Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
10-01-2018, 03:17 AM   #346
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regular67 Quote
no EVF planned, and not available before Q2 2019, says the rumor.
https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/some-additional-ricoh-griii-info/
In stores: Q1 2019 is planned. You read in rather strange manner...

10-01-2018, 04:26 AM   #347

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
In stores: Q1 2019 is planned. You read in rather strange manner...
"Q1 2019 is planned. But mainly Q2 only…", it is only a rumor anyway.
10-01-2018, 06:44 AM - 3 Likes   #348
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Strange thing I never looked at the GR before last Saturday, when I handled the GR II at Photokina. Previous years, I guess Pentax always kept me distracted by new stuff that was more directly interesting to me. Not so this year, so I got to notice the GR II and III...

Boy, what a revelation!!

I have always loved my Q and Q-S1, but regretted the little 01 lens has a slightly too narrow FoV for me to use it even more than I do. And although the Q-S1's IQ was always within expectations, it was so only just... In short, without realizing it, the GR III is the very real answer to what I was hoping Pentax would resurrect the Q series to become in a probably nonexistent future...

Well, I added the GR III to the top of my 2019 shopping list!!

Wim
10-01-2018, 08:30 AM   #349

thinking aloud : shouldnt Ricoh be afraid of Fuji's "twin razor blade" marketing strategy ?

A Fuji XF10, with a lower feature proposition, to cut Ricoh short on its price positioning (500$ for 24MP APS-C, etc).
Based on the XF10's lower specs, Ricoh then defines the current GRiii prototype (with an eye on cost).

Later, Fuji releases a hypothetical Fuji XF80(?) to overtake's Ricoh value proposition.

In such hypothesis, it would be a bad move that Ricoh published their specifications 6 months before street availability.

10-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #350
Veteran Member

thinking aloud : shouldnt Ricoh be afraid of Fuji's "twin razor blade" marketing strategy ?

A Fuji XF10, with a lower feature proposition, to cut Ricoh short on its price positioning (500$ for 24MP APS-C, etc).
Based on the XF10's lower specs, Ricoh then defines the current GRiii prototype (with an eye on cost).

Later, Fuji releases a hypothetical Fuji XF80(?) to overtake's Ricoh value proposition.

In such hypothesis, it would be a bad move that Ricoh published their specifications 6 months before street availability.
XF10 is getting panned quite a bit, even from fuji fans. AF is worse than 2016 GRII. People say it feels cheap-ish. I'd be more worried about XF80 (if it is announced before GRIII arrives).
I was considering XF10, but after reading stuff online decided to get Ricoh instead.
10-01-2018, 09:34 AM   #351
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
XF10 is getting panned quite a bit, even from fuji fans. AF is worse than 2016 GRII. People say it feels cheap-ish. I'd be more worried about XF80 (if it is announced before GRIII arrives).
I was considering XF10, but after reading stuff online decided to get Ricoh instead.
the XF10 looks very similar on paper (especially now that Ricoh is shedding controls) but two words assure it can never truly replace a GR:

Lens. Cap.
10-01-2018, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #352
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I played with one a while...I thought it might be a cheaper, better GR. I hated it...play is the right word, it felt and acted like a cheap toy.

They would need a radical redesign to make it even come close to the GRII I bought shortly after.

10-02-2018, 12:59 AM   #353

Here we go! Street-aquariphilist, this camera was designed for ya!
And dont you dare using this flash, or you will frighten the fishes away :

???????? ?????? | GR official | ??????????????

Maybe next revision will be intended to food-blogers, train-spotters ... or even street-photo.

(dont feel obliged to comment if you lost your funny bone in the dark corner of a street ... or of a public aquarium
10-02-2018, 03:55 AM   #354
Pentaxian

I am trying to figure out how continuous mode helps when fish are surprisingly early.
I didn't know the gr digital iv had iOS 80 which is great for photographing jellyfish in the dark.
I keep learing.
10-02-2018, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #355
Veteran Member

There are times my boriscletunderstanding grows in fits and spurts.

Gosh the new GRIII announcement sure looks interesting though.
10-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #356
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Strange thing I never looked at the GR before last Saturday, when I handled the GR II at Photokina. Previous years, I guess Pentax always kept me distracted by new stuff that was more directly interesting to me. Not so this year, so I got to notice the GR II and III...

Boy, what a revelation!!

I have always loved my Q and Q-S1, but regretted the little 01 lens has a slightly too narrow FoV for me to use it even more than I do. And although the Q-S1's IQ was always within expectations, it was so only just... In short, without realizing it, the GR III is the very real answer to what I was hoping Pentax would resurrect the Q series to become in a probably nonexistent future...

Well, I added the GR III to the top of my 2019 shopping list!!

Wim
Wim, The GR is a pure photographer's tool.
I have a GR (I) and I love it everytime I used it . Of course it has limitations but it has been surprisingly useful.

Even concerts shots can turn amazing and this really is not supposed to be it's best use.
I could lend it to you if ya want.
10-03-2018, 08:03 AM   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Wim, The GR is a pure photographer's tool.
I have a GR (I) and I love it everytime I used it . Of course it has limitations but it has been surprisingly useful.

Even concerts shots can turn amazing and this really is not supposed to be it's best use.
I could lend it to you if ya want.
Tx Thibs! Now I remember that you had one indeed. Somewhere in the back of my mind I did always know it must have been a great tool from seeing who liked it, but for some strange reason (human nature?) I never considered it for myself... I'll keep your offer in mind, though it's very busy times the next few months, so by the time I have time to do some street photography, we'll probably be in the next year, and who knows... the GR III might already be available. ;-)

grtz, Wim
10-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #358
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Tx Thibs! Now I remember that you had one indeed. Somewhere in the back of my mind I did always know it must have been a great tool from seeing who liked it, but for some strange reason (human nature?) I never considered it for myself... I'll keep your offer in mind, though it's very busy times the next few months, so by the time I have time to do some street photography, we'll probably be in the next year, and who knows... the GR III might already be available. ;-)

grtz, Wim
You know how to contact me
10-04-2018, 01:30 AM - 2 Likes   #359
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
There are compact flash units available, but one specific to the GR would be quite nice.
I just got myself a Lume Cube. While not a flash, it's small and compact. Haven't had any time to try it properly, though. It could well be that it simply isn't powerful enough to act as a wannabe flash. But a waterproof and bluetooth controllable light ought to be useful for something
10-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #360
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I just got myself a Lume Cube. While not a flash, it's small and compact. Haven't had any time to try it properly, though. It could well be that it simply isn't powerful enough to act as a wannabe flash. But a waterproof and bluetooth controllable light ought to be useful for something
Those are quite cool. I was just looking at the Litra a couple of days ago.