Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
11-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #376
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Dust was my excuse for not getting the GR II...
X 2. Same here, that was the issue that always stopped me dead in my tracks. Hope they solve it. I have a Canon G 12, bought back in early 2011. Used it a lot...so far no dust on the sensor..touch wood..so it can be done.

11-28-2018, 09:11 AM   #377
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmmm, that GRIII sure looks nice and small...
12-04-2018, 05:13 AM - 5 Likes   #378
Pentaxian

12-04-2018, 07:23 AM - 2 Likes   #379
Pentaxian

?RICOH GR III????????? - ???? Watch

12-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #380
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, today 112 yen to a dollar, so the article is saying that it will be slightly above 100,000 yen, which is about $890. This means 1,000 euros. A bit pricey in my view without weather seal.
12-04-2018, 06:20 PM - 3 Likes   #381
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I made a human translation of the December 4 DC Watch article that Ooku linked to. This one: https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1156660.html

First unveiling of "RICOH GR III" functional machines

On December 4, Ricoh Imaging held the “GR Night”, inviting photographers and the media to try functional samples of the “Ricoh GRIII”, a compact digital camera planned for release in spring 2019.

The GRIII is a fixed lens digital camera, whose development was announced at Photokina 2018. While maintaining the GR series’ characteristic 28mm in 35mm equivalent format, the lens has a fresh optical design. The image sensor is APS-C, with an effective resolution of 24.24 megapixels, and it’s main feature is that it incorporates the sensor shift stabilization mechanism (SR) developed in Pentax DSLRs.

Photo Caption: Compared to the GR/GRII the width has been reduced, making it close to the size of the GR Digital IV.

Photo Caption: The 35mm equivalent 21mm wide converter lens (price to be confirmed)

When we had an interview at Photokina, we were not allowed to see the camera switched on, but this time we could actually operate the camera and shoot. We could also see the menus, said to have been “remade from scratch”. However, since this was still firmware version 0.00, features and changes are likely to be added in various areas before launch. At present, the expected price is projected at “just over 100,000 yen”

Photo caption: The shooting screen. Touch AF is possible.

Photo caption: The menu screen. After selecting a tab, the menus can be scrolled with a flick gesture.

We will post more detailed information we got from the touch and try at a later date.

A note about the price. The original GR was launched at 100,000 yen ($800 elsewhere), so this is not much of a price increase, especially compared the industry trend. I would caution about using currency converters to infer a local price from the Japan price because it rarely works like that. However, it might be fair to say it will be a little bit above the initial GR price was in your country.

---------- Post added 12-05-18 at 10:40 AM ----------

By the way, the item highlighted in the menu reads "Smartphone Connection Functions". I'm not sure I've seen that wording before. Is that in the KP or K-1 II menus? I'm wondering if indicates some deeper level of integration with smartphones.

Last edited by JPT; 12-04-2018 at 06:35 PM.
12-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #382
Veteran Member

Hope they will release some review units soon, I'd love to see what they came up with since GRII)

12-04-2018, 08:43 PM   #383
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
By the way, the item highlighted in the menu reads "Smartphone Connection Functions". I'm not sure I've seen that wording before. Is that in the KP or K-1 II menus? I'm wondering if indicates some deeper level of integration with smartphones.
I don’t see that Menu choice in my K-1 or KP.
12-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #384
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don’t see that Menu choice in my K-1 or KP.
With the KP, the 3rd menu in the 'tool' group {with a wrench symbol} has a line labeled "Wi-Fi".

If you select it, you get choices
Action Mode {ON or OFF}
Communication Info {SSID and Password}
Reset Settings {Reset or Cancel}
12-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #385
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
My guess is they are just being more wordy. I'm not sure whether that is a style difference between Ricoh and Pentax or whether they want the GR to be more 'accessible' to a potentially less sophisticated user.
12-04-2018, 10:32 PM   #386
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
With the KP, the 3rd menu in the 'tool' group {with a wrench symbol} has a line labeled "Wi-Fi".

Action Mode {ON or OFF}
Yes - similar on K-1, but though the utility is to link via Wi-Fi with a phone or tablet it isn’t labeled that way.
12-05-2018, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #387
Pentaxian

Three-axis, four-shutter-step camera shake .
Top ISO 102400
12-05-2018, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #388
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

Action Mode {ON or OFF}
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes - similar on K-1, but though the utility is to link via Wi-Fi with a phone or tablet it isn’t labeled that way.
Thank you for explaining. It seems that the terminology at least is different. What I find interesting here is that the two items above are "Bluetooth Settings" and "Wireless LAN Settings", which I would expect to be for getting connected. But then what would this new setting be for? My guess would be some deeper integration with phones than we have seen before. The fact that DC Watch chose to show that setting highlighted might be significant.
12-05-2018, 04:19 AM   #389
Pentaxian

Again from Digital Camera Watch, a hands-on review with a description of the GUI.

触ってきました「RICOH GR III」 - デジカメ Watch (in Japanese)

I've touched "RICOH GR III" - Digital Camera Watch (Google translation)

The battery is a new model (DB-110) and so is the 21mm converter (GW-4).

12-05-2018, 05:49 AM   #390
JPT
Pentaxian

Looking at the menu screens in that second article, there is a huge amount of fine control over the visual interface, control behavior and shooting parameters.

I can't translate everything but for the FN button, the assignable functions are:
- Off
- Focus
- Snap focus distance
- File format
- Aspect ratio
- JPEG size
- Metering mode
- ISO sensitivity
- Flash mode
- Flash strength
- Drive mode
- Self timer