Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2018, 07:29 AM   #181
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AAlfano Quote
I think this is a good upgrade from the GRII, especially considering they made it even smaller than before. I am a bit disappointed they did not put in an optical viewfinder.

Now if they would just reintroduce the GR1v film camera for dinosaurs like me…
I would already be happy if they start to produce new spare parts for the GR1(whatever) and R1 film cameras again....
I have two broken Ricoh R1... and no one seems to be able to get his hands on spare parts!!!

if anybody in here knows where to buy spare parts for the RICOH R1 plz let me know... Its a real pitty because it was one of the smallest and I am pretty sure THE most slim 35mm film compact camera...

09-26-2018, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #182
Veteran Member

touchscreen and traditional dial wheel, plus removal of TAv and hard controls, you think they would be going for a more mainstream market. but then they remove the flash and green auto mode?

am getting mixed messages
09-26-2018, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #183
Veteran Member

So GRIII is already in official shop (to sign up). On .nl website there was a 999 euro price for a moment.
09-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
So GRIII is already in official shop (to sign up). On .nl website there was a 999 euro price for a moment.
I can confirm that. Tried to add it to the basket, but it was not possible.

09-26-2018, 08:26 AM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
In german Pentax shop no price. But they say beginning of 2019 available... 999,- sounds a bit hefty, though. Maybe not real, but an artifact when they added the item?
09-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #186
Veteran Member

The spec sheet for the GRIII is saying a 3" LCD the same size as the GRII but the LCD definitely looks larger than 3" from the images of the GRIII. It actually looks like it covers the entire raised area the LCD is set in on the GRII so it could be more like a 3.5" screen.

For a camera being released in 2019 there is plenty of time to make sure Ricoh uses UHS-II SD card bus. It makes no sense why Ricoh would not want to use UHS-II it makes their job so much easier. It will only allow Ricoh to produce a camera with the responsiveness users are looking for.

The DB-65 battery is small enough to make it slightly less inconvenient having to carry around an extra and separate type of battery. That said if Ricoh were to move to a different battery for the GRIII they should either make room for the D-LI90 or D-LI109.
09-26-2018, 08:59 AM - 2 Likes   #187
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All your questions are answered by us!

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The spec sheet for the GRIII is saying a 3" LCD the same size as the GRII but the LCD definitely looks larger than 3" from the images of the GRIII. It actually looks like it covers the entire raised area the LCD is set in on the GRII so it could be more like a 3.5" screen.

For a camera being released in 2019 there is plenty of time to make sure Ricoh uses UHS-II SD card bus. It makes no sense why Ricoh would not want to use UHS-II it makes their job so much easier. It will only allow Ricoh to produce a camera with the responsiveness users are looking for.

The DB-65 battery is small enough to make it slightly less inconvenient having to carry around an extra and separate type of battery. That said if Ricoh were to move to a different battery for the GRIII they should either make room for the D-LI90 or D-LI109.
Play on words with the title there.

Its 3:2 ratio now, not 4:3, smaller camera too, so this is the illusion you see.

---------- Post added 09-26-2018 at 09:07 AM ----------

I'm seeing some "new" people in here that seem to have never used the GR's or don't understand where they fit in the market. So I think it'd a good idea to sort of lead them in the right direction, it is easy to get lost when you don't understand the philosophy of the GR.

1. The Ricoh GR line is for enthusiast and professionals, but also makes a great beginner camera to learn photography with.
2. The GR line is not to be compared to any other line of cameras, they are unique, they are the best of fixed lens compacts and always have been.
3. The GR line prioritizes development of the still shooting experience over and above all else (so forget about video as a priority, there are many other cameras on the market for that, even compacts).
4. The GR line ergonomics and size are unrivaled, the pocket power of this camera is off the charts.
5. The only way to understand the GR is to use one to the point of getting used to it. Once you do, things become clear. Picking the camera apart based on pictures of it or specifications will not give you a true experience. Using, is believing.
6. If you haven't used a GR, sorry, GR owners will not respect most negative criticism of the camera. Again, you must use a GR to understand it.
7. The menu system is designed by photographers for photographers, and is the most comprehensive menu system out there that remains absolutely intuitive to use.

I will continually update my blog with more on the GR III until its release. Between Adam and the crew here, and myself on my blog, we've got you covered.

-Carl

---------- Post added 09-26-2018 at 09:09 AM ----------

I'm seeing some "new" people in here that seem to have never used the GR's or don't understand where they fit in the market. So I think it'd a good idea to sort of lead them in the right direction, it is easy to get lost when you don't understand the philosophy of the GR.

