look at the K-m as compared to the K200D. I don't anticipate the K-m to be that much significantly cheaper than the K200D, so if I were to consider a pentax, I would look at both the K-m and the K200D. If I had to choose again, I would pick the K200D again, objectively speaking. Size wasn't a big issue in my choice, if it was, I would have gone with the D40 or the Olympus E-420 anyway. The K-m is dimensionally smaller, but it is still no light weight. I would not give up the 2nd LCD screen and the weather sealing for a smaller camera.

Honestly, it is getting a little crowded in the Pentax range, with no "huge" differences between models. I guess time will tell if the marketing strategy of a slightly smaller K-m will bring in more pentax users or will the company shoot itself in the foot by overcrowding an already overcrowded segment.

Last edited by K200D; 09-22-2008 at 03:18 AM.
09-22-2008, 03:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K200D Quote
If I was a first time DSLR buyer again , I wonder how I would look at the K-m as compared to the K200D. I don't anticipate the K-m to be that much significantly cheaper than the K200D, so if I were to consider a pentax, I would look at both the K-m and the K200D. If I had to choose again, I would pick the K200D again, objectively speaking. Size wasn't a big issue in my choice, if it was, I would have gone with the D40 or the Olympus E-420 anyway. The K-m is dimensionally smaller, but it is still no light weight. I would not give up the 2nd LCD screen and the weather sealing for a smaller camera.

Honestly, it is getting a little crowded in the Pentax range, with no "huge" differences between models. I guess time will tell if the marketing strategy of a slightly smaller K-m will bring in more pentax users or will the company shoot itself in the foot by overcrowding an already overcrowded segment.

I'm thinking the K-m is what K200D should have been, the pentax's entry level model, like the Nikon D40 or Canon 1000d. This bumps the K200D to a higher-end entry level segment, where it really ought to have been, with the Nikon D80 and the Canon Xsi/450D.

I guess with the new baby Pentax, that somewhat secures the resale value of the K200D as well.
k-m will drop price quickly i think.
09-22-2008, 03:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K200D Quote

This segment is not half as overcrowded as the FF segment.
For price, pleas look at another post in anoher thread from me, or compare the official german list prices with the actual selling prices....
KMD + 1 lens kit official price is € 499,00.
Which is exactly what the K200D + 1 lens kit costs at Tekade...
But then look at the official price f the K200D + lens kit at the Pentax germany website: € 799,00
Now that is a HUGE difference. So guess the KMD will drop in price soon, but probably not with €300, a € 199,00 for KD + 1 lens would kill both Pentax and Tekde

09-22-2008, 04:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I notice that focus modes list:

• AF-Auto (new)
• AF-Single
• AF-Continuous
• Manual focus

So I guess that the somewhat mysterious hints about some sort of new autofocus mode in the other threads are a mode were the camera select single or continuous mode according to circumstances???
09-22-2008, 04:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Look at the key differences!!!!!
Wider Iso mode for KM, better images/s
70gramms lighter only...
09-22-2008, 04:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The same thing happened between Canon's 1000D and 450D.

You have to expect the first to drop prices quickly.
09-22-2008, 04:49 AM   #11

Im really impressed with the menu layout. Sure there isnt buttons for everything but all the controls are right there in the shooting mode menu.
09-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #12

The irony would come if the newness of the K-M makes the K200D drop in price... then you could choose between a good new camera or an older camera with some fairly major advantages... for about the same price?

Then again, it's been a while since I was a first-time SLR buyer... I'm not sure which way I'd go.
09-22-2008, 05:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

No AE-L button, means stop down metering with old lenses is removed?
(AF-button can be programmed to be AE-L button, but default is off).
No depth-of-field preview.
Hmm...
Yeah, a Nikon D40x with a Pentax label on it. And some Pentax-twists of course...

Interresting thing:
"Thanks to a thorough review of the AF algorithm, this AF system also offers improved autofocusing speed under poor-lighting conditions, in which conventional AF systems take longer to focus on the subject."

Does this means that the system trades accuracy for speed in low light conditions?
09-22-2008, 05:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
The irony would come if the newness of the K-M makes the K200D drop in price... then you could choose between a good new camera or an older camera with some fairly major advantages... for about the same price?

Then again, it's been a while since I was a first-time SLR buyer... I'm not sure which way I'd go.
I don't think so, the KMD seems to be the entry level that was needed as many stated that the K200D is way above entry level. No competition really
09-22-2008, 05:55 AM   #15

Ogl,
was speaking about 5 different features compared to the k200d and a new interesting feature that no Pentax camera had. I hope he was not speaking about the Help function!
To me, this announcement is a bit disappointing... it does not bring anything new in the panorama of cheap entry-level camera...

The only thing I am curious about is the "Shadow Compensation" (Ogl, were you referring to this?).
Does anybody know what is it?
And is it true that the focus point is not selectable?