Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #241

I read that the touch screen function was added so that the newer cellphone generation can easily adapt to the use of the griii. In a way this model is trying to attract new users who grew up taking photos using the cellphone. That will also explain why the grii will still remain and available for old farts accustomed to switches.

09-27-2018, 07:29 AM - 2 Likes   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Decision already made for me. A £50 discount on top of the usual price cut at Wex made the GRII £509 and that clinched it. GRII on the way now, and will be traded in when the GRIII eventually lands. As of now the cheapest used GRII on fleabay is £459, so £50 got me a new one with a warranty.
09-27-2018, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #243
Pentaxian

It's tough to comment on the GR series if you've never used one. The GR is a niche camera because of the fixed lens and ultra-compact size. It's not intended as an all-purpose camera. Comparisons to DSLRs, smartphones, and point&shoots should keep that in mind.

I'll reserve judgement on the changes. I'm curious how the new sensor does at medium to high ISO. Image stabilization is a big surprise, and the associated dust removal is very welcome. User interface changes are impossible to assess without a hands-on review and that's months away.

The GR3 is an evolution. I'm sure it will continue to be great for street photography and as a 2nd body paired with a DSLR.
09-27-2018, 08:05 AM   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Decision already made for me. A £50 discount on top of the usual price cut at Wex made the GRII £509 and that clinched it. GRII on the way now, and will be traded in when the GRIII eventually lands. As of now the cheapest used GRII on fleabay is £459, so £50 got me a new one with a warranty.
Nice, show us pictures from it. You could have had it for £470 with the Pentax summer discounts. Or for £380, had you waited for Mid-to-end-November 2018 from Amazon.

Attached Images

09-27-2018, 08:13 AM - 4 Likes   #245
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
Nice, show us pictures from it. You could have had it for £470 with the Pentax summer discounts. Or for £380, had you waited for Mid-to-end-November 2018 from Amazon.
I like supporting Wex. They're a British company that pays its share of tax and they support Pentax well. If we all bought from Amazon, Wex (and SRS and most others) would be gone, because they just can't compete with a corporation that doesn't have a tax overhead...and that would be a sad day.

I am also impatient.

I feel good though, because I nearly pulled the trigger yesterday!
09-27-2018, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #246
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woke up this morning, my GR II is sold shipping it out tomorrow, and waiting till march to get the GRIII
09-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #247
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Woke up this morning, my GR II is sold shipping it out tomorrow, and waiting till march to get the GRIII
I had a GRDIII and GR1s (film variety) for many years, both of which were sold. Currently I have a GR (1st aps-c model) and a GRDIV that I'm still struggling to part with. I'm sure I will part with one or perhaps both if I purchase and like the GRIII, but can't bring myself to do so ahead of time. The GRDIV is has the rare factory installed woodgrain handle grip and is just too purdy to let go, though it is tempting.

09-27-2018, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #248
Pentaxian

It's clear that sticking to a concept like the GR means making a lot of very hard choices regarding what goes in and what doesn't.
Making the lens lighter (less glass) because of the SR sound like a dangerous move! I would have hoped they would only ever change the lens if they managed to make a better one.
09-27-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It's clear that sticking to a concept like the GR means making a lot of very hard choices regarding what goes in and what doesn't.
Making the lens lighter (less glass) because of the SR sound like a dangerous move! I would have hoped they would only ever change the lens if they managed to make a better one.
I imagine, given the heaps of criticism regarding dust intrusion in the two previous models it was simply a matter of how to implement changes that would address that issue. I would imagine that both measures, WR and IBIS with sensor-cleaning would lead to a a lens redesign as well as slightly enlarging the body, which really wouldn't be acceptable from the line's design philosophy. Then it becomes a matter of which option best addresses it and with the larger amount of peripheral benefits. This is conjecture obviously, but designing a way to address dust while shrinking the overall size certainly seems like a thumbs-up in "GR" terms.
09-27-2018, 11:57 AM - 2 Likes   #250
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I get that they had to add a touch screen, I hope you have the option to turn it off. 6 years ago I had an olympus XZ2 (nice camera!), it had a touch screen. I never used it, except for playback. For a serious photographer, I don't think it's very useful. Shutter button, some controls, done.
09-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #251
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
One theory behind the GR3's lens modification is for faster focus.
09-27-2018, 12:42 PM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I had a GRDIII and GR1s (film variety) for many years, both of which were sold. Currently I have a GR (1st aps-c model) and a GRDIV that I'm still struggling to part with. I'm sure I will part with one or perhaps both if I purchase and like the GRIII, but can't bring myself to do so ahead of time. The GRDIV is has the rare factory installed woodgrain handle grip and is just too purdy to let go, though it is tempting.
I have my doubts as well, I really like the control scheme of the GRII, but the new tech in GRIII won me over in the end) SR is a dream come true, camera is so small and light, i could get sharp shots at like 1/15, hopefully with SR it'll be even easier. I really like night time street photography, so shooting in the dark is quite important to me. Hopefully GRIII lens is as good as the GRII (not sure it can be better, the lens on that thing is spectacular). Does anyone know, is the GRIII sensor same one as in KP? If it is, then high iso should be very very good
09-27-2018, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #253
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
It's tough to comment on the GR series if you've never used one. The GR is a niche camera because of the fixed lens and ultra-compact size. It's not intended as an all-purpose camera. Comparisons to DSLRs, smartphones, and point&shoots should keep that in mind.
So true. I didn't really know what I bought when I got my GR. I thought I did, but I was wrong. It's a very different beast from both my phone and my DSLRs. You really have to use it to understand.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'll reserve judgement on the changes. I'm curious how the new sensor does at medium to high ISO. Image stabilization is a big surprise, and the associated dust removal is very welcome. User interface changes are impossible to assess without a hands-on review and that's months away.

The GR3 is an evolution. I'm sure it will continue to be great for street photography and as a 2nd body paired with a DSLR.
Sound advice. The GR has so many brilliant little details that it would be stupid to write off the new interface until we see how it is made. I'm still skeptical, but time will show.

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Wow, that was quick My old GR is not going anywhere until I have a replacement in hand - and I'm in no hurry.
09-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #254
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
So true. I didn't really know what I bought when I got my GR. I thought I did, but I was wrong. It's a very different beast from both my phone and my DSLRs. You really have to use it to understand.

Sound advice. The GR has so many brilliant little details that it would be stupid to write off the new interface until we see how it is made. I'm still skeptical, but time will show.

Wow, that was quick My old GR is not going anywhere until I have a replacement in hand - and I'm in no hurry.
Figured a mint grII will sell quicker and is of higher value than one that is 8-10 months by the time grII shows up. In the meantime I'll use the K-1)
09-27-2018, 09:32 PM - 3 Likes   #255
ogl
Banned

The new control doesn't mean bad control. It's different. We can understand it when we try to use new GRIII.
I know that lot of people like rather complex control with many duplication of GXR. As for me, the user interface of GXR is the most complex I ever seen.
I can't say I like it.
I welcome such work of software's developers...But I prefer simpler control.
Too much customizing is good and no good at the same time. When you use several cameras, it's easy to forget your adjustments sometimes.