Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 02:40 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The American accent sounds fake to me. Like a German or Dutchman is faking it.

09-25-2018, 02:41 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mannyquinto Quote
they will add it to the their future mirror-less cam.
Far into the future!
09-25-2018, 02:43 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I really want this. Looks as small as the GRD series. I’m sure this has some tech from Pentax in it, but there’s no way that camera has the Pentax magnetic SR in it. It must be a whole new smaller system. That could come back to Pentax DSLRs. A few months to get my finances in order.
I don't think so. If I understood it correctly it is 3way, the DSLR 5way? The Q had SR in a small package already, maybe this is a evolution of that.
Anyhow, I am amazed they could keep the size, no, even reduce it with this specs!

Last edited by MMVIII; 09-25-2018 at 02:50 AM.
09-25-2018, 02:46 AM   #64
Veteran Member

The size and specs looks great. Any ideas what price point can be expected?

09-25-2018, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #65

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the GRII ist still my favorite camera and the lens sensor combo is just fantastic. There is no better engineered compact camera around. Early 2019 for the GRIII? then there is enough time to start putting money aside :-) and the GRIII is slightly smaller? what else do you want? my only wishes are: better autofocus in low light and i hope the GRII accessories will fit on this lens too
09-25-2018, 02:58 AM - 1 Like   #66
Forum Member

No Viewfinder - No Deal.
... Thats my guideline for buying compact cameras and why I chose an RX100V(to ride along with my PENTAX DSLR gear)
until a used RX1R II becomes more affordable.

OK, I see they want to make a moveable LCD... but let's see if that makes it into the production... (The K-1 prototypes also had NFC.... and now... NO NFC in K-1)...

To me it seems like RICOH always thinks they can live off some hype...
see:
K-1(hyped for a reason) -> K-1II(lives off the hype of the former product and IMHO with its donkey-move-coprocessor it even ruined the IQ of the predecessor)
K-3(hyped for a reason) -> K-3II(lives off the hype of the former product)
GR(hyped for a reason) -> GRII(lives off the hype of the former product)-> GRIII(lives off the hype of the product t'was before former product)

But looking at their sales numbers per year ... they should have already get the idea that only REAL UPGRADES and major introductions will carry new users and more consumers to their products...
look at

2016(K-1)

2013-14(K-3 AND GR)

A tilt&swivel display in combo with 4k video-recording could have made it a desirable product for vloggers too...
...but keeping it at mere FHD(while THETA V and WG-M2 already offer 4k) doesnt seem very wise to me also...FHD at 60p sounds like poke-joke, lookin at others already introducing 4k at 60p or more.

Lets just hope they dont try to do that with an APS-C DSLR flagship successor...
...otherwise I'll jump ship, even though I have been holding on to PENTAX loyally for about 20 years. - If they dont step up now... i'am fed up!

of course finally introducing weather resistancy(sealings) in a high quality digital compact would compensate against its feature-upgrade-resistancy.

Last edited by H.Abendsen; 09-25-2018 at 03:03 AM. Reason: addendum
09-25-2018, 02:59 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Hybrid AF (Image plane phase-matching and Contrast detection) (A 1st for Pentax)
A new "Highlight-weighted " metering
Touchscreen
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Come out in the K-70 originally But if the GRIII uses it for stills, it would be a first.
This is huge for me. Adam, is there a marked difference between 'image plane phase-matching' and simple 'phase detection.
The GRDIII and IV had hybrid AF with phase and contrast detection and has always been my biggest beef with the APS-C models...
So this is huge for my money - quite literally the only thing that held it back (the newer models). The older ones can focus in the near-black.

Touchscreen honestly worries me. I'm not particularly interested in it and a potential battery life hit gives me pause.
Other than that all thumbs up.

09-25-2018, 02:59 AM - 2 Likes   #68
Veteran Member

When you know what Panasonic release (in 30 min or so), this will be like a very small fart in a hurricane.
09-25-2018, 03:01 AM   #69
Pentaxian

4k was a step too far. But full hd 60p is better than anything Pentax up until now (hd 60p or full hd 60i) They incorporated Pentax sr. and put in a new sensor with pdaf (hopefully not as perfunctory as in the K-70 where they might as well have left it out). Touchscreen and articulating is a good development. Hopefully they can still stuff it all into the same small package. The fact that they are pre-announcing it means there won't be anything else new at Photokina. Just stuff we already know about.
09-25-2018, 03:02 AM - 1 Like   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
When you know what Panasonic release (in 30 min or so), this will be like a very small fart in a hurricane.
Lol. We miss you Ken \m/
09-25-2018, 03:03 AM - 6 Likes   #71

i am guessing a FF mirrorless from Panasonic with the new discussed mount? who needs another FF brick when you can take the small fart everywhere :-)
09-25-2018, 03:04 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote

To me it seems like RICOH always thinks they can live off some hype...
see:
K-1(hyped for a reason) -> K-1II(lives off the hype of the former product and IMHO with its donkey-move-coprocessor it even ruined the IQ of the predecessor)
K-3(hyped for a reason) -> K-3II(lives off the hype of the former product)
GR(hyped for a reason) -> GRII(lives off the hype of the former product)-> GRIII(lives off the hype of the product t'was before former product)
[/B]
The GR series has *always* released minor refinement models between each subsequent *major* release, the GRII having been such a model, as was the GRDIV that preceded the GR. The upcoming GRIII will be a major release and is receiving a fair bit of marketing, as they always have.
09-25-2018, 03:04 AM - 1 Like   #73
Veteran Member

So what. I'm Fartman! Behold!
09-25-2018, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #74
Forum Member

are you talking about the L-mount alliance? I dont feel any heat coming from such a thing.
09-25-2018, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
No Viewfinder - No Deal.
... Thats my guideline for buying compact cameras and why I chose an RX100V(to ride along with my PENTAX DSLR gear)
until a used RX1R II becomes more affordable.

[/B][/U]
i suggest you watch the youtube video do understand the GR concept. Yes it is not a RX100..and yes, they still cant fit the viewfinder with keeping the size small..it is now even smaller then the GRII. It can be sure better fitted in your jeans pocket then the RX100 and kicks the butt of the sony lens/sensor