Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2018, 07:19 PM   #511
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
My KP seems to focus relatively slowly in LV, so I'm guessing it doesn't have on-sensor PDAF.
On page three of the features section on the product page, it says so.

“The PENTAX K-70 features PENTAX’s first Hybrid AF system during Live View autofocus operation. By coupling a contrast-detection AF sensor with superior focusing accuracy with an image-plane phase-matching AF sensor positioned on the image sensor’s surface, this innovative hybrid system optimizes the benefits of both AF systems to assure high-speed, pinpoint autofocusing on the subject.”

Features3 | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING

It probably still isn’t that fast, because most lenses weren’t designed for it, but it is in the camera.

12-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #512
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
On page three of the features section on the product page, it says so.

“The PENTAX K-70 features PENTAX’s first Hybrid AF system during Live View autofocus operation. By coupling a contrast-detection AF sensor with superior focusing accuracy with an image-plane phase-matching AF sensor positioned on the image sensor’s surface, this innovative hybrid system optimizes the benefits of both AF systems to assure high-speed, pinpoint autofocusing on the subject.”

Features3 | PENTAX K-70 | RICOH IMAGING

It probably still isn’t that fast, because most lenses weren’t designed for it, but it is in the camera.
I don't understand the relevance of this response. The K-70 came before the KP, so this comment would have nothing to do with what was {later} put in the KP.
12-28-2018, 09:59 PM   #513
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't understand the relevance of this response. The K-70 came before the KP, so this comment would have nothing to do with what was {later} put in the KP.
Sorry. Just misread your post as a comment about the K-70. Should read more carefully.
12-29-2018, 12:46 PM   #514
ogl
Banned

Ricoh GR III First Impression ????、???? - mookio ??

with translation...

it's cool, the only one problem is weak battery, the same time of work like my GXR...200 shots..not above...need at least 4 batteries during travelling

12-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #515
Pentaxian

I doubt you need more than 800 shots without recharging...
Speaking of which, I already have an external battery; I could recharge the camera anytime.
12-29-2018, 04:02 PM   #516
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

with translation...

it's cool, the only one problem is weak battery, the same time of work like my GXR...200 shots..not above...need at least 4 batteries during travelling
Maybe with limited screen use the number can be closer to 300 or more images per battery.

An honest first hand on look.

UHS-II would address both the battery and 4k video limitations.

I have been able to get away with 2 batteries with the GRII.
12-29-2018, 05:45 PM   #517
Pentaxian

with translation...

it's cool, the only one problem is weak battery, the same time of work like my GXR...200 shots..not above...need at least 4 batteries during traveling
Yes, that is one of the costs of a small camera. Is anyone surprised? When I've used a Q-7 as a 'primary' camera, I've filled a pocket with those small batteries.

12-30-2018, 06:36 AM - 3 Likes   #518
JPT
Pentaxian

Photographer Kimio Tanaka has had a prototype GR III for while now and has started posting about it on Twitter.

Not much new information, but he explains how to gain quick direct access to an image processing menu by pressing the wi-fi button in playback mode. It seems like a nice shortcut.

His Twitter is here, but of course you’ll need use a translator if you want it in a language other than Japanese.

????? (@thisistanaka) on Twitter
12-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #519
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I doubt you need more than 800 shots without recharging...
Speaking of which, I already have an external battery; I could recharge the camera anytime.
GXR using is very limited if we talk about numbers of shots, it's not very comfortable to use with changing battery every 200 shots. It's easy to understand when you use any camera with weak battery during travel.

Of course, I can live with it...
12-30-2018, 11:22 PM   #520
Veteran Member

with translation...

USB-C is fast charge possibility, so good power bank will help you 15 minutes of charging get more shots.
12-30-2018, 11:39 PM   #521
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
USB-C is fast charge possibility, so good power bank will help you 15 minutes of charging get more shots.
I think after the last press events it was mentioned that fast charging will not be supported.

Last edited by sundown; 12-31-2018 at 12:56 AM.
12-31-2018, 04:37 AM   #522
Veteran Member

Am I the only one missing a viewfinder? I think (as with Q and K-01) this is really a missed opportunity because even a bad vf will have an advantage against an LCD in the sun...
12-31-2018, 06:25 AM   #523
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
Am I the only one missing a viewfinder? I think (as with Q and K-01) this is really a missed opportunity because even a bad vf will have an advantage against an LCD in the sun...
I don't miss the viewfinder on my GR II. Looking around the interwebz many, including those who bough hot shoe viewfinders, have come to the same conclusion. I shoot my GR mainly gangsta style which produces a different kind of photographs compared to my dslr. They have a more direct style due to the ergonomics and features. I like that it makes me take different photographs.
12-31-2018, 07:39 AM   #524
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxke Quote
I made the same comment back when the pre-announcement occurred. I was told that size is more important than an EVF ...... I guess I'm just not part of their market.
12-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #525
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I don't miss the viewfinder on my GR II. Looking around the interwebz many, including those who bough hot shoe viewfinders, have come to the same conclusion. I shoot my GR mainly gangsta style which produces a different kind of photographs compared to my dslr. They have a more direct style due to the ergonomics and features. I like that it makes me take different photographs.
This is my experience, too. Before getting the GR I was sure I'd miss a proper viewfinder, but I just don't use the GR in that way.

I'd never buy a bigger camera without an optical viewfinder, but that's a different topic.