Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
they tried to manufacture news from nothing anyway.
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
by not holding a press event, you mean?
No, by orchestrating a lot of fake interest in their non-announcement - lots of us talking about it, generating 'buzz', even though it turned out that we had absolutely no interest in it.

09-25-2018, 03:06 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hope it comes out before my trip in March. Doubtful, but I’m hoping. Looks to be a near perfect travel camera.
09-25-2018, 03:16 PM - 5 Likes   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...it turned out that we had absolutely no interest in it.
I think you're confusing 'we' and 'I'.
09-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
I think you're confusing 'we' and 'I'.
Based on what was said by the participants, I am quite sure I'm not the only one.

09-25-2018, 03:22 PM   #140
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Hope it comes out before my trip in March. Doubtful, but I’m hoping. Looks to be a near perfect travel camera.
I'm weighing up either getting a GRII now or waiting for the GRIII. Personally I'm hoping for some good deals to crop up soon to clear the GRII stock...buy and use a while, then trade in once the GRIII comes down off its launch price a little.
09-25-2018, 03:24 PM   #141
Veteran Member

I decided to go ahead and sell the GR II, gonna lose some on it, but the specs for GR III look too good to pass up. If anyone interested in a like-new GR II, send me a pm
09-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #142

Here is a reality-check for people who hide their disappointement behind the "wow, looks it's so small, so cute, take my money" attitude.

Know what that is? No this aint the new flag of North Korea.

This is the area difference between a GR2 and a GR3.

117.0 mm (W) × 62.8 mm (H) × 34.7 mm
109.4mm (W)×61.9 mm (H)×33.2(D)mm

For such a technical achievement, the LCD resolution is down from 1.2Mpxls to 1, and you lose the internal flash (will you plug the hotshoe with a flash or an external viewfinder)?

I am not overly angry with the specs, because I am not even sure Ricoh teams are actually at the drawing board. So it is not that surprising if the specified dimensions do not match the picture in the press release, and that the text says "the RICOH GR II is a totally new breed of GR camera", but the specs show "nay, almost the same".

Lens, sensor and image processor are being redesigned, and Ricoh is waiting for user inputs. max ISO, battery life and price are yet to determined.
Since when does Ricoh design their sensors?

But pleeease stay, because it will be available "early 2019", or "Spring 2019" as Ricoh Japan prefers to state.

As pointed by Waltom on dpreview it seems Ricoh does not even know what the GRiii will be like.

The Last GR: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

09-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regular67 Quote
Here is a reality-check for people who hide their disappointement behind the "wow, looks it's so small, so cute, take my money" attitude.

For such a technical achievement, the LCD resolution is down from 1.2Mpxls to 1, and you lose the internal flash (will you plug the hotshoe with a flash or an external viewfinder)?

I am not overly angry with the specs, because I am not even sure Ricoh teams are actually at the drawing board. So it is not that surprising if the specified dimensions do not match the picture in the press release, and that the text says "the RICOH GR II is a totally new breed of GR camera", but the specs show "nay, almost the same".

Lens, sensor and image processor are being redesigned, and Ricoh is waiting for user inputs. max ISO, battery life and price are yet to determined.

But pleeease stay, because it will be available "early 2019", or "Spring 2019" as Ricoh Japan prefers to state.

As pointed by Waltom on dpreview it seems Ricoh does not even know what the GRiii will be like.

Whos' Waltom. The upgrades look good, the stabilization alone would be worth it for me personally. Plus the new sensor. Didn't realize there was no flash, it's a bummer, but I didn't use it that much, so improvements in other areas are more important to me.
09-25-2018, 04:23 PM - 4 Likes   #144
JPT
Pentaxian

Almost every spec on the GRIII is improved over the GRII. And the spec list is quite specific, so I have no doubt these features are locked in.

Regarding the size, the GR feels noticeably bigger than the GRD models the preceded it. This is back to the GRD dimensions so it will be noticeable. Compactness is not a side issue with the GR; it’s a key characteristic.

The extra pixels on the GRII were additional white ones to brighten up the image. They did not increase the overall resolution. So if this has a newer screen, it is most likely superior, and it is a touch screen too.

Another poster claimed that the GR has a non-standard hot shoe. The GR series has always had a standard sized hot shoe. Since the GRII it has supported the Pentax flash system.

I’m probably one of the “ take my money” people. Fortunately, I’ll be able to try before I buy. In any case, I don’t trust any websites to review Ricoh cameras fairly and promptly, so I’ll trust my own judgement.
09-25-2018, 04:33 PM - 8 Likes   #145

Wow, the butthurt is strong on this thread.

Great to know Ricoh is supporting the GR family and introducing a new model.

