Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #421
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
About that chip. I’v thought that it helps also general performance, because of that also AF.
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
For general performance you have a cpu. Accelerator chips are dedicated (hard wired) to a certain task that the cpu can only do through software.
As I understand it (on the K-1 II, at least) the chip may indirectly help AF by offloading the CPU so it has more capacity to use on the focusing algorithm. This might be only "Internet wisdom", but I think it sounds reasonable.

12-07-2018, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #422
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
As I understand it (on the K-1 II, at least) the chip may indirectly help AF by offloading the CPU so it has more capacity to use on the focusing algorithm. This might be only "Internet wisdom", but I think it sounds reasonable.
Problem with that reasoning is AF occurs before exposure and Noise Reduction occurs after exposure; I can see how "offloading" might work for video or burst shot AF after first frame, but not in general.
12-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #423
Pentaxian

But image processing occurs after exposure too.
12-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #424
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But image processing occurs after exposure too.
But autofocus happens before the exposure.

12-07-2018, 09:59 AM   #425
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
But autofocus happens before the exposure.
So it might help* for bursts and not for single frame shooting.

* I don't know, I'm discussing the possibility. This needs to be carefully measured by someone, anyone... as long as it's not me
12-07-2018, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #426
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Problem with that reasoning is AF occurs before exposure and Noise Reduction occurs after exposure; I can see how "offloading" might work for video or burst shot AF after first frame, but not in general.
Pentax AFS is normally as good as any other brands, Pentax AFC is less dynamic relative to other brands and that's where adding an image pre-processor helps freeing up some CPU time so that it's more responsive for AF tracking.
12-07-2018, 10:00 AM   #427
Veteran Member

The Accelerator Unit is welcome news. This should be the 4th Generation AU. The increased battery capacity is another bonus. It will be sad if they don't squeak in Pixel-Shift. Even sadder the GRIII is shaping up to be a worthwhile upgrade from the GRII but will still be hobbled if they stay with UHS-I. Doesn't matter how fast the rest of the system is or how gigantic they make the "buffer" if the data takes forever to write to storage.

Doesn't the Autofocus module have it's own CPU? It is definitely independent of the Prime CPU which the AU works with.

12-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #428
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Yes, if the chip indeed is only for noise reduction I'd say you're right. Unless there's some sort of reservation of CPU cycles - which I find very unlikely.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Pentax AFS is normally as good as any other brands, Pentax AFC is less dynamic relative to other brands and that's where adding an image pre-processor helps freeing up some CPU time so that it's more responsive for AF tracking.
Yes, the Pentax AF-S is really quite good. People tend to lump it in with the more pedestrian AF-C.

Not that the GR is meant to be a super action camera with high FPS and a deep buffer. At least the way I use it the current AF is already more than good enough. Snap focus works very well, too.

Last edited by savoche; 12-07-2018 at 11:54 AM.
12-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #429
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
For general performance you have a cpu. Accelerator chips are dedicated (hard wired) to a certain task that the cpu can only do through software. The one in the K70/KP/K1 II is for denoising. Other brands have dedicated accelerator chips for AF performance.
alright! yea I did chech it out and also looked high iso on that GR 100 K. so it is for that. it could give good ISO 10-20k with SR sounds like nice combination for more performance.
12-07-2018, 03:07 PM   #430
ogl
Banned

if 1/8 and 1/10 are 100% effectiveness with SR for GRIII it sounds very good. the users said that 1 seс is good result too. 2-5 stops are good news.

ISO100

1 sec and f2.8 mean approx. EV3
1/8 seс and f2.8 = EV6

EV3 Fireworks (with time exposure).
EV4 Candle lit close-ups. Christmas lights, floodlit buildings, fountains, and monuments. Subjects under bright street lamps.
EV5 Night home interiors, average light. School or church auditoriums. Subjects lit by campfires or bonfires.
EV6 Brightly lit home interiors at night. Fairs, amusement parks.

Last edited by ogl; 12-07-2018 at 03:22 PM.
12-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #431
Pentaxian

I know this may be a stupid question but some here said that they've experienced dust on the GR's sensor. How can that happened when it's a fixed lens camera? It's supposedly a closed system.
12-07-2018, 09:08 PM   #432
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I know this may be a stupid question but some here said that they've experienced dust on the GR's sensor. How can that happened when it's a fixed lens camera? It's supposedly a closed system.
No, it's not WR, the case isn't sealed.

And almost no compact from any brand is.

12-08-2018, 01:00 AM   #433
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The Accelerator Unit is welcome news. This should be the 4th Generation AU. The increased battery capacity is another bonus. It will be sad if they don't squeak in Pixel-Shift. Even sadder the GRIII is shaping up to be a worthwhile upgrade from the GRII but will still be hobbled if they stay with UHS-I. Doesn't matter how fast the rest of the system is or how gigantic they make the "buffer" if the data takes forever to write to storage.

Doesn't the Autofocus module have it's own CPU? It is definitely independent of the Prime CPU which the AU works with.

I've never felt my GR (I) to be hobbed un any way because of slow write speed to card.
Not as if the GR was made for action so I dont see the slightest problem.
12-08-2018, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #434
JPT
Pentaxian

The official GR Blog now has an article about the GR Night event in Japan. It's similar the other Japanese reports, but the product planners goes into why they decided to hold this event a few months ahead of the launch.

(Japanese) ?GR NIGHT????? ?????? | GR official | ??????????????
(negligé via Google) Google Translate
12-08-2018, 03:31 AM   #435
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I've never felt my GR (I) to be hobbed un any way because of slow write speed to card.
Not as if the GR was made for action so I dont see the slightest problem.
The GR III will have 2GB internal storage; I don't think write speed will be an issue.