Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 04:42 AM   #586
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Ricoh GR III
Small goodie, truly pocketable apsc camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I wonder how that works out in euro....
I would guess < 999 Euros, if it's more it won't sound like sub 1K camera.

02-21-2019, 05:04 AM   #587
Pentaxian

According to Nokishita Camera, the Ricoh GR III should be available in late March 2019.

Japanese street price (discounted and including the 8% Japanese VAT): ¥121,500 (i.e. $1,015 -which is more than the $899.95 RRP- and €1,075).

Source: https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1098436203542507521
02-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #588
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
We just had the DA* 11-18mm.
...which was announced last year and was supposed to be shipping in "Spring 2018"...

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
And the 35mm f2 refresh...
...which is a refresh of a 20 year old screw-drive lens...

QuoteOriginally posted by brofessor Quote
Are we avoiding what many are really interested in? A flagship APS-C. Does this GR3 announcement mean we are not getting it this time either?
I think you're likely correct...this show will be about the GR III. There has been none of the usual leaks/rumors about a new DSLR for this show. We'll get to (finally) see the 11-18, maybe a prototype 70-200/f4. It would make sense to have a new APS-C to go with the 11-18, but this seems unlikely now.

I am interested in the GR III - I'd love to have the 24mp sensor. Will be interested in what they have done to improve dust resistance. It would be a great companion to a 24mp DSLR, especially if the sensor performance is on par with that of the KP.
02-21-2019, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #589
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrNPhoto Quote
...which was announced last year and was supposed to be shipping in "Spring 2018"...
Its development was announced in 2017, and was initially scheduled for summer 2018.
But we have to count it somewhere... either in 2018 (scheduled launch year), or 2019 (effective launch year). We should not eliminate it from history.
I choose the effective launch year.

02-21-2019, 07:09 AM   #590
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Small goodie, truly pocketable apsc camera.

I would guess < 999 Euros, if it's more it won't sound like sub 1K camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
According to Nokishita Camera, the Ricoh GR III should be available in late March 2019.

Japanese street price (discounted and including the 8% Japanese VAT): ¥121,500 (i.e. $1,015 -which is more than the $899.95 RRP- and €1,075).

Source: Twitter
It looks like Europe is maybe going into a little economic dip over the coming months with all that Brexit will bring. So a camera like GRIII for 999 euro.......who knows maybe there are some customers for it in The Netherlands, but better to find them elsewhere I think.
02-21-2019, 07:56 AM   #591
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
That is just the point, a K3II replacement has never been a realistic "promise" in the past 1,5 years, whilst it was expected with a fairly big degree of certainty, and even demand, by many. I was also "waiting" for such a camera to go with my DA560, because the K3(II) did not have sufficient AF capability and reliability, and its high iso was not that great. The KP has clearly been Pentax' plan with higher positioned APS.

I have been trying to develop a realistic take on where Pentax has been heading and ís heading. I believe the GRIII is all for now. Why? Simply because there are no indications that a new APS body is near announcement, let alone release, so its existence is mostly in expectations and wishful thinking. I believe a new ASPS body ís a possibility for this year, but fár from a certainty.

B.t.w. I am in fact mostly positive about Pentax products. My posts show that I was very positive about the new DA11-18* lens, positive about the FF K1mkII, very positive about the DA560 in the past, when virtually everyone was scolding this lens. Not so positive about the KP, true. It is however not realistic to look away from the lack of support with new products that máy be vital to some....
I don't necessarily disagree with you. When the KP was offered at rock-bottom prices on Black Friday, I spent a few uncomfortable hours until I decided to purchase one - I was trying to understand what is in Pentax's future. I believe, but do not know, that Pentax has also had some uncomfortable moments. Looking at the market, the future of APS DSLR is unclear; "FF" SLR was the standard during the age of film, and APS DSLR became standard at the beginning of the digital age solely because of cost, but in the past dozen years they have done of good job of building an ecosystem around it. In the past few years, they've demonstrated the difficulty of building a new ecosystem around "FF"-DSLR or anything-MILC. "FF" MILC seems to be where the other companies are going, but it isn't clear whether sticking with APS DSLR is an opportunity or a trap for them .... Pentax lost market during the transition to AF - Canon's decision to jump to EF-mount seems to have been a good decision, since they gained market while the other companies slowly went there. Pentax lost market during the transition to digital. If we are in the middle of another major transition, Pentax might not be able to survive a third weak response; my guess is that indecision has delayed the K-3ii replacement project.
02-21-2019, 08:22 AM - 5 Likes   #592
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brofessor Quote
Are we avoiding what many are really interested in? A flagship APS-C. Does this GR3 announcement mean we are not getting it this time either?
Yes. We're ignoring Pentax K-Mount in the "Ricoh GR III" thread. There are hundreds of other threads to discuss things other than the Ricoh GR III...maybe get angry in one of those instead?

02-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #593
Pentaxian

Android system.
02-21-2019, 08:31 AM   #594
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It looks like Europe is maybe going into a little economic dip over the coming months with all that Brexit will bring. So a camera like GRIII for 999 euro.......who knows maybe there are some customers for it in The Netherlands, but better to find them elsewhere I think.
I guess it would be fine for me if Ricoh would decrease the price in Austria and increase the price in the UK.
02-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #595
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Android system.
?

