Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2018, 03:36 AM - 1 Like   #436
Pentaxian

@JPT: thank you for this link. Another interesting piece of information from the blog entry: the GW-4 21mm converter has a new optical design.

12-08-2018, 04:06 AM   #437
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The GR III will have 2GB internal storage; I don't think write speed will be an issue.
This is internal storage. Not the buffer.
If there is no problem on GR I, why would there be any with GR III ?
12-08-2018, 04:33 AM   #438
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Yes, 2GB of internal storage. I was assuming it would have faster writes than an inexpensive card.
Perhaps someone would mistake the GR for a sports camera?
12-08-2018, 04:42 AM   #439
Pentaxian

Yes, 2GB of internal storage. I was assuming it would have faster writes than an inexpensive card.
Not so sure about that.
And yes, probably

12-08-2018, 04:47 AM   #440
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The logic of the GR is to save size and weight when using it with the DFA150-450 or the DA560 (at least that logic worked for Sony customers who bought into it LoL). [being sarcastic]

---------- Post added 08-12-18 at 13:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Another interesting piece of information from the blog entry: the GW-4 21mm converter has a new optical design.
This was already stated at photokina, that the GRIII would feature a newly designed lens. Having been in Japan recently, and visited Ricoh, and there would be more than one version of the GR III (if I understood correctly, to be confirmed).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 12-08-2018 at 05:01 AM.
12-08-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #441
JPT
Pentaxian

Here's link to a video. The captions are only showing things already known. It does better demonstrate the start up speed.

?????????????????RICOH GR III? - ??? | Yahoo! JAPAN ????????????
12-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #442
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
(...) Another interesting piece of information from the blog entry: the GW-4 21mm converter has a new optical design.
This was already stated at photokina, that the GRIII would feature a newly designed lens. (...)
You read my post a bit too quickly.

The new optical design as a new and interesting piece of information was not about the 28mm (equ.) lens in GR III but about the GW-4 converter (on the left in the picture below) that transforms the lens into a 21mm. The blog entry states is optical design is different from the one of GW-3, the GR / GR II converter.

12-08-2018, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #443
Banned

24 megapixels bring a lot more data.
12-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The logic of the GR is to save size and weight when using it with the DFA150-450 or the DA560 (at least that logic worked for Sony customers who bought into it LoL). [being sarcastic]

But in a sense, that will be true for me, if we allow some flexibility to "with" - the GR III will be a lightweight sidekick to the K-1 + D FA 150-450, a camera to take wide-angle shots without having to carry another DSLR or to change lenses.

---------- Post added 08-12-18 at 03:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
24 megapixels bring a lot more data.
Just 1.5 times more.
12-08-2018, 07:16 AM   #445
Banned

Just 1.5 times more.
Is it? Was GRII 16mp 12-bit raw and GRIII 24mp and 14-bit raw?
12-08-2018, 07:50 AM   #446
Pentaxian

12-bit RAW for GR II and 14-bit RAW for GR III according to Imaging Resource.

Ricoh GR II Review - Specifications

Ricoh GR III Review - Specifications
12-08-2018, 08:09 AM   #447
Pentaxian

1.75 then.
But there are other factors like the compression algorithms (and what data they are compressing), the internal processing speed, the storage write speed...
Unless we measure, we don't know.
12-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #448
Veteran Member

I've never felt my GR (I) to be hobbed un any way because of slow write speed to card.
Not as if the GR was made for action so I dont see the slightest problem.
thibs I am not talking about your GR(I) I am talking about the coming GRIII. The GRIII should have UHS-II. As Ron pointed out the GRIII will have much larger files to deal with that UHS-II would have no problem handling.

In this computer age I find it hard to believe people can not grasp the concept that a slow storage conduit cripples any computer device.

The only reason Ricoh has added 2GB internal storage is most likely that they are using UHS-I. The 2GB internal storage will be used by the system as a scratch disk space to get around the slow UHS-I standards. UHS-II brings a host of other benefits other than 3x times the write and read speeds. UHS-II has extra contacts that allow simultaneous communication in both directions which would eliminate the need for internal storage.
12-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #449
Pentaxian

OK, if speaking only about GRIII then:

If they didnt at least compensate for the bigger files, they are making a big mistake for sure. But we dunno that.

As for the 2GB, i'm not quite sure it is a scratch disk. It could be since they revealed very little specs. But i'm sceptic.
Anyway it is quite early to go to conclusions IMO
12-08-2018, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #450
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The only reason Ricoh has added 2GB internal storage is most likely that they are using UHS-I. The 2GB internal storage will be used by the system as a scratch disk space to get around the slow UHS-I standards. UHS-II brings a host of other benefits other than 3x times the write and read speeds. UHS-II has extra contacts that allow simultaneous communication in both directions which would eliminate the need for internal storage.
Actually not. Memory card keep the content when pulled out of the camera slots, the general term for this is Non Volatile Memory (usually Flash), which, regardless of the technology is slow to write relative to RAM. Access time for RAM counts in nano-seconds, address is decoded and data read/writing is immediate. Access time for any NVM counts in milli-seconds (writing to the Flash is 10000 times slower than RAM access times), concerns even the fastest memory cards such as XQD that resort to buffering (RAM internal to the XQD card on top of flash cells) parallel writing to avoid clogging the serial access. So, if Ricoh added further internal RAM, it is a very good choice, up to the camera to write into the SD card when the camera is not used when the user don't care about those things. We'll see how it's implemented.