Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #301
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
awesome. thanks for posting those ogl

serious question to all the GR veterans: was size ever really an issue?

I’m still trying to understand the ‘problems’ the III is trying to solve. of all the GR polls and wishlists, I don’t remember once seeing smaller size, touchscreen, or less controls. or even SR

I do vividly remember WR and EVFs however
Size wasn't a problem, but when small size is one of your key selling points, a bit smaller (without being too tiny to handle) makes the camera better.

SR provides dust removal. Susceptibility to dust is IMO the biggest flaw in the GR1 and 2; they could have used either WR or SR as a remedy. SR also allows slower shutter for lower ISO at night; if I have to carry a tripod the pocketability of the GR is moot. (In a perfect world I would want WR plus SR)

I never once felt that my GR needed on OVF or EVF. Half of my shots are taken with the rear LCD turned off to conserve battery.

The button changes come as a surprise. We can't really judge it without hand-on experience. I like touchscreen during camera configuration and menu diving. I dislike touchscreen during actual shooting; too easy to press things accidentally.

The new control wheel around the rear buttons at first glance seems prone to accidental movement especially when shooting one-handed. I have the same complaint about the positioning of the +- exposure buttons on my GR1 when shooting from the hip. Maybe the wheel works better, maybe it doesn't.

09-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
not with film. plenty of ‘small letter’ variants in the film GRs
I was referring to the digital line. The film models are far fewer overall and the convention is different certainly.
(Honestly, though I understand the move, I still mostly wish they'd not "started over", as it were, when the GR was named/released. It sure has confused things a good bit.)

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I have the same complaint about the positioning of the +- exposure buttons on my GR1 when shooting from the hip. Maybe the wheel works better, maybe it doesn't.
And this is what I'm talking about (above). The "GR1" is actual model designation of the first film body. (But context matters and it gets figured out quickly)

Last edited by Eyewanders; 09-28-2018 at 01:05 PM.
09-28-2018, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #303
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For me the GR II is the maximum size for an always bring. I find it a bit to big for trouser pockets. It goes down but it's neither comfortable, a good look nor a quick draw. So when without a coat/jacket I put it on a strap man bag style.

So smaller is better. With the GR II being so close to perfect perhaps the GR III nails it.
09-28-2018, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #304
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
For me the GR II is the maximum size for an always bring.
Same here. In fact, the GR is really the only digital that is regularly in my life for quite a number of years now and in many ways is the only digital I much care about.
I use my Pentax for specific uses but only occasionally, particularly because I've returned to shooting primarily film bodies again for the past 6 or 7 years, but the GR remains in constant use as an "everyday" digital for quick snaps shots, impromptu landscapes, product photography...
and I bring it along with film bodies as a metering tool and rough "polaroid" for essential compositions (it's smaller than my incident/spot meter for heck's sake ).
All of that multi-use utility comes down its quick control in a tiny package with excellent output.

09-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #305
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
:)

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I agree based on past experience. We'll see. I'm certainly still interested.

Regarding a "GRIIs" sort of upgrade however, that would break from all past release practices. Not a bad thing, but doesn't sound likely to me.
Yep, it's totally unlikely, but in the world of retail products consumer ideas are good to share regardless.
09-28-2018, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #306
Pentaxian

I’ve long pondered whether I should by a DA21 for my K-5 or rather a GRii. If the GRiii lens is as good as the predecessors, the choice is getting easier. My K-5 might be replaced by a K-1 one day, and then a GR series camera will be more useful than a DA21 lens
09-28-2018, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Yep, it's totally unlikely, but in the world of retail products consumer ideas are good to share regardless.
pretty sure a 24mp weathersealed GRII (flash, no EVF or SR) would have been very welcomed by consumers. indeed expected. certainly easier to develop

09-28-2018, 02:47 PM - 2 Likes   #308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I’ve long pondered whether I should by a DA21 for my K-5 or rather a GRii.
I had the exact same decision point ~4 years ago. I'm glad I picked the GR. It's a great 2nd body to carry when I have an ultrawide or telephoto lens on my primary DSLR (used to be a K-5, now K-1). It takes less time to pull out the GR than it takes to swap lenses.

When I'm just planning to do street photography, I prefer the GR's small size and customizable user interface, so I leave the DSLR at home.
09-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #309
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Do you really think it's good?
It has one major advantage over vapourware GRIII, in that it actually exists and has travelled round the globe with me in my pocket over the past year or so. It does exactly what I got it for.
09-28-2018, 04:49 PM   #310
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
It has one major advantage over vapourware GRIII, in that it actually exists and has travelled round the globe with me in my pocket over the past year or so. It does exactly what I got it for.
Why attach the vapor moniker to the GRIII?

A GRDIII went around the world with me as well for nearly 2 years. I also had a K-7 & 50/1.4 - it seldom made it out of my pack.
09-28-2018, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #311
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
It does exactly what I got it for.
Can you extend that line of thinking to people that are excited about the GR update (and the GR line in general)? We love it for the same reasons you love your panasonic, it does what we want it to do.
09-28-2018, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #312

Photos: Albums
The GR III will be the perfect companion to my KP and GR.... This purchase is a no brainer.....
09-28-2018, 06:26 PM   #313
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is actually what I was waiting for. I was looking at the GR II hard last year, and was very very close, but I just had a feeling there would be a 24mp version in the next round, and as I read about the philosophy here http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/gr_special/story.html and looked at where we were, I figured to just hold on - soon. While it would be nice to see a rapid release on certain things, the cycle here speaks to some product longevity. Nice not to be "obsolete" every 12 months because of the new toy in the window.
09-28-2018, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #314
JPT
Pentaxian

The GR Blog has some articles about the GRIII in English. I think this is where OGL got his images. I may have missed it, but I haven't see the link to the articles themselves yet.

GR official | RICOH official community site

09-28-2018, 07:28 PM   #315
Veteran Member

This will be a looooong winter of waiting for it to land hopefully, before my next big trip abroad (not sure I want to take my ff setup anywhere outside of the country).