Pentaxian

Full interview translated by Google:

Ricoh says they will not make a Full Frame GR camera - mirrorlessrumors

12-24-2018, 08:25 AM - 2 Likes   #497
Pentaxian

12-25-2018, 05:53 AM   #498
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have they reduced the contrast on the GR logo compared to the prototypes and the GR II? It looks like it from several recent photos of the camera. Good move if they have,
12-25-2018, 06:59 PM - 6 Likes   #499
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The January edition of Nippon Camera has a four-page report on the GR III. It’s basically a report on the same “GR Night” event that was reported a couple of weeks ago online, but they mentioned some information that I do not remember seeing before.

- They mention specifically that the sensor is the same one as in the K-70. I think this makes sense, because that is the only camera that Ricoh has made with on-sensor PDAF (not mentioned in the KP specs).
- They show the menu of the smartphone connection options - Record location information ON/OFF, Automatic Image transfer ON/OFF, Automatic Image Transfer while powered off ON/OFF. The connection can be used for geotagging. I don’t have a GR II or a wifi-enabled Pentax, so I don’t know how this compares to current models.
- The touch screen AF can be set to - Off, AF point selection, AF point selection + Pre AF, AF point selection + Pre AF + Shutter release. In addition, there is a separate menu item to disable the touch screen entirely.

Separately, the magazine had an interview with all the camera manufacturers about their planned new products for 2019. About half of the Ricoh/Pentax one was focused on the GR III with quite a bit of insight into the planning process.

- This is the first time every aspect of the GR has been renewed - meaning the sensor, lens, engine and GUI.
- The decision to make the camera smaller was due to customer feedback that the GR/GR II
had become a bit too big with the jump to the APS-C. So they decided to review the size of the GR and make it smaller again.
- They were able to do this through miniaturization of the electronic components and developing a smaller version of the DSLR IBIS mechanism that is nevertheless able to stabilize a large APS-C sensor.
- The decision to use IBIS rather than lens-based IS is that having one movable lens element would result in a reduction in image quality.
- The reason they have not made a zoom GR is that it would not be possible to make a zoom lens of the necessary quality to be consistent with the GR line.
- At the suggestion of models with other focal lengths, they said they are not completely focused on the 28mm focal length and they are considering a model with another focal length. However, this was quickly followed up by a comment that having 24mp in the GR III will make the crop modes more usable, whereas 16mp in the prior models made it less practical.
- The two priorities that came up from user feedback were compact size and macro capability. So they improved these two points.
- About the idea of a full frame GR, it would be possible, but there are more drawbacks than advantages. The full size sensor would make the body and lens larger. It would also operate more slowly, so you wouldn’t be able to call it a “snap” camera any more. By the way, when they refer to “snap”, they basically mean what we call street photography in English. The nuance isn’t like holiday snaps.

12-26-2018, 05:33 AM   #500
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The January edition of Nippon Camera has a four-page report on the GR III. It’s basically a report on the same “GR Night” event that was reported a couple of weeks ago online, but they mentioned some information that I do not remember seeing before.

- The touch screen AF can be set to - Off, AF point selection, AF point selection + Pre AF, AF point selection + Pre AF + Shutter release. In addition, there is a separate menu item to disable the touch screen entirely.
Is it real to use touch screen for menu navigation and controls?
12-26-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #501
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Is it real to use touch screen for menu navigation and controls?
Ooku posted this link several pages back. It includes GIFs that show the touch screen being used for menu navigation. You can use the touch screen or use it with the buttons, just like the GR/GXR interface. The GIFs I'm talking about don't show at first. You need to scroll down a little and click the small grey down arrow.

??? ?????GR III??????????????????????????_????_?????
12-27-2018, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #502
Pentaxian

GRIII in Korea.
(??????!) ????? ???, ??? ???? ?? ?? GR3 ! : ??? ???

12-27-2018, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #503

??? ???

Philosophy of Pentax as well?

Last edited by funkythiru; 12-27-2018 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Video link
12-28-2018, 01:36 PM   #504
Pentaxian

Really nice! Love that video!
12-28-2018, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #505
ne!
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by funkythiru Quote
??? ???

Philosophy of Pentax as well?
I think it is, and that video was unlike just about any other corporate communication I've seen this century, as in it feels honest and dignified. Getting excited about the GRIII, thanks for posting!
12-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #506
Veteran Member

This looks like a great update. I can’t wait to get it. Is there an official release date?
12-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #507
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
This looks like a great update. I can’t wait to get it. Is there an official release date?
No. You'll read about it here when it happens, though, Mr Bassie.

12-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #508
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Bassie Quote
Cp+ is end of february, so there will be news around that date.
12-28-2018, 04:25 PM   #509

QuoteOriginally posted by ne! Quote
I think it is, and that video was unlike just about any other corporate communication I've seen this century, as in it feels honest and dignified. Getting excited about the GRIII, thanks for posting!
Credit belongs to Ooku, I just highlighted the video. Hopefully Pentax will have new promo material by CP+.
12-28-2018, 06:45 PM   #510
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
They mention specifically that the sensor is the same one as in the K-70. I think this makes sense, because that is the only camera that Ricoh has made with on-sensor PDAF (not mentioned in the KP specs).
My KP seems to focus relatively slowly in LV, so I'm guessing it doesn't have on-sensor PDAF.