Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2018, 02:14 PM   #331
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Speed is part of the total system. So what would be required for a street camera? What would be possible given the choices made for sensor, sensor read-out, processor, busline to the card and all other parts. Probably uhs-I is adequate or even more then enough. It is a little camera that has to be consious about energy use, because of the small battery.
RonHendriks1966 I think that has been the main issue for me with Ricoh/Pentax their thinking of keeping things just adequate enough which leaves the user waiting for the "buffer" but we are not really waiting on the "buffer" we are waiting on the slow SD bus speed. A camera is no different than any other computer system. Would anyone think of setting up a state of the art CPU RAM GPU but stay with some ancient ATA storage interface.

If Ricoh is improving the sensor CPU Buffer etc they need to improve the storage capacity accordingly to keep up. The longer files are in the "buffer" the more energy they consume and the camera is held up leaving the user waiting for the buffer clear. This only adds to the benefit of street photography a more spontaneous camera operation.

I still don't get why people are having such opposition to something that is only going to exponentially improve the GR. UHS-II will improve every Ricoh/Pentax camera. Instead everyone seems to be satisfied with electronic industry standards intended for devices from 10 years ago that are just enough to get by.

09-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #332
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Please, use your camera if you like it. What is a problem? You don't need GR.

1" sensor is the level of 1/1.7" sensor for IQ. Although the sensor is a bit bigger, the final pictures are not better.
And it's bigger than GRIII. 110,5 x 64,5 x 44,3 mm. The lens is slow.
Awful 28 mm results.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS100/TZ100 Review: Digital Photography Review

I'm afraid it's level just a bit better than good smart phone or the same
Mersey | Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 9.1-91mm f2.8-5.9 Asph | kh1234567890 | Flickr

Do you really think it's good? All sizes | Heaton Park | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
You should really compare like for like. I don't seem to have many shots at 28mm EFL, beside these, taken between 27 and 29 mm.
09-29-2018, 02:53 PM   #333
Banned

Well I don't expect that the GRiii will be the groundbreaking camera to get those first class electronics to be a speed monster.
09-29-2018, 03:06 PM   #334
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by adjutant Quote
Having said all that, I seriously question Ricoh's "bold" move to remove the built-in flash, especially on a camera with leaf shutter. Built-in flash is vital to any premium compact. The utility of always having fill flash available cannot be understated. At the very least Ricoh will need to release a tiny pocketable P-TTL external flash.
This will annoy some users a bit and that's understandable. Though really when you use fill-flash it's a more a measured use normally - you're certainly giving up stealth at that point. There are compact flash units available, but one specific to the GR would be quite nice.

---------- Post added 09-29-18 at 03:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
You should really compare like for like. I don't seem to have many shots at 28mm EFL, beside these, taken between 27 and 29 mm.
To be fair, he compared only in general because you brought that camera up. They're very different and comparing is difficult at any length.
But if I'm honest, I'd say even the older GRDIII and GRDIV are it's equal or better at 28mm.

GRDIII | Flickr

09-29-2018, 03:18 PM   #335
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't help but think of the GR as a similar street camera as the image a classic Leica film camera brings to mind - compact, quiet, subtle, and very very capable.
09-29-2018, 03:37 PM   #336
Pentaxian

With 2 gigs of memory I would think buffering won't be much of a problem?
09-29-2018, 03:45 PM   #337
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
With 2 gigs of memory I would think buffering won't be much of a problem?
That's not the buffer, that's mass storage.

09-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #338
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
That's not the buffer, that's mass storage.
Will write speed to the mass storage be much faster than to a card? Seems they could implement a protocol so whenever buffering occurs it could continue using the mass storage. Then when you have time you could transfer to the card.
I am not sure what good that storage is except if I forget my card or fill a card up.
09-29-2018, 05:00 PM   #339
Veteran Member

Will write speed to the mass storage be much faster than to a card? Seems they could implement a protocol so whenever buffering occurs it could continue using the mass storage. Then when you have time you could transfer to the card.
I am not sure what good that storage is except if I forget my card or fill a card up.
It's useful for that. It was present on past models but the internal storage was (oddly) smaller on the GR and GRII as compared to GRDIII and GRDIV. With the larger APSC file sizes it was barely a scratch; it was a bit more useful previously. On the GR it's only a handful of raw images possible. 2GB is certainly a step up. God knows I've found myself in the past leaving my main card in the laptop's reader and out shooting with no media but the internal.
09-29-2018, 05:11 PM   #340
Pentaxian

a 24mp RAW shot is about 25 megs so it should hold about 80 RAW shots and a lot more jpgs.
09-29-2018, 06:43 PM   #341
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
It's useful for that. It was present on past models but the internal storage was (oddly) smaller on the GR and GRII as compared to GRDIII and GRDIV. With the larger APSC file sizes it was barely a scratch; it was a bit more useful previously. On the GR it's only a handful of raw images possible. 2GB is certainly a step up. God knows I've found myself in the past leaving my main card in the laptop's reader and out shooting with no media but the internal.
Didn't even know there's internal storage in grII lol. When I got the camera I was testing with no card, just to see how controls work, and not a single image saved, so I assumed there was no internal storage there.
09-29-2018, 08:41 PM   #342
ogl
Banned

Will write speed to the mass storage be much faster than to a card?
In theory - it could be.
09-30-2018, 08:50 AM   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I don't expect that the GRiii will be the groundbreaking camera to get those first class electronics to be a speed monster.
RonHendriks1966 the GRIII ought to be the Ricoh camera that receives first class electronics. I would think. What other camera does Ricoh have to focus such electronics on?

I don't think UHS-II is first class electronics. It is 2 steps below first class. The eventual PCIe is first class which the SD Association announced several months ago they are now heading too with SD Express. Formats like QXD already are using PCIe which is beneficial in many ways beyond speed to how they build the data paths. PCIe is a system bus standard for CPU GPU RAM and Storage to all work together more efficiently.

Last edited by Rico; 09-30-2018 at 09:20 AM.
09-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #344
Forum Member

yep... 1st class would be a CFExpress slot thats backwards compatible to XQD
not QXD...

But i really wouldnt care about that. On a tool like the GRIII.

Sure, with a tiltnswivel display and 4K and whoknowswhatelsemorethanthat, it could also have been THE and i say THE tool for vloggers...
at this size..
Would have impressed a lot of customers to go after it like hotcake... but it seems that RICOH just doesnt want to make cameras for

young consumers or EVERYBODY ...

Its for street-photography, and I am pretty sure, its image quality is hard to beat by any compact...
and it runs nearly without competition.
I take a good guess and say the quirkyness of the Zeiss ZX1(and i guess the pricetag zeiss will choose)...
will leave everything as is:
RICOH GR - the best street-photography tool without any competition.

But dont get me wrong, I also think, they should better gear up a bit.

Since one can see there can be competition coming up, when you would never expect it...
F.i.: i bet sony didnt really expect Panasonics move - and then this new fuji SR-stabilized 100mp mid format... with the same very professional mean&clean look that formerly was typical for PENTAX crop-flagships?WTF?
10-01-2018, 12:58 AM   #345

no EVF planned, and not available before Q2 2019, says the rumor.
https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/some-additional-ricoh-griii-info/