Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2018, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

The one advantage to this I see is that it shows Ricoh really is ignorant of the importance of a viewfinder.
I have to disagree. While on the one hand I would never bemoan the addition of a viewfinder simply because they're nice to use and it would hearken back to the early days.
But the reality is that the GR philosophy (of minimalism with control) in many way precludes the addition of a viewfinder because it really *is* unnecessary and not all that important to the function of the camera in this iteration. A total of zero digital GR models have included it. For the film era models a viewfinder was obviously essential, but that no longer is true.

---------- Post added 09-25-18 at 06:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Ricoh markets two viewfinders for the GR, both of which are superior to the tunnel-like thing that used to be built in to the film GRs. It was only ever there because in the film days that was the only way to frame.

I find that with a fixed focal you soon learn to know what will be in the frame. With snap focus, you can almost shoot blind with a GR.

And lame is entirely subjective. I wasn’t even slightly tempted by the K-1 for myself, but I don’t go around saying it’s lame.
Also what JPT said. (oops)

09-25-2018, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #152
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I have to disagree. While on the one hand I would never bemoan the addition of a viewfinder simply because they're nice to use and it would hearken back to the early days.
But the reality is that the GR philosophy (of minimalism with control) in many way precludes the addition of a viewfinder because it really *is* unnecessary and not all that important to the function of the camera in this iteration. A total of zero digital GR models have included it. For the film era models a viewfinder was obviously essential, but that no longer is true.
Minimal control over framing. That really does sound like "lame point-and-shoot". I have nothing more to say here ..... your words have made my point. [unsubscribe]
09-25-2018, 06:56 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Oh snap, he slammed the door behind him how rude
09-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Oh snap, he slammed the door behind him how rude
I was oblivious that this was some sort of heated debate. :shrug: (sorry.... um... bye...)

09-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #155
ogl
Banned

Friends, the final camera will be only on March, 2019. I doubt that Ricoh will do nothing with camera for next 5 months. Some features could be added,
no in-camera flash or no EVF are not problem at all. As I know GRIII will bring some new accessories.

I never used EVF with my GXR + 18/2.8 module. Believe me - no need. I use EVF with 50/2.5 macro - but very rare.
09-25-2018, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #156
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I'm sorry, but this post exhibits an attitude I have a hard time to let pass without an answer.
Now you made a fresh account here to tell everyone that does not whine and act disappointed that he needs a reality check or is just hiding its disappointment behind some fake excitement? Seriously?

In my job I have used several GRs in the last years. Especially because of its characteristics of sharp, well corrected lens with good sensor in a small and lightweight body with lots of well thought out possibilities for settigs that suited generations of photographers for very special purposes. Mainly street photography with snap focus etc. In the case of my job I used it on a pole or even a kite to take thousands of pictures that where used for photogrammetry and image based modelling. That is a very special application and I will never expect others to have the same prerequisites but there are reasons why the concept of the GR is the GR and many of the of them are something a group of users is looking for. For my special application I recommended this camera to a lot of colleagues and I know of or have been involved in the aquisition of at least 8 GR cameras in the last three years after my suggestion.

This new model keeps exactly this virtues. It would not have been necessary, I wouldn't have complained if it would have become heavier and thus unusable for my special purposes, I don't expect any consumer goods manufacturer to consider this field.
But they delivered, at least what is known know and presuming the qualities of the lens are at least equal.
And obviously it delivers also for a broader group of users, still not everybody, but many appreciate what has been presented.

And I can only repeat: if you don't like what the GR, now for generations, has to offer, just get something that suits YOUR needs, but don't try to order others to share your misery!

Maybe Ricoh may bring something that is closer to your needs, additionally. Or someone else has it - then just get it! But don't try to insult people who express their joy with this special offer.
Thank you very much.
Well, 99% of the time, the GR completely replaced my k-5.
It is that good (and more).
09-25-2018, 08:01 PM - 3 Likes   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Three really good things about the new GR III- It's size is nearly the same as the GR DIGITAL IV, it's got 2GB built in memory (actually useful!), and dust reduction on the sensor. Next up in priority are its image stabilization, improved macro capability, and high speed hybrid AF. It's going to be smaller, faster, and more versatile than ever. I'm really stoked. I'll be putting out more info about the camera as I acquire more experiences.