I don't understand the people who feels shortchanged by Ricoh's product launch (or the lack), as if Ricoh has an obligation to meet those people expectations.
There're many brands who can fulfill your needs, there is no reason to rub your dissatisfaction in our faces.
I couldn't care less nor understand guys who have to constantly moan about the slow product release and have to yell their angry here. PLEASE, if Ricoh/Pentax doesn't meet your needs, go ahead and jump ship but leave us alone enjoying the strenghts we like about the Pentax gear.

Thanks
09-25-2018, 04:47 PM - 3 Likes   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote

I don't understand the people who feels shortchanged by Ricoh's product launch (or the lack), as if Ricoh has an obligation to meet those people expectations.
There're many brands who can fulfill your needs, there is no reason to rub your dissatisfaction in our faces.
I couldn't care less nor understand guys who have to constantly moan about the slow product release and have to yell their angry here. PLEASE, if Ricoh/Pentax doesn't meet your needs, go ahead and jump ship but leave us alone enjoying the strenghts we like about the Pentax gear.

Thanks
The West has never been where the GR series did best, aside from the near-cult following it's always garnered here. That has grown a bit since Ricoh enveloped Pentax. It also increases the GR (and other Ricoh cameras) visibility, particularly in a place like PF here and elicits comparisons (design sensibilities and otherwise) between those traditional Ricoh model lines and those of Pentax. It isn't all that surprising. And really, there's always more than an unhealthy smattering of 'moan" around the PF. It's a public forum and folks like to wax on, positively or negatively (or aimlessly, as I'm now doing). It's really neither here nor there.

One thing that *is* very clear is the lack of understanding around the specific design philosophy this particular line of camera has *always* held. In each thread regarding the line, here or in the compact subforum, there are numerous opinions that go toward the many ways folks might want to add to or change the current or next to-be-released model, more often than not the sum total of which is drifting away from that design philosophy and toward just-another-camera.
That's my take at any rate.
The GR will never sweep the nation, but it will always have a core of buyers, providing the philosophy remains intact.
09-25-2018, 05:05 PM - 7 Likes   #147
Pentaxian

I'm sorry, but this post exhibits an attitude I have a hard time to let pass without an answer.
Now you made a fresh account here to tell everyone that does not whine and act disappointed that he needs a reality check or is just hiding its disappointment behind some fake excitement? Seriously?

In my job I have used several GRs in the last years. Especially because of its characteristics of sharp, well corrected lens with good sensor in a small and lightweight body with lots of well thought out possibilities for settigs that suited generations of photographers for very special purposes. Mainly street photography with snap focus etc. In the case of my job I used it on a pole or even a kite to take thousands of pictures that where used for photogrammetry and image based modelling. That is a very special application and I will never expect others to have the same prerequisites but there are reasons why the concept of the GR is the GR and many of the of them are something a group of users is looking for. For my special application I recommended this camera to a lot of colleagues and I know of or have been involved in the aquisition of at least 8 GR cameras in the last three years after my suggestion.

This new model keeps exactly this virtues. It would not have been necessary, I wouldn't have complained if it would have become heavier and thus unusable for my special purposes, I don't expect any consumer goods manufacturer to consider this field.
But they delivered, at least what is known know and presuming the qualities of the lens are at least equal.
And obviously it delivers also for a broader group of users, still not everybody, but many appreciate what has been presented.

And I can only repeat: if you don't like what the GR, now for generations, has to offer, just get something that suits YOUR needs, but don't try to order others to share your misery!

Maybe Ricoh may bring something that is closer to your needs, additionally. Or someone else has it - then just get it! But don't try to insult people who express their joy with this special offer.
Thank you very much.
09-25-2018, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gianclaudio Quote

I feel short-changed by the statement
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
it's not going to be some lame point and shoot camera
when you look at the cameras still being developed, this is as close to that as you're going to see.

The one advantage to this I see is that it shows Ricoh really is ignorant of the importance of a viewfinder.
09-25-2018, 05:49 PM   #149
Veteran Member

I feel short-changed by the statement
when you look at the cameras still being developed, this is as close to that as you're going to see.

The one advantage to this I see is that it shows Ricoh really is ignorant of the importance of a viewfinder.
It really isn't important on this particular model. You don't even have to look at the screen most of the time with snapfocus, just need to get used to the fov, and frame shots from the hip. At least that's how many street photographers use it, and that feature makes it a truly stealthy street camera
09-25-2018, 06:15 PM - 4 Likes   #150
JPT
Pentaxian

Ricoh markets two viewfinders for the GR, both of which are superior to the tunnel-like thing that used to be built in to the film GRs. It was only ever there because in the film days that was the only way to frame.

I find that with a fixed focal you soon learn to know what will be in the frame. With snap focus, you can almost shoot blind with a GR.

And lame is entirely subjective. I wasn’t even slightly tempted by the K-1 for myself, but I don’t go around saying it’s lame.