1. The Ricoh GR line is for enthusiast and professionals, but also makes a great beginner camera to learn photography with.
2. The GR line is not to be compared to any other line of cameras, they are unique, they are the best of fixed lens compacts and always have been.
3. The GR line prioritizes development of the still shooting experience over and above all else (so forget about video as a priority, there are many other cameras on the market for that, even compacts).
4. The GR line ergonomics and size are unrivaled, the pocket power of this camera is off the charts.
5. The only way to understand the GR is to use one to the point of getting used to it. Once you do, things become clear. Picking the camera apart based on pictures of it or specifications will not give you a true experience. Using, is believing.
6. If you haven't used a GR, sorry, GR owners will not respect most negative criticism of the camera. Again, you must use a GR to understand it.
7. The menu system is designed by photographers for photographers, and is the most comprehensive menu system out there that remains absolutely intuitive to use.

I will continually update my blog with more on the GR III until its release. Between Adam and the crew here, and myself on my blog, we've got you covered.

-Carl

Read more at: Ricoh GR III - Page 13 - PentaxForums.com

09-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #188
Banned

I can tell you that it certainly won't be the D-LI90 given it's size.

GRIII size 109 x 62 x 33
D-LI90 size 56 x 39 x 20

That is 20 % of the camera volume.
09-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I can tell you that it certainly won't be the D-LI90 given it's size.

GRIII size 109 x 62 x 33
D-LI90 size 56 x 39 x 20

That is 20 % of the camera volume.
One can dream RonHendriks1966. With a proper OLED touchscreen we don't need any of those buttons keypads and four way scroller wheels which might make enough room to squeeze in the D-LI90. Without all those buttons, wheels, and levers will make it that much easier to weatherproof.
09-26-2018, 09:39 AM   #190
Banned

One can dream RonHendriks1966. With a proper OLED touchscreen we don't need any of those buttons keypads and four way scroller wheels which might make enough room to squeeze in the D-LI90. Without all those buttons, wheels, and levers will make it that much easier to weatherproof.
Only one button on the camera......more then enough......install Siri so you can talk to your camera and give it instructions.
09-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #191
Veteran Member

I agree with Ron

Dream away, yes. But it will not be that battery
09-26-2018, 10:13 AM - 3 Likes   #192
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oh no, that's a terrible idea... Controls are among the best features of the GR II, more manual controls, not less imo. I'd rather NOT have touchscreen and get another Fn button.
09-26-2018, 10:15 AM   #193
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The good:
- Smaller size, great!
- PD focus is good.
- Probably better high-ISO performance - always good
- Higher resolution, not essential, but good.
- SR is good, I guess, but haven't really missed it.

The bad:
- Fewer physical buttons
- Still no WR. Not necessarily a deal-breaker if only they manage to keep the dust off the sensor
- Would be awesome with a flip-up screen (no lumpy twisty thing)

I believe the flash is still there - not on the mockup, but it is in the specs.

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Hmm, I wonder what I can get for a mint grII right now lol.. Gonna go look at ebay prices
I'm not sure the GRII will come down in price any time soon. Not that the III isn't going to be a great camera, but I'm probably not the only one who's not too eager to trade physical buttons for a touch screen.

Edit:
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
oh no, that's a terrible idea... Controls are among the best features of the GR II, more manual controls, not less imo. I'd rather NOT have touchscreen and get another Fn button.
Exactly
09-26-2018, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #194
Veteran Member

the GR was famous for its one-handed operation but even the best touchscreen requires a second. if the desire was to mainstream the GR they would leave the flash and auto mode on the dial...

the only benefit to reducing the controls on the industry’s best regarded ergonomic compact would be weather sealing...but then there would no need for a dust reduction system...

help, what’s their thinking here
09-26-2018, 10:18 AM   #195
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Play on words with the title there.

Its 3:2 ratio now, not 4:3, smaller camera too, so this is the illusion you see.

---------- Post added 09-26-2018 at 09:07 AM ----------

-Carl

---------- Post added 09-26-2018 at 09:09 AM ----------

-Carl

Read more at: Ricoh GR III - Page 13 - PentaxForums.com
It may be an illusion but there also may be a mix up in the screen dimensions. There is a size for TFT-LCD touch screens with a 3.2" diagonal length as well as being 3:2 aspect ratio.