09-26-2018, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #158
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Well, 99% of the time, the GR completely replaced my k-5.
It is that good (and more).
Same story here. I should have sold the K-5 (and Limiteds…) a long time ago. I'm glad they keep the GR line.
09-26-2018, 02:28 AM   #159
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
it's got 2GB built in memory (actually useful!)
BTW, what are the benefits of having 2GB built in memory In a camera? Is this for storing files?
09-26-2018, 02:41 AM   #160
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
BTW, what are the benefits of having 2GB built in memory In a camera? Is this for storing files?
Usable camera without memory card
09-26-2018, 03:12 AM   #161

I like all I saw in this video

I rented a GR as a second camera for event work in reportage style. I have to say this little thing is for the professional or very very dedicated photographer. The menus alone take some time to master. It needs a refined shooting technique. Most hobbyists are not cappable to get good results out of it.

This is not a camera for everybody. So 4k and other secondary features are not important.

Improved AF and a contemporary sensor are all welcome if Ricoh does not mess up with the core feature: Responsiveness.

BTW The Fuji XF10 seems to be not a serious competition (that´s what reviews say). To much shutter lag and lacking responsiveness for reportage work.
09-26-2018, 03:16 AM   #162
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Viennese Quote
I rented a GR as a second camera for event work in reportage style. I have to say this little thing is for the professional or very very dedicated photographer. The menus alone take some time to master. It needs a refined shooting technique. Most hobbyists are not cappable to get good results out of it.

This is not a camera for everybody. So 4k and other secondary features are not important.

Improved AF and a contemporary sensor are all welcome if Ricoh does not mess up with the core feature: Responsiveness.

BTW The Fuji XF10 seems to be not a serious competition (that´s what reviews say). To much shutter lag and lacking responsiveness for reportage work.
actually... WRONG. I found it one of the easiest cameras to deal with... and i can imagine shooting with such a camera without a VIEWFINDER must feel even more at home if you come from Smartphone photography and it even has snap focus...
So you dont have to worry about where you want to have your focus...

What i dont understand is the criticism on the missing EVF...
because a viewfinder ? not really necessary... because its a fixed focal length... your brains or a hotshoe OVF should do.
BTW... lol those viewfinders are on the market for a good while now... they are called GV-1 and GV-2 AFAIR... )

What i think the camera misses the most, would be better video features ...

Add 4K with a tilt'n'swivel display to that handy little thingy and all the vloggers would buy the whole first production in a few weeks off the market...

I am convinced overall its a real good upgrade and 60p@FullHD IS a step up... but its a babystep compared to the fact that the new cameras from Panasonic are rumoured to bring 8K Video@24fps via firmware update in 2020...(Olympia 1st real Sports event that will get delivered in 8K ->> Japan )

I mean, a "pocketable" APS-C compact with 4k video and a 28mm euqiv. lens f:2.8 ... which vlogger would not want to have that???
And that is what RICOH-Imaging seems to be missing... the trends that would attract new users.

But there is no doubt, that it will be a real great performer and at ISO 800 and above it will deliver remarkably better results than a Sony RX100IV,V,VI...there is no question about that.

but nonetheless, i again want to note, that it really is(or could be) in direct competition to the kinds of RX100, FZ100

...and in terms of image quality, the RICOH GRIII will eat its competitors ALIVE...

but when it comes to the "whole package" point of view...

it may look a bit naked,

compared to the RX100 and FZ100(TZ101) which all boast, superfast burst shooting..., 4k Video and slow-motion video functions...

and if you say "wait ... but the image quality..." - man... i would say a non-sealed compact M43-body with a pancake lens comes very very close to the size of the GR...
and to its image quality...
take for instance.... the Panasonic GX800 with the !ZOOM! pseudo-pancake 12-32mm...
even a GX-9 incl. 12-32 is only 1cm larger in each dimension than a GRII with the fixed lens out in steady position...

all this is not meant to bash the GRIII before its born...

