Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It is very likely that the new image engine is the change that makes 14-bit possible while the older models are limited to 12-bit.
What I am saying is the GR should have never been limited to 12-bit regardless to the reason so it is welcome advance for the GRIII.

09-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn, I just bought grII a month ago lol. Oh well, maybe I'll get gr III and give grII to my sister, she was eyeballing it since I got
09-25-2018, 12:11 PM   #123
Veteran Member

And though photo comparisons aren't necessary, most of us are quite visual.
A comparison of the GRDIV and GR. The reduced size, even as slight as it is, truly makes a difference.
Attached Images

09-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Wow, it's even smaller! GRII is already tiny.. Anyone knows how much it'd cost?

09-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Wow, it's even smaller! GRII is already tiny.. Anyone knows how much it'd cost?
In the $800 ballpark is the best-guess consensus based on prior releases and the market currently.
09-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
In the $800 ballpark is the best-guess consensus based on prior releases and the market currently.
Hmm, I wonder what I can get for a mint grII right now lol.. Gonna go look at ebay prices
09-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #127
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
UHS-II would bring a more responsive camera. UHS-II would bring 4k video. UHS-II would bring better battery life.

Pixel-Shift and AstroTracer are not well off-message. There are plenty of tripod supports that can be put into a pocket that work with the GR. This Manfrotto Pocket support can be on the GR and still fit your pocket.
I agree ~85%, but despite what is written somewhere about the new GRIII hotshoe being compatible to P-TTL flashes, i doubt that somehow, since I believe to know that all the other GRs have a custom hotshoe that differs to those on PENTAX DSLRs...
->And since that is so... I guess the O-GPS1 will have a hard time talking to the GRIII
(and built-in GPS is nothing energy savy and i really dont need it.)
nor would I need pixelshift but i can understand why some would render it a useful thing to have... but you are totally right with UHS-II and 4K-Video Having 4K video and good burst rates in a ..in such a handy little fella would make so much more sense for a street photography tool...

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
your texts look like stream of consciousness
I write from the heart. Cant help it.

QuoteOriginally posted by tulon Quote
I can say that the weird lcd and leds come in handy quite a bit when trying to do stuff in the dark. In particular for astrophotography, though I know it's a rather nitch group of us, having a light to show you the lens mount is just bright enough to see your red dots... or the jack for your shutter goes, those can save you some frustration that you'd otherwise have. I understand it's not conditions a lot of photographers tend to find themselves in though.

We likely don't need any extra wheels at this point though.

I know, some people may make use of those LEDs, but before their introduction on the K-1 and the slightly different implementation on the D850 ... I was off quite well using a headtorch with red foil/film on it...
And i still do, since neither my photobag nor my lenses have built in LEDs.

09-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
If you look at stories coming out of Photokina, the Panasonic will be mentioned prominently ......Ricoh will be an after thought, if at all.
I've seen a lot of marketing wind from various companies, but none of it's got near to making me wobble on my feet, let alone get blown away.
09-25-2018, 12:35 PM - 4 Likes   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just posted a lil article about the GR III. More than a press release (for anyone interested). Some here are, some aren't, I get it. Next at bat is the Pentax branded stuff.
09-25-2018, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I've seen a lot of marketing wind from various companies, but none of it's got near to making me wobble on my feet, let alone get blown away.
This has nothing to do with my comment - unlike various other manufacturers, Ricoh has nothing "newsworthy" here, but they tried to manufacture news from nothing anyway.
09-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote

Some of us have big hearts and fast fingers.
Other have strained eyes.
Anyone can help it though; it's simply a brief proof-read for clarity before clicking "Submit Reply" and utilizing punctuation a bit more accurately.
(This isn't a dig, just an affirmation that I have had to re-read a few of your sentences more than twice to understand what was being said.)
09-25-2018, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

If you look at stories coming out of Photokina, the Panasonic will be mentioned prominently ......Ricoh will be an after thought, if at all.
Reh321, it really puzzles me that, despite a lot of appeasement and well balanced reality checks by some members here, some others still managed to hold unreasonable expectations and have to show their disappointment. Well, on the other hand, why should I be more surprised about that than about the fact that if I sit under an apple tree I might be hit by one fruit on my head eventually. *g*
09-25-2018, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
I just posted a lil article about the GR III. More than a press release (for anyone interested). Some here are, some aren't, I get it. Next at bat is the Pentax branded stuff.
A nice summation, Carl. I for one am happy to (now that sensor-cleaning is included) to trade WR for a size reduction that brings it in-line with past models.
All the other modernized bits are just gravy in my estimation --- it's the smaller size, dust preventative measures, and most notably, the re-addition of phase-detection that has me well onboard.

---------- Post added 09-25-18 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Reh321, it really puzzles me that, despite a lot of appeasement and well balanced reality checks by some members here, some others still managed to hold unreasonable expectations and have to show their disappointment. Well, on the other hand, why should I be more surprised about that than about the fact that if I sit under an apple tree I might be hit by one fruit on my head eventually. *g*
PF is a *ripe* environment for getting bonked.
09-25-2018, 01:08 PM - 2 Likes   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
I agree ~85%, but despite what is written somewhere about the new GRIII hotshoe being compatible to P-TTL flashes, i doubt that somehow, since I believe to know that all the other GRs have a custom hotshoe that differs to those on PENTAX DSLRs...
->And since that is so... I guess the O-GPS1 will have a hard time talking to the GRIII
(and built-in GPS is nothing energy savy and i really dont need it.)
nor would I need pixelshift but i can understand why some would render it a useful thing to have... but you are totally right with UHS-II and 4K-Video Having 4K video and good burst rates in a ..in such a handy little fella would make so much more sense for a street photography tool...

I know, some people may make use of those LEDs, but before their introduction on the K-1 and the slightly different implementation on the D850 ... I was off quite well using a headtorch with red foil/film on it...
And i still do, since neither my photobag nor my lenses have built in LEDs.
I think it is only a matter of Ricoh making the GRIII hotshoe compatible with the O-GPS-1 unit.

The GR works well for very close focus which is were Pixel-Shift would be nice to get the best and most out of the details. As would general landscape and cityscape images benefit from PS. If you want the finest detail nothing really beats PS.

I am not sure why people don't really understand the significance to staying with the much slower UHS-I bus instead of moving to UHS-II. It solves all kinds of limitations most especially at 24mp sensor size.

Ricoh shouldn't just move to UHS-II for the GRIII they should move to MicroSD to reduce size to help accommodate a larger battery.

One thing not mentioned is the Accelerator Unit. Let's hope the GRIII has the next generation AU.

---------- Post added 09-25-18 at 04:13 PM ----------

This has nothing to do with my comment - unlike various other manufacturers, Ricoh has nothing "newsworthy" here, but they tried to manufacture news from nothing anyway.
Ricoh officially announcing the coming GRIII isn't "newsworthy"? I am not so sure about that. It is plenty "newsworthy" in of itself. Adding IBIS to the GR and finally moving to 14-bit files is significant.
09-25-2018, 02:34 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

they tried to manufacture news from nothing anyway.
by not holding a press event, you mean?