Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2008, 05:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I think it's pretty cool that the K-m has sensitivity priority!

Also nice to see the confirmed metal mount

09-22-2008, 06:12 AM   #17

This is great news for Pentax since almost every time I go into a camera shop they are showing a D40 to someone wanting to switch from point and shoot.

Those people don't care about using old manual lenses, they don't care about weather proofing or DOF preview. They just want a DLSR that works a lot like their P&S, but has removable lenses along with higher resolution.

Pentax will sell a bunch of these and possible then some of them will upgrade to the higher end models.

Tom
09-22-2008, 06:56 AM   #18
YJD
Veteran Member

I like it! Even if I will never buy it since I have my K100D Super.
But if I had to buy my first DSLR again, I would probably go with that one.

I agree though when you are saying it is a little crowded, there is not that much difference between the K-m and the K200D. Does in mean in the future we will have:
- K-m for beginners
- KxxD for amateurs and advance users
- KxD for pro (hoping that one will come one day)

That's my wish, simplifying the line will help users to choose.
Though, more products and bigger line-up, more room you'll have on the shelves (hoping Pentax will come back on that one).
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Nice.. i just didnt liked, when dpreview compared sizes, they pointed out only AA batteries (as a downside, comparing to others) for added weight, but didn't mentioned SR (as a posetive feature, which all of the listed competitors lack), which also adds a lot (585g vs 660g k110d/k100d as an example).
( Pentax K-m Hands-on Preview: 3. Body & Design: Digital Photography Review )

Last edited by ytterbium; 09-22-2008 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
09-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
High points...

QuoteOriginally posted by feronovak Quote
Largest screen, largest viewfinder, smallest camera, cheapest batteries, and it's cheap cheap cheap. Amazing little kit.

Cheers,
Cameron
09-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #21

I'm not sure what to think about this K-M yet. It would seem to me that many entry-level users are using these cameras outside on vacations, kids ball games, etc. I see a ton of entry level SLR's at my son's soccer games, and these people aren't afraid to spend a few extra dollars for quality features like weather sealing.

That all being said / my point: I belive with all my heart that the weather-sealing is way undersold! I can hardly imagine a newb looking at their first DSLR and not being able to be sold on getting a weather-sealed camera for a few extra dollars. "you can get this Can*n over here, or.. for about the same price you can get this Pentax, which has Shake Reduction in the body, and...it's weather sealed!"

It was one of the things that sold me on the K200D. Yes, I realize they're going for price-point here, but when your fighting the big dogs everybody sees in ads everwhere, it sure seems like it makes the most sense to market something like weather sealing, especially on an entry level SLR.

..just my 2 cents...
09-22-2008, 01:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Here is a small list of camera's compared.

Attachment 19154

Do you believe the shake reduction, ISO 3200 and somewhat larger LCD and heavier body will make the K-m a successful competition for the large brands?

Prices of the EOS 450D, the D60 (both with IS/VR kitlenses) and the E520 are becoming VERY low around here with Sony almost giving away the A200 kits.

Can Pentax seriously compete at € 499?

- Bert

Last edited by bymy141; 06-18-2009 at 08:25 AM.
09-22-2008, 01:34 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Here is a small list of camera's compared.

Attachment 19154

Do you believe the shake reduction, ISO 3200 and somewhat larger LCD and heavier body will make the K-m a successful competition for the large brands?

Prices of the EOS 450D, the D60 (both with IS/VR kitlenses) and the E520 are becoming VERY low around here with Sony almost giving away the A200 kits.

Can Pentax seriously compete at € 499?

- Bert
625g is with batteries and NiMH btw.
It'd be me, I'd chose Lithium anyway.

I suspect the weights of the other cameras is without battery ...
09-22-2008, 01:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
625g is with batteries and NiMH btw.
It'd be me, I'd chose Lithium anyway.

I suspect the weights of the other cameras is without battery ...
Nope all weights include batteries.
Data copied from DPR overviews.

- Bert
09-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I am really impressed with the functionality that they crammed into that little camera. I was expecting a lot less camera with that lot less price. I would love to get my wife one, but only if I can have a K20DS.
09-22-2008, 02:56 PM   #26
Inactive Account

The price in Norway will be 4495NOK(770USD) for the K-m kit and will be out in October/November.
Fovi AS - PENTAX K-m kit

and 5495NOK for the K-m kit with 50-200mm.
09-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
This segment is not half as overcrowded as the FF segment.
For price, pleas look at another post in anoher thread from me, or compare the official german list prices with the actual selling prices....
KMD + 1 lens kit official price is € 499,00.
Which is exactly what the K200D + 1 lens kit costs at Tekade...
But then look at the official price f the K200D + lens kit at the Pentax germany website: € 799,00
Now that is a HUGE difference. So guess the KMD will drop in price soon, but probably not with €300, a € 199,00 for KD + 1 lens would kill both Pentax and Tekde
I am not sure about European prices, or the MSRP values, but I suppose you could be right. I guess that will shore up the resale values of the K200D's

I still think the entry-level market is more overcrowded than the FF. Off the top of my head, there are 6 FF pro-level and even semi-pro level FF cameras and they are the Canon 1D, 5D, 5D MarkII, Nikon D3, A700, and the Sony A900. But the 12 supposed entry level cameras are Pentax K-m, K200D, Nikon D40, D60, D80, Sony A200, A300, A350, Olympus E420, E520, Canon 1000D, 450D. All of these cameras are below the "pro-sumer" level and targetting at new or beginner DSLR buyers.
09-22-2008, 03:15 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
Yes, so long as prospective buyers actually get to use the K-M in store alongside the other brands. Pentax has build and ergonomics other cheapies do not have, plus better viewfinder. ISO 3200 is a nice number for sales people to sling around. And I would not buy a camera without SR -- so that's the deal sealed.

If I was buying a first SLR today, this would be the one. I said when the K200D came out that I thought it was a major mis-step. This is the price point needed for entry level. The help button and redesigned menus look great. No beginners will miss the top LCD. In fact I might prefer the new menu/info screen to an LCD!

However I am disappointed it is not lighter than this. Really, it's barely different from the K200D. And why introduce a new lens only 25g lighter than the one it replaces? I think that is crazy! Though I prefer the silver band to the ugly green one we are stuck with.

Biggest down-side is the limitation of 5 AF points that are not selectable. I could not give up that feature.
09-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Biggest down-side is the limitation of 5 AF points that are not selectable. I could not give up that feature.
I have always used only one AF point. The one in the center.
Do you need more than one?
09-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NorthPentax Quote
I have always used only one AF point. The one in the center.
Do you need more than one?
Yes. So I can accurately focus in small DOF situations with a subject off-centre. I take shots like this all the time. Focus-recompose is inaccurate.