Its just sayin that if there is still time to "crowd in" 4k VIDEO+slow-motion (and maybe UHS-II) they really should do it...
(with those features a camera like that would feel so at home at skateparks and other urban sports courts... also)
Because its better to think bigger and be 2 steps ahead, instead of thinking its enough to step up just till "catch up", while all the other actually make 2 steps forward, when you think you would "catch up"...
(weather sealing on a GR will stay a dream for 2 more generations at least, i guess.)

Last edited by H.Abendsen; 09-26-2018 at 03:23 AM.
09-26-2018, 03:41 AM - 4 Likes   #163
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 03:42 AM ----------

09-26-2018, 03:43 AM   #164

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
actually... WRONG. I found it one of the easiest cameras to deal with... and i can imagine shooting with such a camera without a VIEWFINDER must feel even more at home if you come from Smartphone photography and it even has snap focus...
So you dont have to worry about where you want to have your focus...

What i dont understand is the criticism on the missing EVF...
because a viewfinder ? not really necessary... because its a fixed focal length... your brains or a hotshoe OVF should do.
BTW... lol those viewfinders are on the market for a good while now... they are called GV-1 and GV-2 AFAIR... )

What i think the camera misses the most, would be better video features ...

Add 4K with a tilt'n'swivel display to that handy little thingy and all the vloggers would buy the whole first production in a few weeks off the market...

I am convinced overall its a real good upgrade and 60p@FullHD IS a step up... but its a babystep compared to the fact that the new cameras from Panasonic are rumoured to bring 8K Video@24fps via firmware update in 2020...(Olympia 1st real Sports event that will get delivered in 8K ->> Japan )

I mean, a "pocketable" APS-C compact with 4k video and a 28mm euqiv. lens f:2.8 ... which vlogger would not want to have that???
And that is what RICOH-Imaging seems to be missing... the trends that would attract new users.

But there is no doubt, that it will be a real great performer and at ISO 800 and above it will deliver remarkably better results than a Sony RX100IV,V,VI...there is no question about that.

but nonetheless, i again want to note, that it really is(or could be) in direct competition to the kinds of RX100, FZ100

...and in terms of image quality, the RICOH GRIII will eat its competitors ALIVE...

but when it comes to the "whole package" point of view...

it may look a bit naked,

compared to the RX100 and FZ100(TZ101) which all boast, superfast burst shooting..., 4k Video and slow-motion video functions...

and if you say "wait ... but the image quality..." - man... i would say a non-sealed compact M43-body with a pancake lens comes very very close to the size of the GR...
and to its image quality...
take for instance.... the Panasonic GX800 with the !ZOOM! pseudo-pancake 12-32mm...
even a GX-9 incl. 12-32 is only 1cm larger in each dimension than a GRII with the fixed lens out in steady position...

all this is not meant to bash the GRIII before its born...

Its just sayin that if there is still time to "crowd in" 4k VIDEO+slow-motion (and maybe UHS-II) they really should do it...
(with those features a camera like that would feel so at home at skateparks and other urban sports courts... also)
Because its better to think bigger and be 2 steps ahead, instead of thinking its enough to step up just till "catch up", while all the other actually make 2 steps forward, when you think you would "catch up"...
(weather sealing on a GR will stay a dream for 2 more generations at least, i guess.)
i agree with the innovations you are mentioning.. though you are talking about a new product. The GRiii is supposed to be minimalistic and clean. All the video features dont fit in this little body and would change the ergonomics dramatically.. you think they can squeeze the 4k features in a small body like this? what about overheating? i am just saying..
The GRiii is not supposed to be the most practical-allround-zoom camera..but it is unique and the best in its class for handling, quality, stealth.. the efforts for creatiing a ricoh GR with zoom have not succeeded in the past..and will probably not succeed if they tried, because of the competition and ricohs slow development.

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote

---------- Post added 09-26-18 at 03:42 AM ----------

wow! what a monster display! thanks for the photos OoKU muss appreciated
09-26-2018, 03:51 AM   #165
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote

Ha-ha...

I don't record video at all, for example. 4K or FHD - I don't care. I'm not alone.

Tilt LCD add weight and size. It's no need for 18 mm. Absurd thing for so small camera.
4K requires more powerful CPU and it affects the power consumption and size of camera.
Don't you understand so simple things?

Last edited by ogl; 09-26-2018 at 03:57 AM.