Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 08:57 AM - 3 Likes   #286
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
awesome. thanks for posting those ogl

serious question to all the GR veterans: was size ever really an issue?

I’m still trying to understand the ‘problems’ the III is trying to solve. of all the GR polls and wishlists, I don’t remember once seeing smaller size, touchscreen, or less controls. or even SR

I do vividly remember WR and EVFs however
I can think of a few.
- Some people found the EV comp toggle on the thumb rest frustrating because it was easy to inadvertently hit. I personally never found that a problem, but I read it in numerous reviews and user comments. They have moved this somewhere else. Not sure how it will work in practice.
- When they moved to APS-C from the smaller sensor GRD IV, they sacrificed a few things - the phase detect AF sensor, sensor shift image stabilization, and the 1cm macro function went to 10cm. They have addressed all of these things in some way.
- People had trouble with dust on the sensor and the new one has the Pentax DRII system to vibrate it off. This is what a lot of people wanted better sealing for.

I'm happy to see a touch screen because I hate dealing with menus through the tiny 8-way buttons. I think being able to swipe through the options will make me more likely to experiment with the deeper settings of the camera. I don't see why people object to touch screens. Do they really feel satisfied with the old routine? - right, right, right, down, down, down, down, OK, left . . .

As for the size, I think smaller is better. I would want to carry this in my pocket, but inside a protective case. This is like the older GRD, so it should be possible to get neoprene case for it and still have it fit in an inside jacket pocket.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

09-28-2018, 09:14 AM - 2 Likes   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here we are: the GR series cameras have never, literally never, hugely disappointed anyone and more often than not those that have been dubious-at-best coming into the line (myself included back in 2009), change their tune drastically as time with the camera extends. Finding a harsh and dismissive review of these cameras made by anyone that has used one for a length of time is difficult at best to come by. There is a reason that the cult-like following for these exists. I've no reason to believe the GRIII will be any different.

We can pick apart the specs and photos to our heart's content - it's fun to do so - but at the end of the day, when this is released, though it will not sweep across the market there will be plenty of buyers, and then more, and then a few more. Nearly all of them will be very happy, some will "convert" and a some will understand the system and decide it's not quite for them. And time will roll on. That's my prediction.

---------- Post added 09-28-18 at 09:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
As for the size, I think smaller is better. I would want to carry this in my pocket, but inside a protective case. This is like the older GRD, so it should be possible to get neoprene case for it and still have it fit in an inside jacket pocket.
This is accurate. The difference in size between the GR(and GR II) and the GRDIII(and GRDIV) *seems* negligible, but I can attest that this very small physical difference makes a world of difference in a pants-pocket. I simply don't slip the GR into that pocket, but I have (and do so) fairly regularly with my GRDIV (and GRDIII before) in the past. It seems a negligible difference but in practice it really isn't.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
BBB100-1  Photo 

Last edited by Eyewanders; 09-28-2018 at 09:28 AM.
09-28-2018, 09:39 AM   #288
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
1. This camera is not aimed at people upgrading their phones. Those people will likely go to Sony Rx100. This is a street photographers pro tool, or an enthusiast photographers second camera.
My TZ100 is not a phone. It is 'an enthusiast photographers second camera', 'a street photographers pro tool' and much more - TZ100 | Flickr

Pentax/Ricoh will struggle in this fast moving market.
09-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #289
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
My TZ100 is not a phone. It is 'an enthusiast photographers second camera', 'a street photographers pro tool' and much more - TZ100 | Flickr

1" sensor vs apsc, nuff said. Not saying 1" cameras aren't good, they clearly are, but comparing those would be a mistake. Compare the TZ100 vs LX10, RX100, and the rest of the 1" pack.
If I wanted a zoom lens, I wouldn't be here. I want a smallest possible body with highest IQ, which lands me on GR series. Have you tried using one? The lens on this thing is amazing.

Check out this dng - open it up in lightroom and have a scan across the frame, notice how sharp it is corner to corner.
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison/download-image?s3Key=ba0d4...ee92edd06b.dng

There are few different styles for street photography, I personally lean towards a fixed lens and zooming with legs.
I really like this guy's style, and here's what he thinks of GR - http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2018/07/22/why-the-ricoh-gr-ii-is-the-bes...graphy-camera/

---------- Post added 09-28-18 at 10:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well this not all true. I know things can be a lot better then with smartphones. Huawei is now using a 1/1.7 inch sensor in the p20 pro. So things move up.

I have made several prints from my current and former smartphone to 30x40 cm and the one taken in sunny daylight are actually very nice.
mm, how would they fit even a mft sensor in a phone? Sunny daylight is one thing, low light is another. If it works for you, that's awesome, but I would rather separate my camera and the phone. and I want high IQ personal preferences

09-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #290
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote

Please, use your camera if you like it. What is a problem? You don't need GR.

1" sensor is the level of 1/1.7" sensor for IQ. Although the sensor is a bit bigger, the final pictures are not better.
And it's bigger than GRIII. 110,5 x 64,5 x 44,3 mm. The lens is slow.
Awful 28 mm results.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100/TZ100 Review: Digital Photography Review

I'm afraid it's level just a bit better than good smart phone or the same
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kh1234567890/29963950827/in/album-72157687585421680/

Do you really think it's good? https://www.flickr.com/photos/kh1234567890/42580439450/sizes/o/
09-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #291
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Here we are: the GR series cameras have never, literally never, hugely disappointed anyone and more often than not those that have been dubious-at-best coming into the line (myself included back in 2009), change their tune drastically as time with the camera extends. Finding a harsh and dismissive review of these cameras made by anyone that has used one for a length of time is difficult at best to come by. There is a reason that the cult-like following for these exists. I've no reason to believe the GRIII will be any different.

