Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 12:01 AM   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
Phones are becoming larger and larger now, not good for one hand and taking snaps at all.
I was thinking just that - phones are just too big and cumbersome - people want something smaller and more pocketable for photography!

09-28-2018, 01:14 AM   #257
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I was thinking just that - phones are just too big and cumbersome - people want something smaller and more pocketable for photography!
APS-C and FF pocketable cameras are the new "wearables" and smartphone companions of the future.
09-28-2018, 02:25 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I get that they had to add a touch screen, I hope you have the option to turn it off. 6 years ago I had an olympus XZ2 (nice camera!), it had a touch screen. I never used it, except for playback. For a serious photographer, I don't think it's very useful. Shutter button, some controls, done.
Touch screens have progressed a bit since. The one on my Panasonic TZ100 is actually useful, being able to set focus and exposure by simply tapping a point on the display makes things much easier than fiddling with cursor buttons. Not to mention menu selection.

The GRIII is too little and too late for a pocketable camera. Lack of a zoom lens shows its stone age origins - optical zoom is just about the only thing mobile phones can't do and is a major selling point.
09-28-2018, 02:32 AM - 2 Likes   #259
Pentaxian

Yet another who doesn't get the GR, and is blaming the camera for that.

09-28-2018, 03:00 AM - 4 Likes   #260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't understand the negatives in these threads. Personally I'm sticking with K mount cameras and camera gear (saving for the DFA *85 right now), but there are plenty of folks out there who are interested in this sort of camera. You won't find a smaller, more compact APS-C camera body out there. The addition of SR is impressive and with a tilt screen you can use it as waist level viewfinder. Could it be compared to a smart phone? Well only in terms of size. As far as ergonomics it will be better as there will be an actual shutter button and it will be easier to grip and clearly the image quality will be significantly improved from smaller sensors due to an excellent lens combined with a much larger sensor.

Lack of zoom isn't a negative. Zooms that cover APS-C sensors are big enough that you lose the pocketability factor that you have with this camera. If you want flexibility, get an ILC. Most compact cameras that have zooms have much smaller sensors and lower quality lenses.

Anyway, just because no everyone is interested in it doesn't mean it is a failure and I'm glad that Ricoh is releasing a new GR.
09-28-2018, 03:14 AM   #261

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
You won't find a smaller, more compact APS-C camera body out there.
I think most people are complaining they wil rather stay with a GR2. Size difference is negligible.

The addition of SR is impressive and with a tilt screen you can use it as waist level viewfinder.
No tilt screen here, sorry.

SR is just an awkward solution to the dust problem. Like a jackhammer on a nail.
You have some dust issue? Give a better training to the assembly workers, put a more suitable sealing than the current. On the contrary, Ricoh decided to pack a piezo-electric actuator in this little thing, which requires them to shrink the lens design. Wow, that's smart. Hopefully, the firmware will support pixel-shift, but what about the lens sharpness and correction?

Could it be compared to a smart phone? Well only in terms of size. As far as ergonomics it will be better as there will be an actual shutter button and it will be easier to grip and clearly the image quality will be significantly improved from smaller sensors due to an excellent lens combined with a much larger sensor.
Again, people are not blaming the GR concept, just pointing at the regression from the GR2 which was designed in 2013.
BTW, even if I am not a video maker, many smartphones support 4k video, these days.

ps : some people like myself are disappointed that Ricoh did not take the one good move : to integrate a OVF (even tunnel-like) and keep the flash.
What is the interest of the GC5 (http://store.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/g/gS6175790/) when you are forced to use an external viewfinder? And now, to plan for an external flash.

All in all, I think most "negative" people are quite practical people, and I did not see any GR user complaining about 24Mpixel is not enough, or I wanted a 24-200 zoom.

Last edited by regular67; 09-28-2018 at 03:23 AM.
09-28-2018, 03:18 AM - 3 Likes   #262
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How many smartphones have an APS-C sensor?
I'm quite excited by this.

09-28-2018, 03:18 AM   #263
Pentaxian

I'm also sticking with the K mount, but the GR looks like the perfect companion for the K1 with the 150-450mm attached.
Carrying 2 DSLRs is too much for me (I'm a hobbyist, I don't have to endure nor to have backups); changing lenses takes time and gets dust inside the camera.
09-28-2018, 03:20 AM - 2 Likes   #264
Pentaxian

Who wants a GR when you can have this: Zeiss announces ZX1 full-frame compact with fixed 35mm F2 lens: Digital Photography Review

09-28-2018, 03:21 AM - 1 Like   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by regular67 Quote
Again, people are not blaming the GR concept, just pointing at the regression from the GR2 which was designed in 2013.
What regression?
09-28-2018, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #266
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by regular67 Quote
I think most people are complaining they wil rather stay with a GR2. Size difference is negligible.

No tilt screen here, sorry.

SR is just an awkward solution to the dust problem. Like a jackhammer on a nail.
You have some dust issue? Give a better training to the assembly workers, put a more suitable sealing than the current. On the contrary, Ricoh decided to pack a piezo-electric actuator in this little thing, which requires them to shrink the lens design. Wow, that's smart. Hopefully, the firmware will support pixel-shift, but what about the lens sharpness and correction?

BTW, even if I am not a video maker, many smartphones support 4k video, these days.
Not many APS-C cameras have 4K video. The issue has to do with the sensors available and figuring out how to cool them adequately in such a tiny enclosure. I'm sure its solvable, but at the same time, I don't know that many people buy the GR III to shoot video. It feels like a street/travel camera.

As far as SR, I'm guessing that it can actually stabilize the sensor? Maybe allow you to drag you shutter a bit for longer exposures at night or when shooting moving water or whatever?

Anyway, we've established that you aren't interested in it. What I don't understand is why you think no one is when there are several people in this thread who clearly are interested in it.
09-28-2018, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #267
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
They just don't get it. Like quite a few of the whingers here.
09-28-2018, 03:38 AM   #268

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
They just don't get it. Like quite a few of the whingers here.
i can tell you for sure..even if some people are arguing for the new GRiii at the moment, they will probably get it anyway..
i am 90% satisfied about the announcement and i am excited about the new sensor.. just worrying that i have to shoot @higher ISO (instead of 1600-3200) for getting a filmlike snapshot

---------- Post added 09-28-18 at 12:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
this looks almost so big as the K-1 with the 31mm combo.. But you have the LR integration here, yeaahhhh, preorder on the way (joking).. probably for the price you could buy 2 K-1s and 2 FA 31mm..

Last edited by ddamski; 09-28-2018 at 03:51 AM.
09-28-2018, 03:50 AM   #269
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote

The GRIII is too little and too late for a pocketable camera. Lack of a zoom lens shows its stone age origins - optical zoom is just about the only thing mobile phones can't do and is a major selling point.
GR is always 28 mm prime (and it was 21 mm). It's tradition.
09-28-2018, 03:52 AM - 5 Likes   #270

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yet another who doesn't get the GR, and is blaming the camera for that.
this comment should be copy paste for every 3-4 post here