Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 460 Likes Search this Thread
12-31-2018, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #526
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
This is my experience, too. Before getting the GR I was sure I'd miss a proper viewfinder, but I just don't use the GR in that way.

I'd never buy a bigger camera without an optical viewfinder, but that's a different topic.
While I was considering a "Q", a guy here tried to convince me that the right shirt or the right hat would fix everything - but my Q-7 is unusable in sunlight. I will never purchase another camera without a viewfinder. The GR series seems to have its devotees - which is good for Ricoh, and irrelevant to me.

12-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #527
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
While I was considering a "Q", a guy here tried to convince me that the right shirt or the right hat would fix everything - but my Q-7 is unusable in sunlight. I will never purchase another camera without a viewfinder. The GR series seems to have its devotees - which is good for Ricoh, and irrelevant to me.
Fair enough. It's all a matter of preference.
01-02-2019, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #528
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
This is my experience, too. Before getting the GR I was sure I'd miss a proper viewfinder, but I just don't use the GR in that way.
Same here, when I bought the GR I started looking for one of those hotshoe viewfinders. Then I realized I didn't need one. Not having one immediately made me adopt another way of taking pictures, that I like a lot. It won't work for every kind of photography, but it suits my street-casual-non-pro style very well.
01-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #529
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
Same here, when I bought the GR I started looking for one of those hotshoe viewfinders. Then I realized I didn't need one. Not having one immediately made me adopt another way of taking pictures, that I like a lot. It won't work for every kind of photography, but it suits my street-casual-non-pro style very well.
Some of it is age. I found when I got around 60, I almost never used DSLR live view any more. Presbyopia (which we all get someday) combined with myopia, which many of us already have, makes using a screen no fun. Readers get in the way. I don’t like smartphones as cameras for the same reason. I will never buy another camera without an eye level finder.

01-05-2019, 03:21 AM   #530
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Some of it is age. I found when I got around 60, I almost never used DSLR live view any more. Presbyopia (which we all get someday) combined with myopia, which many of us already have, makes using a screen no fun. Readers get in the way. I don’t like smartphones as cameras for the same reason. I will never buy another camera without an eye level finder.
As a matter of fact, I'm 45 and presbyopia is starting off slowly. Not yet to the point of making it difficult to see the GR display at normal arm's distance, but I definitely can't read the smallest text on cans anymore…
I mainly use the display to check exposure blinkies though, so hopefully it won't be too annoying for many more years
01-05-2019, 06:43 PM   #531
JPT
Pentaxian

Among this discussion of the lack of a viewfinder, I haven't seen anyone mention the GV-1 or GV-2 accessories from Ricoh, or the possibility of using any third party one. The GV-2 in particular is very compact.

However, i don't think I would buy either, because once I get a sense for 28mm again, I should be able to see the shot anyway and just pull the camera out to take it. That's what I ended up doing with the GR Digital, and to some extent with my K-01 + 21/40/77mm kit. It's different with zooms. Having said that, I do realize that framing is not the only use for a viewfinder, especially an EVF.

By the way, I just noticed that the code number on the bottom of the GR III says R02010, which means that the new camera Ricoh registered last October is now accounted for.
01-12-2019, 10:54 AM - 2 Likes   #532
Pentaxian

On the website of Seiki P&C, which is both the official importer of Ricoh Imaging in South Korea, their official repair centre in South Korea and a store in Seoul

https://www.saeki.co.kr/saeki_main.asp

there is a pop-up

linking to a page reporting on a public preview of the GR III (pre-production model) that took place on 20 December 2018.

(김대리가간다!) 스냅사진의 최강자, 새롭게 꽃단장을 마친 리코 GR3 ! : 네이버 포스트

Tomohiro Noguchi, the global head of product planning at Ricoh Imaging ('Head of the Personal Multimedia Products Company Planning Office'), attended the event.

Close to the bottom of that page there is the following sentence:
QuoteQuote:
내년 2월 말에 제대로 만나요!
which means 'See you next year at the end of February!'

Let's remember that CP+ 2019 will take place in Yokohama from 28 February to 3 March.

01-13-2019, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #533
Pentaxian

Ricoh GR III kompaktikamera | Top Shot - Kamerakauppa
Preorderable. Available on 1.31.2019
01-23-2019, 04:59 AM   #534
Pentaxian

The teasing continues:

Coming soon: die neue RICOH GR III (newsletter from Ricoh Imaging Germany)

01-23-2019, 05:07 AM   #535
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
The teasing continues:
What is this mysterious camera? I'm curious.
01-23-2019, 05:08 AM   #536
Pentaxian

What is this mysterious camera? I'm curious. Would it fit in the old Pentax K5 camera bag, sure. Will there be a special classic bag sized for the GRIII?
01-23-2019, 06:15 AM   #537
Pentaxian

GRIII sample from official GR.blog
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
01-23-2019, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #538
Pentaxian

The sensor is tilted!
01-23-2019, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #539
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
GRIII sample from official GR.blog
Nice. I've always been impressed by the GR's images.

Looks like people are starting to gather at the store to wait for the official release!
01-23-2019, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #540
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The sensor is tilted!
Firmware update will fix that...