We can pick apart the specs and photos to our heart's content - it's fun to do so - but at the end of the day, when this is released, though it will not sweep across the market there will be plenty of buyers, and then more, and then a few more. Nearly all of them will be very happy, some will "convert" and a some will understand the system and decide it's not quite for them. And time will roll on. That's my prediction.

---------- Post added 09-28-18 at 09:22 AM ----------

This is accurate. The difference in size between the GR(and GR II) and the GRDIII(and GRDIV) *seems* negligible, but I can attest that this very small physical difference makes a world of difference in a pants-pocket. I simply don't slip the GR into that pocket, but I have (and do so) fairly regularly with my GRDIV (and GRDIII before) in the past. It seems a negligible difference but in practice it really isn't.
solid answers. while not (too) many would claim smaller size, SR or a touchscreen are bad things, I guess with all the previous GR love they’d be considered nice-to-haves this far into the series. aka luxuries not necessities

dust definitely seemed a common problem that needed fixing, but many pros and enthusiasts would claim environmental sealing was lacking and would also fix that issue

as for size, the APS-C GR was essentially the same size as the GRD just longer. not really a matter of bigger pockets, just deeper ones (perhaps in both meanings of the term)

we’re definitely seeing a reaction from GR vets about removal of the flash and hard controls, it’s not just DPreview. who knows, maybe the touchscreen is designed and close enough for one-handed operation. or maybe the hotshoe has some surprises, but I could always tell a GR from any other camera easily before, especially the back. this almost looks like the Fuji XF10, another recent APS-C compact being hammered for losing controls
09-28-2018, 10:31 AM   #292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I can think of a few.
- Some people found the EV comp toggle on the thumb rest frustrating because it was easy to inadvertently hit. I personally never found that a problem, but I read it in numerous reviews and user comments. They have moved this somewhere else. Not sure how it will work in practice.
- When they moved to APS-C from the smaller sensor GRD IV, they sacrificed a few things - the phase detect AF sensor, sensor shift image stabilization, and the 1cm macro function went to 10cm. They have addressed all of these things in some way.
- People had trouble with dust on the sensor and the new one has the Pentax DRII system to vibrate it off. This is what a lot of people wanted better sealing for.

I'm happy to see a touch screen because I hate dealing with menus through the tiny 8-way buttons. I think being able to swipe through the options will make me more likely to experiment with the deeper settings of the camera. I don't see why people object to touch screens. Do they really feel satisfied with the old routine? - right, right, right, down, down, down, down, OK, left . . .

Anyway, that's my take on it.
I found the EV rocker a bit cumbersome, you had to press the button till you get to the point you want, then click OK to continue with other functions. The wheel should fix that (it it acts like a dslr wheel).

09-28-2018, 11:02 AM   #293
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

This image of the rear LCD is the best so far to give a clear idea of the screen. The actual viewable screen is going to be much smaller than the dimension of the LCD cover plate.
09-28-2018, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #294
Veteran Member

Quick notes on handling ya'll...

Three customizeable points will be available on the GR III.
Front dial, adj/toggle, and new rear control wheel. That's more than enough for an exposure "triangle". Also there will be other customizeable points that work in conjunction with those points.

Have faith they will make it a very user friendly camera and not too reliant on touch screen. And I'm glad they will continue to produce and sell the GR II, this way there are options. Personally I think they should offer a GR IIs in the future, that gives it the new sensor and processor. Why not have two GR options.
09-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #295
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a GR II, and it's easier to take a photo one handed than with my Samsung phone. The interface is great and it has the IQ of APS-C, not 1" or smaller. The field of view is the same as a phone. It fits into my pants pocket, not just a jacket pocket.

The new one looks good, although I'd miss the flash. Leaf shutter means it works instead of HSS.

09-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #296
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Quick notes on handling ya'll...

Three customizeable points will be available on the GR III.
Front dial, adj/toggle, and new rear control wheel. That's more than enough for an exposure "triangle". Also there will be other customizeable points that work in conjunction with those points.

Have faith they will make it a very user friendly camera and not too reliant on touch screen. And I'm glad they will continue to produce and sell the GR II, this way there are options. Personally I think they should offer a GR IIs in the future, that gives it the new sensor and processor. Why not have two GR options.
I agree based on past experience. We'll see. I'm certainly still interested.

Regarding a "GRIIs" sort of upgrade however, that would break from all past release practices. Not a bad thing, but doesn't sound likely to me.
09-28-2018, 11:37 AM   #297

Can anybody confirm whether the GR III will have a built-in flash or not? Thank you!
09-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I have a GR II, and it's easier to take a photo one handed than with my Samsung phone. The interface is great and it has the IQ of APS-C, not 1" or smaller. The field of view is the same as a phone. It fits into my pants pocket, not just a jacket pocket.

The new one looks good, although I'd miss the flash. Leaf shutter means it works instead of HSS.
leaf shutter?? I missed that! That's awesome!
09-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #299
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by VonBarkow Quote
Can anybody confirm whether the GR III will have a built-in flash or not? Thank you!
There is no on-board flash. I guess they took it out to make the camera smaller?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-28-2018, 11:55 AM   #300
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Regarding a "GRIIs" sort of upgrade however, that would break from all past release practices. Not a bad thing, but doesn't sound likely to me.
not with film. plenty of ‘small letter’ variants in the film GRs