Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #451
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
OK, if speaking only about GRIII then:

If they didnt at least compensate for the bigger files, they are making a big mistake for sure. But we dunno that.

As for the 2GB, i'm not quite sure it is a scratch disk. It could be since they revealed very little specs. But i'm sceptic.
Anyway it is quite early to go to conclusions IMO
It's storage.
Any imagined write speed of the GR III is no worse than the K-3's - that camera was made to shoot bursts at 8+ fps.

12-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #452
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We don't know how many fps GRIII could...

KP Continuous H mode
14-bit RAW (7.03 fps);
buffer 10 frames total;
15 seconds to clear
Time per shot, averaged over 10 frame buffer, then slows to an average of 0.68 second or 1.47 fps when buffer is full with a lot of variation.

K-70 Continuous H mode
14-bit RAW (6.06 frames per second);
11 frames total;
14 seconds to clear
Time per shot, averaged over 11 frame buffer, then slows to an average of 0.56 second or 1.79 fps when buffer is full.

I expect the same data for GRIII.

GRII performance
(6.08 frames per second);
10 frames total;
9 seconds to clear
Time per shot, averaged over buffer length of 10 frames, then stops.

Last edited by ogl; 12-08-2018 at 11:05 AM.
12-09-2018, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #453
Veteran Member

So happy this is a non-issue for me. GR for me was not intended to be a machine gun type camera, buffet in GRII was just fine for me personally
12-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #454
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Actually not. Memory card keep the content when pulled out of the camera slots, the general term for this is Non Volatile Memory (usually Flash), which, regardless of the technology is slow to write relative to RAM. Access time for RAM counts in nano-seconds, address is decoded and data read/writing is immediate. Access time for any NVM counts in milli-seconds (writing to the Flash is 10000 times slower than RAM access times), concerns even the fastest memory cards such as XQD that resort to buffering (RAM internal to the XQD card on top of flash cells) parallel writing to avoid clogging the serial access. So, if Ricoh added further internal RAM, it is a very good choice, up to the camera to write into the SD card when the camera is not used when the user don't care about those things. We'll see how it's implemented.
Actually it is biz-engineer. Your post only reinforces what I am saying by pointing out that "Flash" storage is 1000 times slower than RAM access time.

The "buffer" is the RAM component. The data off the sensor is eventually sent to the "buffer"(RAM) then transferred to storage. Which is why it is so important to move to UHS-II to improve the bottleneck the slow storage causes to the rest of the system.

Especially with the increase in file sizes.

12-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #455
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
The "buffer" is the RAM component. The data off the sensor is eventually sent to the "buffer"(RAM) then transferred to storage. Which is why it is so important to move to UHS-II to improve the bottleneck the slow storage causes to the rest of the system.
Sure. But why would they have stated 2G of internal memory in the specs? Would it be 2G internal memory on top of the buffer memory? Or 2G is the buffer itself?
12-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #456
Pentaxian

New operating system requirements.
12-10-2018, 01:05 AM   #457
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Sure. But why would they have stated 2G of internal memory in the specs? Would it be 2G internal memory on top of the buffer memory? Or 2G is the buffer itself?
It's what they stated: internal storage.
They never referred to the buffer in terms of RAM capacity, just as how many images before slowing down.

12-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #458
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's what they stated: internal storage.
They never referred to the buffer in terms of RAM capacity, just as how many images before slowing down.
The "buffer" is "RAM". It's no different than a computer. Data is taken from the sensor processed then sent to the "buffer"(RAM) to be written to storage. The "buffer" doesn't slow down it gets filled up due to the limitation of the control bus for the storage.
12-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #459
Pentaxian

The "buffer" is "RAM". It's no different than a computer. Data is taken from the sensor processed then sent to the "buffer"(RAM) to be written to storage. The "buffer" doesn't slow down it gets filled up due to the limitation of the control bus for the storage.
So, how large is the buffer in the KP, the K-3ii, the K-1ii?
12-10-2018, 09:17 AM   #460
Pentaxian

Of course the buffer is RAM, I sort of know this stuff And what slows down is picture taking (the frame rate). Let's not nitpick more than we should!
What I meant is, they don't specify the buffer in terms of GB (or GiB if you accept the 1GB = 1000MB lunacy).
12-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #461
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The camera is a fast action sports shooter is it? Why is any of this important?
12-10-2018, 11:08 AM - 3 Likes   #462
Pentaxian

What is more efficient than dissing a product because it's not good at what it's not designed to do?
12-10-2018, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #463
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What is more efficient than dissing a product because it's not good at what it's not designed to do?
Yes. I'm sure this camera will be pretty useless at shooting Pennant-winged Nightjars. They should remedy that before anything else!

Sorry. Couldn't resist
12-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #464
Veteran Member

Hey everyone can joke and ridicule that the GRIII isn't a "sports" camera. I certainly haven't said that is what it ought to inspire to be. I think Ogl's post sums it up. The KP and K70 each take 14 and 15 seconds to clear the "buffer" and this is probably what to expect out of the GRIII. Moving to UHS-II the "buffer" would clear in 3 to 5 seconds. This is advantageous no matter what or how you are shooting. Especially for the GRIII when used for street photography.
12-10-2018, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #465
Pentaxian

Hey everyone can joke and ridicule that the GRIII isn't a "sports" camera. I certainly haven't said that is what it ought to inspire to be. I think Ogl's post sums it up. The KP and K70 each take 14 and 15 seconds to clear the "buffer" and this is probably what to expect out of the GRIII. Moving to UHS-II the "buffer" would clear in 3 to 5 seconds. This is advantageous no matter what or how you are shooting. Especially for the GRIII when used for street photography.
In project management, where often several things are happening simultaneously we put any added resources on the slowest process, the one that is actually limiting completion of the project. In this case, I am certain that the processor is what is limiting processing on the KP, K-70, K-1ii, and probably on the GRii. I doubt if they can come anywhere close to clearing the buffer in 5 seconds by simply upgrading the bus to UHS-II .... they need to move to a faster processor.