02-21-2019, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #596
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I guess it would be fine for me if Ricoh would decrease the price in Austria and increase the price in the UK.
As much as anything it will depend on the state of currency markets and local pricing of its competitors. They (hopefully correctly) will think it's worth a lot more than an XF10, a bit more than a LX100 but should probably undercut the X100F to attract buyers. Here that points to maybe £999 or £949 or something. But if outlets are being briefed now, we should start getting pre-order pricing soon.
02-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #597
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Android system.
iOS system
02-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #598
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't necessarily disagree with you. When the KP was offered at rock-bottom prices on Black Friday, I spent a few uncomfortable hours until I decided to purchase one - I was trying to understand what is in Pentax's future. I believe, but do not know, that Pentax has also had some uncomfortable moments. Looking at the market, the future of APS DSLR is unclear; "FF" SLR was the standard during the age of film, and APS DSLR became standard at the beginning of the digital age solely because of cost, but in the past dozen years they have done of good job of building an ecosystem around it. In the past few years, they've demonstrated the difficulty of building a new ecosystem around "FF"-DSLR or anything-MILC. "FF" MILC seems to be where the other companies are going, but it isn't clear whether sticking with APS DSLR is an opportunity or a trap for them .... Pentax lost market during the transition to AF - Canon's decision to jump to EF-mount seems to have been a good decision, since they gained market while the other companies slowly went there. Pentax lost market during the transition to digital. If we are in the middle of another major transition, Pentax might not be able to survive a third weak response; my guess is that indecision has delayed the K-3ii replacement project.
The successor to the K3 may have been delayed, who knows. Last year at CP+ I was really closely interested in Pentax' plans for APS-C, because I wanted to replace the K3. I became aware that the KP could well be Pentax' intention with APS-C, and suggested that a "K3 successor" might not be as near as was generally expected. I believe that was not appreciated. I have however come to see that as a logical cause for the remaining absence of a new Pentax APS body myself, and have noticed how since CP+ last year, people have slowly started to accept the KP, and I would not be surprised if sales picked up since then. The bottom line is that Pentax is not a philanthropic institution meant to cater to my needs or wishes, it is a commercial company, and it may very well come down to selling enough of the KP stock before Pentax allows a new APS body on the market.
In that sense, it is a good thing that people have in general revised their opinion of the KP and have started to buy it instead of demanding a K3 successor. For me personally though, the KP was not the solution for the DA560. Suggesting that Pentax is not the right brand for those wanting the latest tech and regular product updates, may be seen as brand bashing, but then people forget that Pentax is a commercial company to be run, and it is i.m.o. not realistic to ask more than the few products that Pentax is able to get out the door and to market. The KP will have to sell, at least an amount that satisfies Ricoh's financial demands for pentax, for a new APS-C body to hit the market, that is the way I see it.

Chris

Last edited by Chris Mak; 02-21-2019 at 09:57 AM.
02-21-2019, 10:22 AM - 1 Like   #599
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
The successor to the K3 may have been delayed, who knows. Last year at CP+ I was really closely interested in Pentax' plans for APS-C, because I wanted to replace the K3. I became aware that the KP could well be Pentax' intention with APS-C, and suggested that a "K3 successor" might not be as near as was generally expected. I believe that was not appreciated. I have however come to see that as a logical cause for the remaining absence of a new Pentax APS body myself, and have noticed how since CP+ last year, people have slowly started to accept the KP, and I would not be surprised if sales picked up since then. The bottom line is that Pentax is not a philanthropic institution meant to cater to my needs or wishes, it is a commercial company, and it may very well come down to selling enough of the KP stock before Pentax allows a new APS body on the market.
In that sense, it is a good thing that people have in general revised their opinion of the KP and have started to buy it instead of demanding a K3 successor. For me personally though, the KP was not the solution for the DA560. Suggesting that Pentax is not the right brand for those wanting the latest tech and regular product updates, may be seen as brand bashing, but then people forget that Pentax is a commercial company to be run, and it is i.m.o. not realistic to ask more than the few products that Pentax is able to get out the door and to market. The KP will have to sell, at least an amount that satisfies Ricoh's financial demands for pentax, for a new APS-C body to hit the market, that is the way I see it.
That's a very balanced opinion, Chris

The only point I'd respectfully disagree with - and I'm paraphrasing you here, so please correct me if I get it wrong - is that somehow folks have softened and warmed to the KP due to the absence of a K-3II successor. I've seen nothing in these forums to suggest the KP was ever a slow seller, nor that sales improved substantially when no K-3II successor was announced at CP+ last year. I don't doubt that a few folks, like you, bought the KP when they'd rather have had a K-3II successor, but otherwise it seems to have been - and continues to be - a popular camera in its own right, and for good reason. Any growth in sales is, I believe, due to the gradual fall in the KP's street price, and several attractive discounts offered at various times in various countries.

Personally, I doubt that we'll see a K-3II replacement at CP+. Possibly this year, but I tend to think it would be closer to the end of the year... or maybe early 2020.

I guess we'll know when we know
02-21-2019, 10:46 AM - 4 Likes   #600
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I guess we'll know when we know
With the greatest of respect...can we move the K-3III talk into one of the many K-3III speculation threads? Or one of the many 'why is Pentax so slow' threads for that matter...

The GRIII seems to be creaking its way towards release and it would be good to keep this (GRIII) thread un-hijacked, for those of us who are extremely excited about this news.