Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 03:56 AM   #271
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regular67 Quote
No tilt screen here, sorry.

SR is just an awkward solution to the dust problem. Like a jackhammer on a nail.
Is it a joke? You are not user of Pentax cameras? DRII is ultrasonic system. I have been using K-5IIs from October, 2012 and it works fine. I had cleaned sensor 1 time for 6 years.

09-28-2018, 04:02 AM   #272
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Not many APS-C cameras have 4K video. The issue has to do with the sensors available and figuring out how to cool them adequately in such a tiny enclosure. I'm sure its solvable, but at the same time, I don't know that many people buy the GR III to shoot video. It feels like a street/travel camera.

As far as SR, I'm guessing that it can actually stabilize the sensor? Maybe allow you to drag you shutter a bit for longer exposures at night or when shooting moving water or whatever?

Anyway, we've established that you aren't interested in it. What I don't understand is why you think no one is when there are several people in this thread who clearly are interested in it.
By the way, GRIII has better video than GRII. 4K asks more powerful processor and battery and better cooling. Otherwise it's gimmick. 4K@15 fps with very low video bitrate. 4K is for 4K's sake.
09-28-2018, 04:10 AM   #273

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Is it a joke? You are not user of Pentax cameras? DRII is ultrasonic system. I have been using K-5IIs from October, 2012 and it works fine. I had cleaned sensor 1 time for 6 years.
Glad for you, but you just dont need that sort of system with a fixed lens.
09-28-2018, 04:40 AM   #274
ogl
Banned

Are you Pentax user?

09-28-2018, 04:42 AM   #275

Are you Pentax user?
What the color of your underwear? short answer : yes.
09-28-2018, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #276
ogl
Banned

short answer : yes.
if you are Pentax user, why you don't know rather well-known things about Pentax features.
09-28-2018, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #277
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Touch screens have progressed a bit since. The one on my Panasonic TZ100 is actually useful, being able to set focus and exposure by simply tapping a point on the display makes things much easier than fiddling with cursor buttons. Not to mention menu selection.

The GRIII is too little and too late for a pocketable camera. Lack of a zoom lens shows its stone age origins - optical zoom is just about the only thing mobile phones can't do and is a major selling point.
1. This camera is not aimed at people upgrading their phones. Those people will likely go to Sony Rx100. This is a street photographers pro tool, or an enthusiast photographers second camera.

2. Have you looked at your phone pictures at anything larger than a phone screen? At any magnification level they turn into watercolor looking artifacts. There's no detail, no dynamic range.

3. Phone manufacturers try their best to use larger and larger sensors in their devices, with larger and larger aperture lenses, not only to achieve the background blur (they kind of can do that shoddily via software), but to clean up the image, especially in low light. But there's physically nothing they can do to achieve an mft level quality, not even speaking about a much larger apsc size chip.

I guess the positioning as "compact" is confusing to people that never held the GR..

09-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #278
Pentaxian

It's a remarkable system in DSLRs and will probably work very well here, otherwise there isn't a point in adding it instead of going for WR. It's probably their own trial tests (it's not like they came up with this prototype only yesterday) that proved they can go with SR instead of keeping the body larger and adding WR. Plus someone here was saying they expect the dust to drop at the bottom of the chassis, where it will be picked up by something sticky.

I am just talking my logic here, I don't say these are facts.
09-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #279

if you are Pentax user, why you don't know rather well-known things about Pentax features.
he is a new member.. we have to welcome him with open arms

---------- Post added 09-28-18 at 03:34 PM ----------

you can use it in night photography.. few stops for free..and wait for it..maybe you have SR in the 4k video..oops sorry, i ment 1080p

Last edited by ddamski; 09-28-2018 at 06:48 AM.
09-28-2018, 06:52 AM - 4 Likes   #280
ogl
Banned

09-28-2018, 06:57 AM - 4 Likes   #281
ogl
Banned

09-28-2018, 07:02 AM   #282

QuoteOriginally posted by ddamski Quote
he is a new member.. we have to welcome him with open arms
Thank you, I have always appreciated the swiss concern over respect of people privacy, and welcoming attitude.

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
It's a remarkable system in DSLRs and will probably work very well here, otherwise there isn't a point in adding it instead of going for WR. It's probably their own trial tests (it's not like they came up with this prototype only yesterday) that proved they can go with SR instead of keeping the body larger and adding WR. Plus someone here was saying they expect the dust to drop at the bottom of the chassis, where it will be picked up by something sticky.
Thank you for considering this possibility. I was looking for an illustration of the dust issue, but I should have guess the best source was this site
Here is an older page that describe that the sensor seal is not well designed or not well assembled.
Disassembling GR for sensor cleaning - PentaxForums.comThe lip of the seal are not well positioned. Solving this issue would (one can presume) have lesser design impact than integration of a Shake Reduction block with a volume that makes it more suitable to a DSLR like the K70.

My last comment is that hopefully Ricoh will make an optimial use of the SR block to have the full-support of the pixel-shift. Even if that may not be the most anticipated feature on a 28mm camera.
09-28-2018, 07:06 AM - 4 Likes   #283
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There's video interview with Takahiro Tomohiro Noguchi on DC Watch about the GR III. Noguchi-san is someone very closely associated with the GR. He runs the GR blog site. I saw him interviewed about Ricoh cameras before the Pentax acquisition, so I'm sure he is from the Ricoh side originally.

For the most part it's just what we've heard before. He stresses hat this not a minor change but the whole camera is redesigned from the ground up. The interviewer comments on how the Gas all look the same since 1993. Nogichi-san answers that every time they go through a process of considering other designs, but when they think about the use of the camera, they come back to a similar design. He does say that users are going to feel more of a change when they operate it.

What I found interesting were his comments about demand for the camera. He said that over the years smartphones have taken sales away from compact cameras, but that the GR is stable. It has not been affected at all. He also said that the camera is particularly popular in Asia and China in particular.

Here's the video for anyone who can understand.

Last edited by JPT; 09-28-2018 at 08:10 AM.
09-28-2018, 07:32 AM   #284
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
2. Have you looked at your phone pictures at anything larger than a phone screen? At any magnification level they turn into watercolor looking artifacts. There's no detail, no dynamic range.
Well this not all true. I know things can be a lot better then with smartphones. Huawei is now using a 1/1.7 inch sensor in the p20 pro. So things move up.

I have made several prints from my current and former smartphone to 30x40 cm and the one taken in sunny daylight are actually very nice.
09-28-2018, 08:20 AM   #285
Veteran Member

awesome. thanks for posting those ogl

serious question to all the GR veterans: was size ever really an issue?

I’m still trying to understand the ‘problems’ the III is trying to solve. of all the GR polls and wishlists, I don’t remember once seeing smaller size, touchscreen, or less controls. or even SR

I do vividly remember WR and EVFs however